Comcast HD vs. Dish HD Programing

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Well folks in my area just in time for the Olympics, Comcast will be completing their system-wide upgrades. Comcast will be offering initially 9 HD channels with increases as more cable and network offerings become available. Comcast will have: HBO, ESPN, Cinemax , Showtime, Starz, HD Net, HD Movies, 2 in-demand PPVs. In addition, my locals in HD: NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, WB affiliates. I have just 4 months left on my 811 commitment, so I guess I'll try them. I think it will be awhile before "E" the "HD me-too" company comes up to speed.

-Does anybody else have similar offerings and did you change over?

1. I bet you that HDNet and HDNet Movies are NOT being carried by your Comcast.
2. The 2 InDemand PPVs are likely actually INHD & INHD2, which are not PPV channels, but HDNet like channels.

Cyclone said:
2. The 2 InDemand PPVs are likely actually INHD & INHD2, which are not PPV channels, but HDNet like channels.

I'll check into it.

I had Comcast HD, and while fairly satisfied with their HD lineup, I wasn't satisfied with the constant price increases, plus in my area regular cable channels looked like crap. Analog was unwatchable and their digital seemed over compressed or something. When anything moves, it's so tiled that it looks like complete poop. And with CC I had to run separate OTA HD turners to get the rest of my locals. I'm getting essentially the same programming for $15 less with DN (I get local HD OTA) and no longer need my OTA HD tuners.

Cyclone said:

A number of cable companies DO carry HDNet/HDNet Movies, so those channels are definitely not exclusive to satellite:
http://www.hd.net/watch_at_home.html

But, you are probably correct concerning Comcast, as they are not listed.

Correct. If fact some people have Cable Companies that have Both INHD & HDNet channels. Now that is having a good lineup. But I was being specific about Comcast. I'm in a Comcast area, and I'm waiting to see if they even pic it up. I'm a Champ Car fan, and wouldn't pass up a CC race in HD on HDNet for another lineup.

GaryPen said:
A number of cable companies DO carry HDNet/HDNet Movies, so those channels are definitely not exclusive to satellite:
http://www.hd.net/watch_at_home.html

But, you are probably correct concerning Comcast, as they are not listed.

Hi Guys, When I first started this thread it was based on our local newspaper article for our area. We have both Adelphia and Comcast. I did call Comcast and they do not carry the HDNet and HDmv. It was in fact Adelphia. The newspaper reported as both cable companies carrying them. Just wanted to set the record straight.

Yes, I do understand some of or should I say many of the pitfalls of Cable, But they will give me a trail to convert me over along with some special pricing. But I know it is a gimmick. In fact they wanted me to turn in my "E" equipment for some more deals. While I still have my old "D" equipment, I might use that to trade in. This way I'll still hold on to my 811 for sale on E-Bay. Anyway, I am a movie buff and also it will be nice to get my locals in HD too. I think it will be awhile before "E" gets the complete Government approval for locals and a new satellite up to add more HD.

So if the cable trail goes bust, I'll still have my "E" equipment to hold on a little longer and perhaps until the HD war really heats up between all providers.

skeedatl said:
I had Comcast HD, and while fairly satisfied with their HD lineup, I wasn't satisfied with the constant price increases, plus in my area regular cable channels looked like crap. QUOTE]

Yep, I had the same problem with comcast in my area (Rescue, CA). The local channels when coming through the HD box were totally green!! I kept thinking it was my new TV (mitsubish 65", HD-ready). When I switched to satellite the green was gone. But now, I wished I had comcast again as they have added more HD channels, including almost all locals while nothing from dish yet.

The local cable company(currently charter) here (paris,TN) has always been a joke. No HD, locals are a rebroadcast of an OTA antenna that they can't aim right.... BUT they can get me 5M internet (they say 3, but it is capped at 5, and I will never complain :D )

explain that to me. :rolleyes:

But if they ever get their act together I will propably switch. However, I extremely doubt it.

Doesn't digital cable use the same type of compression E* and D* does (Mpeg? ) I got to play with a friends WOW (Wide Open West) Digital cable box this weekend at his place and flipping thru the channels, you had a slight delay before the picture would appear (speciallly bad on the Music choice channels) and I noticed on some of the lessor channels (MTV Hits, durning fast movement a hint of blocks) -- This was on a 35" HDTV ready unit).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)