Comcast has very bad reasons for wanting to buy Time Warner Cable

That's sounds like a very good business plan on the part of Comcast...start making the freeloaders, like Netflix and Google and Amazon Hulu and Youtube, and their subscribers, pay to use the billions of dollars of network infrastructures they are saturating...and not the average Joe who uses the Internet responsibly by paying the cable company and local franchise authority to stream video. If I were the FCC, I would approve this merger and, at the same time, request Congress pass legislation requiring A La Carte and other consumer friendly measures.

As a Cable/Telecom shareholder, I'm outraged at the lengths Netflix and their gaggle of freeloaders will go to protect their free-ride. I just hope Verizon and AT&T start throttling the hell out of these freeloaders until they pay their fair share of the network bills. Netflix accounts for nearly 30% of Internet traffic and they, and their customers, are certainly not paying 30% of the bills. I have no problem with NetFlix and Amazon users paying a $1 surcharge for each full-length movie they stream.

Freeloaders?

They pay their bandwidth bill like everyone else.

Just like SatelliteGuys we pay for our bandwidth... today we serve something like 250,000 pages a day, but what if something amazing happened and suddenly we were serving One Hundred Million pages a day? Well since we pay for our bandwith by the terabyte guess what our bandwidth bill would go up that we pay to our ISP.

Now someone like Comcast is going to say to us... hey.. your site SatelliteGuys is too popular now and too many of our customers are going to your site. We want you to pay us because of the amount of traffic our customers are using to get to your site, or if you dont we may throttle the speeds down for our customers when they access your site. In fact Comcast might even call us freeloaders as we are not paying to use their network.

How is that right and how is that freeloading? This is the internet, and I paid for my bandwidth that our members use I don't have any business with Comcast so why should they demand money from me?

That's what I don't get.

Reactions: jbrelish
That's sounds like a very good business plan on the part of Comcast...start making the freeloaders, like Netflix and Google and Amazon Hulu and Youtube, and their subscribers, pay to use the billions of dollars of network infrastructures they are saturating...and not the average Joe who uses the Internet responsibly by paying the cable company and local franchise authority to stream video. If I were the FCC, I would approve this merger and, at the same time, request Congress pass legislation requiring A La Carte and other consumer friendly measures.

As a Cable/Telecom shareholder, I'm outraged at the lengths Netflix and their gaggle of freeloaders will go to protect their free-ride. I just hope Verizon and AT&T start throttling the hell out of these freeloaders until they pay their fair share of the network bills. Netflix accounts for nearly 30% of Internet traffic and they, and their customers, are certainly not paying 30% of the bills. I have no problem with NetFlix and Amazon users paying a $1 surcharge for each full-length movie they stream.
So by your logic, everyone that uses Comcast internet is stealing it? Do people not pay a monthly bill to Comcast or any other ISP that they use? And of that monthly bill we really get crap speeds for the price. For $70 a month I should be getting 100 mbps up and down.

Being a shareholder you should be against A La-Carte as that would cut into the cable Co's profits.

riffjim has made it clear in other threads that he does not use/ have online video services like Netflix, so I guess that in his mind no one else needs these services since he does not use them. I also pay extra for broadband, since I always went above the 300 GB data cap limit at my 50/10 Blast service, I upgraded to the Extreme 105/20 service to get the 600GB data caps, I pay a extra $30 a month for that since most of my TV watching is online.

Last edited:
riffjim has madr it clear in other threads that he does not use/ have online video services like Netflix, so I guess that in his mind no one else needs these services since he does not use them.

I also pay extra for broadband, since I always went above the 300 GB data cap limit at my 50/10 Blast service, I upgraded to the Extreme 105/20 service to get the 600GB data caps, I pay a extra $30 a month for that since most of my TV watching is online.
And they will keep charging more as people continue to drop traditional cable for internet service only. They don't want to lose that cash cow that is cable service. No matter how hard Comcast tries they won't kill off Netflix. The scales have tipped to far now that there is no going back.

Dish dishes out concerns to FCC on potential Comcast-TWC deal http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/dish-150229880.html
Dish urges FCC to block Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal
Hot Stock Minute 2:23 mins
Dish Network is urging the FCC to block the potential Comcast-Time Warner Cable deal because it would present "serious competitive concerns." http://finance.yahoo.com/video/dish-urges-fcc-block-comcast-134437971.html If Dish Is Against The Comcast, Time Warner Merger Then That's A Reason To Favour It http://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors...rner-merger-then-thats-a-reason-to-favour-it/

Multichannel has the following information...

The FCC has extended the comment deadline for input on the proposed Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger to at least Oct. 29 and stopped the informal shot clock on the deal, saying that Comcast's 850-page reply to its critics includes new information that will take longer to peruse and adding that Comcast's Sept. 11 reply to a follow-up data request was not complete and the materials remain outstanding.

Dish had sought an extension and Comcast and TWC had opposed it. -
"in order to permit commenters to submit well considered Replies to Responses and Oppositions," said the Bureau, " we grant the DISH Motion, and extend the deadline for filing until October 29, 2014. The Commission will make any necessary determination as to whether the Commission’s self-imposed 180-day shot clock for reviewing transactions should be stopped separately from this notice."

multichannel.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts