Comcast in the Dallas area

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
So how is the Comcast digital cable service in Dallas?

Wife and I are thinking of switching once we move into our new home next month. How does the HD look?

Any talk of future HD channels?

If you are used to the Dish DVRs...you will absolutely hate Comcast's.

true that..i had a 522 DVR and when i made the move to Comcast..i hate it..

on the HD note...

i dont think there are going to be any additional addons soon.. right now i currently have

ABCHD
NBCHD
FoxHD
ESPNHD
DiscoveryHD
WBHD
UPNHD
PSBHD
INHD
INHD2
StarzHD
HBOHD
ShotimeHD
CinemaxHD
TNTHD

i think they might add ESPN2HD

also on that note...Time Warner is planning on taking over the Dallas area from Comcast so additional programming might be coming such as HDnet

Last edited:
StevenD said:
If you are used to the Dish DVRs...you will absolutely hate Comcast's.

I hated the Dish DVRs. I'm not liking the molasses performance from our HD DTivo either.

Anyone know when the Time Warner takeover will happen?

Hi Neutron,

I live in Dallas and have had comcast for about a year- switched to get HD locals which neither D* nor E* had at the time. HD picture looks on par with D*/E*, SD quality is average. DVR is absolutely, 100%, horrible.

Prior to comcast I had DirecTivo's, and prior to that E* with 811/508's.

DTivo : Best UI, best features. Hated the fact that you needed a phone hookup for SW updates, since i could never get this working with Vonage. Thats the only reason im not going back...

E* : average DVR, average UI

Comcast: the worst I can imagine for UI, features, functionality, and ease of use. Check the area you are moving to-- some areas (like mine) do NOT offer dual tuner DVR, which I get annoyed with daily.

I really was hoping comcast would be the winner. Im VERY glad there are no contracts with comcast, im probably going back to E* now (never thought id say that).

Hope this helps!

I'm a Dallas Comcast sub, switching to D* for Sunday Ticket, primarily. The cable system does suck, no other way around it. HD DVR is horrible, I've been on the waiting list for a dual tuner for about 6 months and they still don't know when it will be available.

Comcast Pros: first year of HD, HD DVR, HBO and cable modem was $80 total. No contract, but as deals run out, your bill goes waaaay high.

Comcast Cons: HD quality is suspect - I don't think it is a good representation. as other posters have said, UI is aweful, DVR functionality is weird.

I can't imagine a service being much more wishy / washy. I'll report my DirectTV findings in a few weeks.

What HD-DVR boxes does Comcast issue now?

I'd like to get the latest and greatest with HDMI.

The sales lady kept telling me they use 5-prong cables (I am assuming she meant Component with analog audio).

Are any of you able to get Verizon's FiOS in your area? I've heard great things about the quality and content of their HD programming. Don't know about the DVR.......guess it's by motorola.

Nope, where our new house is, is in an AT&T (formally SBC) area.

Comcast Dual Tuner

If you are moving downtown, try to ditch comcast! I lived downtown and suffered daily with pauses and stops! The single tuner Cable box has a sucky interface. Now since I have moved further north (still Dallas) I have access to the dual tuner cable box and am much more happy with the service. Im pretty much staying with them because of On Demand and the Dual tuner dvr.

Call comcast to ask if you have a two cable or one cable system where you are moving. IF you have two cables then you can only get that crappy single tuner dvr. In this case I would suggest going for Sat.

digideal said:
I'm a Dallas Comcast sub, switching to D* for Sunday Ticket, primarily. The cable system does suck, no other way around it. HD DVR is horrible, I've been on the waiting list for a dual tuner for about 6 months and they still don't know when it will be available.

Comcast Pros: first year of HD, HD DVR, HBO and cable modem was $80 total. No contract, but as deals run out, your bill goes waaaay high.

Comcast Cons: HD quality is suspect - I don't think it is a good representation. as other posters have said, UI is aweful, DVR functionality is weird.

I can't imagine a service being much more wishy / washy. I'll report my DirectTV findings in a few weeks.

Comcast sucks!!!!

I was supposed to be installed today between 11-2 and the damn tech never shows up. I called to find out why and was told the tech came by and no one was home (bull!!!!). The earliest they can get me is now late next week. Screw that. My wife is calling AT&T and DISH when she gets home.

The tech actually told his supervisor that I was lying and that I never answered the door. He didn't even describe my house right yet had my address correct. So the CSR called me a liar too. Comcast pulled this same crap last year at our apartment too. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)