comcast dvr stopped working

Kountzer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Houston, Texas
Hello,
I have comast cable tv. The dvr box comcast is loaning me is a sceintific atlanta. A week or so ago the dvr function stopped working. I am a big user of dvr. I am quite often not at home, and i rely on dvr to keep up with programs I really want to see. After talking to a csr on the phone, I took the box back in and replaced it with another box. the 2nd box is also scientific atlanta. The dvr function on the 2nd box worked well for a few days. Now ithe dvr function on the 2nd box is not working. Now I am frustrated.

I also have a dish 508 dvr box that is connected to a satellite dish pointed at the 61.5 satellite. I run the coax cable from the comcast box through the dish box. I then control the on/off function and the volume with the dish remote.
Question: is this configuration the reason the dvr function on the comcast box keeps dropping? It worked fine like this for several months.

I plan to go to the local comcast payment center and exchange the 2nd box for another one. This time I am not going to run it through the dish network box. If it drops for a third time i am going to drop comcast cable tv and go back to dishnetwork.

Any information someone has to share on this problem will be much appreciated.

regards,

Kountzer

I've heard of issues with the SA box reliability before. Does your Comcast support different boxes? Perhaps they have some of the Motorola DVR units laying around. They also have a lot of weird operational issues, but reliability doesn't seem to be one of them.

I've heard of issues with the SA box reliability before. Does your Comcast support different boxes? Perhaps they have some of the Motorola DVR units laying around. They also have a lot of weird operational issues, but reliability doesn't seem to be one of them.

That wouldn't work. The Scientific Atlanta systems are not the same as the Motorola systems and they are incompatible with each other. So, if the OP is in an SA area, that's all that is available to him. He should just go get another box.

That wouldn't work. The Scientific Atlanta systems are not the same as the Motorola systems and they are incompatible with each other. So, if the OP is in an SA area, that's all that is available to him. He should just go get another box.

Bummer. Learned something new today. Thanks.

Another thought. Are the SA HD boxes more reliable? The OP may not be happy about upgrading, but it would get him away from this flaky unit.

Kountzer, are they giving you new boxes or ones that have been in service? If they are giving new ones, they may have a batch with bad discs. You might try asking for one that was returned from service instead as it may be more reliable. It's all I can think of. They control the inventory, and you are stuck with their limited choices.

Bummer. Learned something new today. Thanks.

Another thought. Are the SA HD boxes more reliable? The OP may not be happy about upgrading, but it would get him away from this flaky unit.

Kountzer, are they giving you new boxes or ones that have been in service? If they are giving new ones, they may have a batch with bad discs. You might try asking for one that was returned from service instead as it may be more reliable. It's all I can think of. They control the inventory, and you are stuck with their limited choices.

The last box they gave me appeared to be new.

DB aka kountzer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts