Comcast for Dish....

drdr said:
I had the Comcast 6412 for about 10 months. I had nothing but problems with it. My experience was probably atypical, and most other people around here seem satisfied.

I went back to E* and have been very happy with the 942. The main advantage to the 6412 is that there is no upfront cost or long-term contract. This made it much easier for me to dump Comcast and go back to E*.

Good luck to you with that Comcast thing.

Comcast does not make the 6412 Motorola does. If you had problems you should have had it replaced.

After dumping Comcast and paying $$$ for your 942, remember that after the warranty you will be out of luck unless you pay more by buying into E*s service program. Hard drives don't last forever so put some money aside for that raining day when it goes belly up.

Also when it is time to upgrade from the 942 get ready to dig deeper.

You said that one of the "main advantages" was that you did not have to pay upfront cost for the 6412, was there any advantage that you had to pay for the 942?

Enjoy the 942.

I had a 6412 the last time I tried Comcast and it did leave a lot to be desired (reminded me of why I got rid of E*/811 in the first place). However, on this try with Comcast I have a 3412 (we're on digital simulcast system) and so far it's behaving much better then the 6412 did.

halfsek said:
Dumb question... what is the digital simulcast system?

Simultaneous analog and digital channels. Comcast is updating it's system to incorporate all digital channels. As it processes this upgrade it will still maintain the analog channels temporarily.

halfsek said:
Dumb question... what is the digital simulcast system?

As the prior responder said. So when on a ADS system when you tune in a channel that would normally be in the analog service the STB automatically tunes in the digital version of the channel. Any TV that doesn't have a digital STB would still be able to tune in the analog version of the channel. The cable companies are working on an inexpensive digital STB that they can deploy to free up the analog channels.

For the Comcast digital simulcast system, are the SD digital simulcast channels in the clear? In other words, can you tune in those SD channels with a QAM tuner without cableCARD? That works here on Comcast with HD network channels but digital simulcast hasn't started yet.

hiker said:
For the Comcast digital simulcast system, are the SD digital simulcast channels in the clear? In other words, can you tune in those SD channels with a QAM tuner without cableCARD? That works here on Comcast with HD network channels but digital simulcast hasn't started yet.

I did read somewhere that it has worked. Some HDTVs with the digital tuner included or cable card have been reported viewable. This was reported by someone that setup their parents new HDTV to their Comcast cable and he was surprise that it was showing these channels.

I have both the 942 and 6412 at the moment. My wife and I agree. The 6412 is a POS compared to E*'s 942. Only reason I have Comcast is for HD locals. We also enjoy the inHD channels. As soon as my HD locals are available from E*, so long Comcast.

Bulldog said:
Comcast does not make the 6412 Motorola does. If you had problems you should have had it replaced.

After dumping Comcast and paying $$$ for your 942, remember that after the warranty you will be out of luck unless you pay more by buying into E*s service program. Hard drives don't last forever so put some money aside for that raining day when it goes belly up.

Also when it is time to upgrade from the 942 get ready to dig deeper.

You said that one of the "main advantages" was that you did not have to pay upfront cost for the 6412, was there any advantage that you had to pay for the 942?

Enjoy the 942.
Actually, I knew that the 6412 is made by Motorola. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone else, though.

I had two 6412 boxes in my home and they both had similar issues. The problem was with the signal coming into my home and was seen on both analog and digital channels. Once Comcast replaced all of the analog signals with digital (digital simulcasting), the problem was exacerbated.

The main advantage to the 942 is that the picture and sound don't break up every 5 minutes on all digital SD/HD channels as they did when I had Comcast.

The picture problems were caused by Comcast having severe problems with their transmission equipment in my neighborhood. Other Comcast customers in my area report the same issues. Comcast was unable to fix these problems after 10 months, so I switched back to E*. I am well aware of the trade-offs involved in terms of upfront and future costs.

I understand the Comcast provides good service for many people, and many of their customers are satisfied. To their credit, they made many attempts to fix the signal problem at my home. They replaced multiple distribution amplifiers and dug a new line from the curb to my home. Unfortunately, they utterly failed to solve the problem. I think Comcast may be a good option for other people, i.e. those who don't live on my street.

As far as the 6412, the hard drive is 1/2 the size of the 942. It does have firewire output, but I didn't use that. It does not have anamorphic SD video out for recording HD programs to DVD. THe software has a significant bug where it will ignore multiple remote control commands for 15-45 seconds, then execute them all at once. It is not possible to have multiple favorites lists for the program guide as with the 942. The adult programming blocking functions did not always function properly, presumably due to defective guide data. The search capabilities are quite rudimentary compared to the 942. The number of bugs requiring reboots is similar to the 942. When you do a hard reset (unplug the power) on a 6412, you loose all of the programming guide data for several hours until the unit downloads it from Comcast.

The on-demand service is a nice feature, but there is no HD on-demand in my area yet, so I rarely used it. And, yes, the upfront cost was less than the 942. If you are mostly concerned about initial cost, then Comcast may be a better deal.

My opinion is that if you are mostly concerned about price, you might want to find a less expensive hobby than HDTV.

drdr said:
Actually, I knew that the 6412 is made by Motorola. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone else, though.

I had two 6412 boxes in my home and they both had similar issues. The problem was with the signal coming into my home and was seen on both analog and digital channels. Once Comcast replaced all of the analog signals with digital (digital simulcasting), the problem was exacerbated.

The main advantage to the 942 is that the picture and sound don't break up every 5 minutes on all digital SD/HD channels as they did when I had Comcast.

The picture problems were caused by Comcast having severe problems with their transmission equipment in my neighborhood. Other Comcast customers in my area report the same issues. Comcast was unable to fix these problems after 10 months, so I switched back to E*. I am well aware of the trade-offs involved in terms of upfront and future costs.

I understand the Comcast provides good service for many people, and many of their customers are satisfied. To their credit, they made many attempts to fix the signal problem at my home. They replaced multiple distribution amplifiers and dug a new line from the curb to my home. Unfortunately, they utterly failed to solve the problem. I think Comcast may be a good option for other people, i.e. those who don't live on my street.

As far as the 6412, the hard drive is 1/2 the size of the 942. It does have firewire output, but I didn't use that. It does not have anamorphic SD video out for recording HD programs to DVD. THe software has a significant bug where it will ignore multiple remote control commands for 15-45 seconds, then execute them all at once. It is not possible to have multiple favorites lists for the program guide as with the 942. The adult programming blocking functions did not always function properly, presumably due to defective guide data. The search capabilities are quite rudimentary compared to the 942. The number of bugs requiring reboots is similar to the 942. When you do a hard reset (unplug the power) on a 6412, you loose all of the programming guide data for several hours until the unit downloads it from Comcast.

The on-demand service is a nice feature, but there is no HD on-demand in my area yet, so I rarely used it. And, yes, the upfront cost was less than the 942. If you are mostly concerned about initial cost, then Comcast may be a better deal.

My opinion is that if you are mostly concerned about price, you might want to find a less expensive hobby than HDTV.

Yes, I agree with you that Comcast provides good service for many people, and many of their customers are satisfied. I like to compare apples to apples and your full explanations and descriptions help to clear up gray areas for me and I guess other folks.

The main concept is that we all have a choice. I did have E* and their wonderful 811 box, I did go with the Comcast's "Ditch the Dish" deal because of the savings and the fact that I was going to get my local networks, FOX, WB and PBS in HD not to mention a lot more HD in the movie pac's.

In addition, I figured that within 16 months (Which was my deal) that both D* and E* will get their act together in HD and then not only will I have a choice but I would have been saving about $38 a month to pay for a HDDVR from either D* or E*, if I decide to go that route.

Your statement "My opinion is that if you are mostly concerned about price, you might want to find a less expensive hobby than HDTV." well, I do not care about any of them D*, E* or Comcast, I just want the best bang for my buck. I did buy a HDTV and getting the best bang for my buck for even the cost of that HDTV also applies for my HD provider.

Comcast is providing me with more HD including locals and cost less money for the time being and the HD is of a better true HD because it is not Down Reezed I don't think that I am the only person that sees nothing wrong with that. and it has nothing to do with having an expensive hobby.

A lot of people got screwed with the 811 and other products after paying big $$$ and even now with the new boxes coming up many folks paid a lot of money just a few months ago and their screwed because they will have to pay more to get into another box, especially if they want Locals in HD when they come around.

If you read D*s, E*s and Comcast forums you will see that many folks complain and declare that they are going to the competitor: E* subs go to D*, D* subs go to E* and so on. It is a good thing that we have choices.

I was impress with your response and I did not mean any disrespect toward your
decision, I was just wondering about the reasons behind the advantages that you were using.

Regards:)

Last edited:
I have had Direct, Dish, Bev, Voom and, now Comcast (along with Dish HD pak+Voom only).

Back in the day, we were all starved for any hd content. I remember having family and friends gather around the pj to watch the demo channels from Dish, Direct and Bev. There were few other shows to watch much of the time.

Locally, I remember when my networks did not even have stereo, and then got stereo one at a time, and then went digital, finally, without any hd. Local folks thought that the digital picture they received was HD. Not.

Of sourse, Voom was the very best for HD for both content and picture. I sure do miss it.

But my Comcast HD picture is as good as Voom ever was, but the number of included channels is limited in my area--fox, nbc, cbs, inhd 1 & 2, discovery, espn, hbo, showtime, cinemax, starz + nfl/special events channel).

My Dish hd + voom channels are not near the quality of Comcast.

I also have 2 hd dvr's from Comcast and have had no glitches at all.

Comcast is pricier than the others, though as they charge a $6.95 digital access fee and $9.95 dvr fee for each of my receivers. The regular hd receiver haas the digital access fee + $5 monthly rental.

I used to think that I needed to have everything that existed in HD (Voom spoiled us) but there is more now available than I have time to watch. I may ditch Dish soon.

But my 6 sat dishes are still in place just in case. :)

Shelly

Bulldog said:
I was impress with your response and I did not mean any disrespect toward your
decision, I was just wondering about the reasons behind the advantages that you were using.

Regards:)
Thanks, I'm just a little touchy about Comcast because I had such a bad experience with them. I didn't mean to insult anyone.

I agree with you that everyone keeps threatening to switch, and the grass always loooks greener with another provider. There are trade-offs with all of these HDTV services. Having choices should be good for everyone in the long run.

Also, people don't realize that Comcast services and pricing are dramatically different depending on which state you are in. E* is relatively uniform across the country. In some areas, Comcast has equal or better HDTV than E*, in other areas it is much less.

Yea, the price of comcast sucks, but the picture quality is really good, I had comcast and Voom at the same time, I couldn't tell the difference. My DVR on the other hand has a mind of it's own, I haven't had the time to call in and have it replaced yet..

I mentioned the on-demand HD stuff was in HD-Lite, not postive, but I watched war of the world the other day and the picture was really crappy, maybe it was just that movie... :)

Either way, you still have to pay "extra" to watch the ondemand stuff in HD... :(

I currently have the 6412-PhaseIII and the 942...

Hands down without even breaking a sweat the 942 KO's the 6412 in every way except starting cost. Th 6412 isnt even a polished / stableas my 508 but you get what you pay for.

Bulldog said:
And neither is the price, Let's see $0.00 for the 6412 and what was the price for the 942/622?:confused:
Sadly it was more then that. It was $150 nonrefundable lease fee and its $10.95 per month. Just raised to $14.95 a month. Each additional is $21.90 per month. Thanks to the local franchise charging a fee for each additional digital outlet. I've gone through 6 units in 6 months and they couldnt give a rats ass as long as the payment is on time.

I pray to god some 622's are released. I do not want to pay comcast any longer.

Last edited:

Vip622 monthly fees

What's the point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts