[COMCAST] My switch experience (Dish to Comcast)

nsafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Denver,Co
Well I moved recently and was pretty much forced to get Comcast. I had planned on using them for cable internet but not for TV. But since I do not have a patio/balcony at my new apartment and the management does not allow dishes to be put on the roof or side of the building there isn't much I could do about it. All in all though it has worked out well.

Things I like so far:

1) The DVR box is a lot nicer than I expected. I had a primitive picture of Comcast DVRs but they are pretty darn good. Going to take some getting used to but given a little bit of time I can get used to any piece of tech. I have a Motorola 3412 for reference. The USB, firewire and ethernet ports on the back of the unit intrigued me but currently they don't seem to do anything I look forward to future plans for them.

2) The picture quality is very comparable to Dish and I really can't tell the difference in terms of picture quality. I was a bit afraid of this as my parents have some serious shadow issues on their television set at home. I think I may take a good look at their wiring and see if I can fix it next time I go by there.

3) Customer service so far has been pretty darn nice. I actually switched out to the DVR today (started with a standard digital box) and called to see which service centers close to me were still open. The operator told me the address of the closest one and hours of operation. What really impressed me was that when I came home I found a message from Comcast. The guy I had spoken to actually took the time to call me back when he found out the location that he had sent me to was out of DVRs. Guess the inventory system was a little bit messed up since I did get one without a hassle but still taking the time and effort to call me back to save me a wasted trip gets a big :up from me. Had to fix a tech issue as well (box only saw the digital stations and none of the analog) and tech support was great as well. Took a little bit of time to fix it but the whole experience was pretty pleasant.

4) On Demand is freaking AWESOME. There's a large variety of programs and movies you can watch and while they are not all free the free selection gets refreshed enough that they aren't dull. I can definitely see why Dish is working in this direction with Movies on Demand. But since that's really nothing more than a PPV service that loads them onto the DVR hard drive there really is no comparison between the two.

Overall I'm quite happy with the switch and I look forward to more stuff from Comcast.

Last edited:
I switched from E* to Comcast a little less then a year ago too, I moved into a rental house until we build a new home on same property that we moved from and I could not get a line of site to the E* satellite from the rental house, too many trees in the back yard and can not mount on roof or front of house.

1. I just upgraded on Friday to the same DVR box that you have. I did not have a DVR with E* so I can not compare it, however I too have found it easy to use and do not understand some of the complaints I have heard about these box's. The only complaint I have is that the extra monthly cost is a little more then what I was expecting. I was told that since I had 2 standard digital STB's that the primary one was included in digital service and that the 2nd standard STB was $6.95/mo and if I upgraded the 2nd STB to a DVR it would be $9.95/mo or only $3 more then the standard box, and this is one of the ways I was selling the DVR to my wife. I came to find out however that I still have to pay $6.95 for that 2nd outlet and the $9.95/mo for the DVR was on top of this, ouch! :( This makes it quite a bit more then the DVR's from E* and D* and almost as much as a standalone Tivo. Unlike the standalone Tivo's however it does have 2 tuners and I can record digital channels directly. I have a 30 second skip feature on my DVD burner which I liked and I have programed this into the DVR's remote, here is where to go on this forum for instructions on how to do this if your interested; HowTo - 30 second Skip trick for the Motorola 6412 DVR - SatelliteGuys_US.htm. I talked to a Comcast tech, and she indicated that the USB and Ethernet ports can allow a connection to your PC or an external hard drive for additional recording space.

2. I have found basically the same thing as you except I am not sure that the analog channels pq is quite as good as E* all digital line up, but not enough of difference to matter that much, however digital simulcasting is suposed to start here sometime this year.

3. I have found the same thing, no complaints as to customer service.

4. I too love the VOD, Comcast just added this feature here in the Chattanooga area around the 1st of the year.

I also have Internet through Comcast, and love this as well. I only had dial-up at my old house because we get dial-up for free through my wife's work and DSL was not available yet. I am now spoiled to broadband and will not likely ever go back to dial-up again. Once I build a new home on my old property, if DSL or if the rumored Wi-Max E* D* joint venture is available buy then, I may decide to go this route for Internet if I return to E* or switch to D*for TV at that time.

Cable in general has improved so much since the last time I had cable which was years ago, it is becoming a tougher choice now, although since I do not have an HD TV and I am only getting SD, E* is still cheaper then Comcast even with the bundling discounts figured in. If I were to upgrade to a HD TV however, since the HD channels do not cost extra on Comcast unless you need to upgrade equipment, cable is actually cheaper here for HD, just not as many National HD basic channels as E* or even D*.

Last edited:
Hi nsafreak,

Are you sure you are really a Comcast customer? Your post reads like a Comcast AD. :confused:

Yes I'm a Comcast customer, if you want I can take a picture of my TV setup with my Comcast box and me holding a little sign saying, "Yes Petwanel I really am a Comcast customer" ;) .

P.S. I would have preferred to stay with Dish, but I had no choice in the matter since I have no place at my apartment that falls under the exclusive use rule. I'm just happy that it worked out as well as it did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)