Comcast DVR

andygradel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I'm looking at going with a Comcast DVR in about 2 or 3 weeks, but wasn't sure if it'd be better off to wait a little bit due to the deal they announced with Tivo a few months ago... Has anyone heard if is Comcast slated to come out with a new DVR anytime soon or is Tivo going to have a Comcast-compatible model?

Comcast is not going to offer a Tivo standalone box. They are going to have Tivo functions initiated in their present day Motorola boxes. Go for it now, when it becomes available, order it, and they will download it to your box.

Don't see why it would need to be a 3412 since that would limit Comcast in their rollout of the service. The 3412 is a digital only box while the 6412 still has analog functionality otherwise they are the same box though. So the software should work on either one. To be honest though I'll stick with the regular Comcast software unless they load the Tivo software for no additional monthly charge. It does what I want it to do quite well and I haven't had any issues with it.

Edit: After a few moments of thought I would be willing to pay a small monthly fee for the Tivo software as long as Comcast enables the Tivo2Go functionality. That's really the only feature that does not have an equivalent feature via the Comcast box short of running a long (and expensive) firewire cable from the box to my PC. But I'd be plenty willing to hook the 3412 into the home network if it supported that option.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice... A Comcast DVR it is in about 2 weeks!

Looking forward to watching one NFL game while DVRing the other and seeing what I missed when the first game is in commercials.

Don't see why it would need to be a 3412 since that would limit Comcast in their rollout of the service. The 3412 is a digital only box while the 6412 still has analog functionality otherwise they are the same box though.

Not sure what you mean.

I just swapped my 6412 for the 3412, which shows all the analog channels as well as the digital ones. I also have the coax connected directly to the tv to enable my pip.

As far as I can tell, there seems to be no difference betweent the two models. MY remote did some strange things wittth the 6412 so I though that I would start over with a fresh box.

By the way, the 3412 can be programmed for the 30 second skip with the same code as used with the 6412.

Shelly

Not sure what you mean.

I just swapped my 6412 for the 3412, which shows all the analog channels as well as the digital ones. I also have the coax connected directly to the tv to enable my pip.

As far as I can tell, there seems to be no difference betweent the two models. MY remote did some strange things wittth the 6412 so I though that I would start over with a fresh box.

By the way, the 3412 can be programmed for the 30 second skip with the same code as used with the 6412.

Shelly

The 3412 models are only available in markets that have upgraded their systems to advanced digital simulcasting. Using this box cannot give you any analog channels as the box has no analog tuner in it. All your channels below 100 are now mapped with digital feeds instead of the analog ones. Analog channels are still being offered without the use of a box but if you have the 3412 your getting all your channels in digital with that box.

Again these 3412 boxes only have a QAM tuner while the 64xx models have both a QAM and analog tuners. The two great benefits of these boxes are that when using them you get an all digital lineup and you now have tons and I mean tons more storage if you mostly record channels below 100.

The 3412 models are only available in markets that have upgraded their systems to advanced digital simulcasting. Using this box cannot give you any analog channels as the box has no analog tuner in it. All your channels below 100 are now mapped with digital feeds instead of the analog ones. Analog channels are still being offered without the use of a box but if you have the 3412 your getting all your channels in digital with that box.

Again these 3412 boxes only have a QAM tuner while the 64xx models have both a QAM and analog tuners. The two great benefits of these boxes are that when using them you get an all digital lineup and you now have tons and I mean tons more storage if you mostly record channels below 100.

Thabnks for the explanation.

My box is set to output 1080i. If I watch fox, nbc et al during the day when they do not have any hd, the hd channels of these stations have black bars along the 4:3 picture which I totally understand.

But if I go to the lowere channel numbers of these same stations (the ones that used to be analog, they are stretched which, I thought, woould only happen with a lower feed (not 1080i)

My box must not be outputting those channels in 1080i. Would it be 480i done digitally as opposed to an analog 480i?

Shelly

Thabnks for the explanation.

My box is set to output 1080i. If I watch fox, nbc et al during the day when they do not have any hd, the hd channels of these stations have black bars along the 4:3 picture which I totally understand.

But if I go to the lowere channel numbers of these same stations (the ones that used to be analog, they are stretched which, I thought, woould only happen with a lower feed (not 1080i)

My box must not be outputting those channels in 1080i. Would it be 480i done digitally as opposed to an analog 480i?

Shelly

As bobby said that is what is being done. Just think of all channels above 100 and the only change is that with these boxes Comcast is doing the same stuff for channels below 100 as they always have done for channels above 100.

6412 vs 3412

I have the 6412 and find that I get tight on disk space frequently. Does the 3412 have a larger hard drive or what? Should I swap out my 6412 for it?

I have the 6412 and find that I get tight on disk space frequently. Does the 3412 have a larger hard drive or what? Should I swap out my 6412 for it?

No they both have the same size disk. You need a 3416 to get a 160GB drive. I wish they would enable the use of the eSATA port so we can add our own extra space.

No they both have the same size disk. You need a 3416 to get a 160GB drive. I wish they would enable the use of the eSATA port so we can add our own extra space.

Yeah I just turned in my 6412 and got the 3416 today. The larger disk and the newer processor was all i needed to hear to make up my mind. I was having all sorts of problems with the disk space and the response time. Hopefully this will work a little better. I've been a Comcast HD/DVR'r since April 2005 and so far I have mostly good things to say about it. I've already turned my parents and a friend on to it as well. Thanks all for your help!

The IEEE 1394 is enabled and can be used with a computer, but...

You can connect your computer to the DCT3412 or 3416 using the IEEE 1394 if your PC/MAC have the port. However the cable companies provide no technical support for doing this, but it's authorized.

That's not what Comcast reported to me... they told me it does use the computer's HD.

Yes, but that doesn't increase your DVR disk space. That only allows you to copy the current program that is being viewed.

Comcast tech support told me that my DCT3412 would utilize the hard drive of my PC when using the IEEE 1394. Hmmm... well just have to try it out and see how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)