Comcast may be interested in Dish?

Stargazer said:
I read a Yahoo article where it said that Comcast was wanting to get Disney but I also noticed where they should get Dish.
I don't think it would ever happen. FCC and SEC probably would have some very strong words against it. However, in a way I'd love to see Comcast's spin doctoring them buying into Dish. How exactly do you tell people that dish users have all these problems...then go out and buy one of the companies and sell dishes yourself.

cdru said:
I don't think it would ever happen. FCC and SEC probably would have some very strong words against it. However, in a way I'd love to see Comcast's spin doctoring them buying into Dish. How exactly do you tell people that dish users have all these problems...then go out and buy one of the companies and sell dishes yourself.

You mean like Cablevision and Voom....

I may have missed read the article, but I thought it was saying that Di$ney should buy Dish.

rudolpht said:
You mean like Cablevision and Voom....
Except Cablevision has 3 million customers and Voom has a few hundred thousand. Comcast has 21 million subscribers and Dish has 9 million.

Except that Cablevision created Voom from the ground up and Comcast would be purchasing an established company.

Except that Voom will still be a nitch company for the immediate future while Dish isn't

Except that Voom and Cablevision aren't direct immediate competitors and Comcast & Dish are.

Othere then these things...it's the exact same circumstances.

Just because someone at UBS Warburg or whoever says Echostar should be a target doesn't mean that it is. Charlie would have to want to sell and he hasn't given any indication that he does. Echostar could stay just as it is for a long time to come, especially if it enters into long term marketing partnerships as it did with SBC. There's no hurry to sell.

Charlie needs another big company to provide capital and distribution avenues for Dish. With Rupert and Newcorp and now Directv , they will be a large powerhouse to compete with. To me Disney would be the right fit. THis would help Disney fend off Comcast takeover bids. It would give Dish the big studio and bankrolling it needs to survive. Charlie could stay in control as the ceo of Dish with some deal worked out with the buyout. He is in the cat bird seat on this. But as far as time to deal? No he needs to come up with a partner pretty quick if he wants to be a viable company in the future. Rupert will destroy Dish with all their announced changes. Dvrs for all existing customers and no fees . Video bits included in all info bubbles for a preview of the show, Kind of like a trailer for a movie. Downloading all pay per views to the dvr hard drives and if you want them you pay for them just like VOD with cable. And that is just what he announced recently. I also heard they want to use the spaceway satellites to do hd locals. Charlie needs to compete or be taken over or bought out completely. IF he initiates the deal he can work a deal where he retains control over Dish with limited oversight. OF course I could be wrong and Dish will surprize us all and he will stay independent.

Just think: The Walt DISH-NEY company might be the new name. :yes

Either that or DirecTv takes over Dish by putting them out of business and offers their customers a special swapout promotion. But before that would happen Dish would come put with something or with a partnership to fend off DirecTv, I would think, because CEO's do not usually just allow their companys to just go down without a fight.

They are the leader. Were they not the first to put a HD channel up? Just because others do better than them doesn't mean they are not the leader.

If employed, look at the boss. (S)He's still the leader, even if you are smarter.

JL

There is a difference between "leader" and "first to do something".

For example, Xerox produced the first computer graphical interface. They are not the leader in that, though.

To lead means you are in the front of the pack and Dish has definitely fallen way behind VOOM. Just because they were first to put up HD does not make them the leader, that's like saying the person who completes the first lap of a race is the leader for the whole race, regardless of where they finish.