Comcast modem/router advise...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BlueEos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
Sammamish Wa
After about 3 years of Qwest DSL, I want to come back to Comcast cable for my internet needs. I understand that I can lease a modem for $7 a month, but would prefer to buy one. I find the Comcast online recommended modems very confusing. I want a modem/wireless router. I would prefer the N protocol but will go for a G unit.

Today I went to Best Buy and bought a Zoom model 5350 (DOCSIS 3.0). On the box it says it is certified for all USA cable services, but in looking it up on the internet, I found some information that says it is NOT compatible with Comcast. One user said he was told by a Comcast installer the modem would not work with Comcast.

I'm located in the Seattle area if it makes any difference. Can anyone recommend a modem/wireless router that will work with Comcast and have WPA security?

Thanks for any input on this matter...

After reading a few posts here, I'm starting to think my Zoom modem in this thread may be fine. I think the negative posts were dated about 2 years ago and things may have changed.

Still would appreciate any input. I'm keeping my DSL account until I see my Comcast access up and running. Elsewhere on this forum I've seen hints that Comcast cable has monthly data limit. Hope I'm not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire by this switch. Far as I know, Qwest DSL has no limits. On a good day, I get about 8-9Mbps down and 0.7Mbps up. Main reason for the switch is the intermittent lost of the DSL signal and the promise of higher speeds with Comcast.

I think they limit you to 250 GB per month., and you should really never hit that cap anyways.

As far as your modem, im not 100% sure if it will work with Comcast. Consider this, If Comcast is a major provider in your area, why would Best Buy sell a cable modem that did not work with Comcast? They would get returns from every single customer who did not do their research, and do you think Best Buy would want to deal with having to take returns and trying to sell open box garbage after its been returned?

I also recommend the Motorola products. For the cost of renting for 10 months, you can buy. If you have their telephone service, you currently have no choice but to rent from what I have been reading, proprietary device if I read it correctly.

After about 3 years of Qwest DSL, I want to come back to Comcast cable for my internet needs. I understand that I can lease a modem for $7 a month, but would prefer to buy one. I find the Comcast online recommended modems very confusing. I want a modem/wireless router. I would prefer the N protocol but will go for a G unit.

Today I went to Best Buy and bought a Zoom model 5350 (DOCSIS 3.0). On the box it says it is certified for all USA cable services, but in looking it up on the internet, I found some information that says it is NOT compatible with Comcast. One user said he was told by a Comcast installer the modem would not work with Comcast.

I'm located in the Seattle area if it makes any difference. Can anyone recommend a modem/wireless router that will work with Comcast and have WPA security?

Thanks for any input on this matter...

You can buy the Motorola modems at Best Buy or Walmart. Cheaper at Walmart ($62 around here).

I also recommend the Motorola products. For the cost of renting for 10 months, you can buy. If you have their telephone service, you currently have no choice but to rent from what I have been reading, proprietary device if I read it correctly.

You can buy an EMTA at some Best Buys or you can buy one online.

You can buy the Motorola modems at Best Buy or Walmart. Cheaper at Walmart ($62 around here).

You can buy an EMTA at some Best Buys or you can buy one online.

Thanks to all for help with getting a cable modem. What are EMTA modems? It appears that they are straight modems. I would prefer one with a built-in wireless router along with the 4 ethernet outputs. I guess I'l mosey down to Best Buy and Walmart to take another look. My local Best Buy didn't have any Motorola modems about a week ago.

Thanks to all for help with getting a cable modem. What are EMTA modems? It appears that they are straight modems. I would prefer one with a built-in wireless router along with the 4 ethernet outputs. I guess I'l mosey down to Best Buy and Walmart to take another look. My local Best Buy didn't have any Motorola modems about a week ago.

An EMTA is the combined Telephone/Internet modem. They have wireless versions of those as well. Look for Dory router.

There are wireless versions of the Motorola cable modem as well.

I bought the Motorola Surfboard 6120... It's DOCSIS 3 capable. I have had 0 problems and my Downloads improved from 20 Meg on the $7 rental to 35 Meg on mine. Comcast has a list of modems they recommend and this was one of them. Set me back 79 on Amazon.

How did you get the SB6180 to work with Comcast? I have been on the phone with Comcast reps for hours trying to get in touch with an engineer with no luck. If there happens to be something I'm missing I would be quite pleased to find out what that is. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

How did you get the SB6180 to work with Comcast? I have been on the phone with Comcast reps for hours trying to get in touch with an engineer with no luck. If there happens to be something I'm missing I would be quite pleased to find out what that is. Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

if this question was related to my post (#11) then I apologize as I see my typo - should have been SBG6580; I cant go back and edit that post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts