Comcast internet problem

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
We have a wireless gateway. It's an Arris. Our laptop picks up the signal some of the time and our 2 smartphones pick up the Wi-Fi sporadically. We have tried everything from unplugging everything 1-2 minutes, hard reset, getting a refresh signal, and having a tech out. When the tech was out he found low signal and supposedly fixed that. We have to reset the gateway maybe 4-5 times a day and if we are lucky, it works off and on for a few hours. We had another Arris and it would just quit broadcasting the signal. Also have a Roku that can't pick it up. Had a SMC wireless gateway and it worked fine for years and finally crapped out. Any help would be really appreciated.--Thanks, Andy

The arris 852gs are junk, the 862gs are better, but either way, the comcast gateway is a piece of garbage in my opinion, but what do i know im ajust a comcast tech lol.

Word of advice, arris has done everything right up until this product, if you have cdv, request an arris 722, and get a good netgear router. Low signal will cause the gateway to drop block sync from time to time if its bad enough, but the wifi is a problem caused by the unit itself. The SMC's were better than the arris, but as a tech, I just dont like them, too locked down, and much better performance from a good router in general.

If you dont have cdv, and you use the gateway as a wireless modem only, then purchase yourself a motorola SB6180 call up comcast save your self 7bucks a month in owning your own modem, and then buy a wireless router. Tell them send a tech to Pickup your old gateway. If need be tell them you want a SRO, this will make it a free visit (SRO is a type of order in the system, stands for special request order) Tip the tech like 15-20bucks and hell probably set your router up for you if he has the time :) If you need assistance that is.

If you're interested in a free router, check out SamKnows.com. They're doing a study on internet service (all legit) and they'll give you a free modem and even tech support with it. I've been participating for a few years. With Comcast I'm using their Netgear 3500 wireless N router and it's a stable as a rock. Have my own Linksys modem and between the 2 never a problem and stable, fast wireless connections.