Comcast internet is so slow

chargersrool

Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
united states
[h=4]I have 16 Mbps Comcast internet with about 5 upload, whenever I play a game on computer or Xbox, the game lags, the internet is not constant, sometimes its 2 Mbps download, sometimes its 30 Mbps, what could be the problem?[/h]

Are you using WiFi or Ethernet?

Before you blame it on Comcast's network be sure it isn't your internal network. Run 30 - 40 Speedtests over a couple of days, compute the average and the standard deviation. Do this using both an Ethernet connection and Wifi. If the speed is more variable using WiFi then the problem is yours. WiFi is convient but it is subject to interference which reduces throughput.

You can also test your internal network if you have the right applications.

also to make sure your modem has the correct bootfile, unplugging it for 30 seconds, then rebooting it will make sure it has the performance bootfile downloaded, 16mb went up to 25, blast which was 25-30 went up to 50, and Extreme50 went up to 105. Extreme105 went away and XFinity Platinum Connect is coming the the northeast sometime soon, However from my research, you need to rent an arris802 mta atm, not sure what the modem is, but you need to run 8channels not 4 for the 305down package when its out. other than that, you can check your signal by going to 192.168.100.1 in any browser. Click on signal (assuming you have a surfboard modem) your downstream should be from -10 to +10 if your over +10 its not really a problem till you get over +15. Lower than -10 is an issue. Your upstream should be between 35 and 49.9 again 52ish is ok, anything over 54 is bad news where you wanna call comcast and tell them your modem is failing grandslam and you need a tech out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts