Comcast offers 4K

Wow it's now 2021 and still no full time 4K channel

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It is not Comcast’s fault or DirecTV, Dish, Charter, etc.

Broadcasters have to offer such a channel, but they are putting their resources elsewhere
(Streaming ).

It is not like there is not enough 4K programming, so much I cannot even keep up and I am retired.

Reactions: John2021 and dtv757
Correct and yes this was another old article that showed up in my Tapatalk app

We do get a lot more sports events in "4K" now but agree its the content owners.

Amazing this is a late 2014 article and its now 2021 ..that was more of my point

MLB EI (Dodgers home games) and NBA LP (Lakers, Nuggets, ) home games are also in 4K and not on xfinity

Correction bulls and Blackhawks home games are 4K on xfinity

It is not Comcast’s fault or DirecTV, Dish, Charter, etc.

Broadcasters have to offer such a channel, but they are putting their resources elsewhere
(Streaming ).

It is not like there is not enough 4K programming, so much I cannot even keep up and I am retired.
I don't know if we'll ever see a linear channel that broadcasts in 4K 24/7 and is marketed as a 4K channel, e.g. HBO 4K. I think there was an expectation that that would happen because that's how it happened with HD; over time, HD versions of channels rolled out and replaced the old SD version.

But so much of the high-value entertainment content now being produced isn't destined for linear channels but rather on-demand streaming apps, and typically in 4K. Perhaps we'll see shows and movies airing on cable and broadcast networks also start showing up in 4K too, but if/when that happens, I expect that cable operators will just offer it in that format via their on-demand platform. (DTV and Dish satellite services might put those shows on their few dedicated 4K channels that feature content from a variety of networks.) I know that some recent FX shows have been available in 4K the following day on Hulu. I don't know if cable operators are given the 4K version to distribute to their customers. (Would be weird if not, but who knows.)

Think about the typical cable channel and what percentage of its content is new stuff (which might be produced in 4K) and how much of it is reruns from years past. To launch a dedicated 4K version of the channel would mean going back and rescanning lots of old content into 4K or, more likely, just artificially upscaling all that old HD content into 4K, which is something your 4K TV/cable box can already do pretty well. That would mean cable operators would have to devote a big chunk of bandwidth for a 4K channel that is mostly just airing upscaled HD stuff.

Now, as cable operators dump QAM and switch to managed IPTV, their system should be able to switch the stream sent to viewers from HD to 4K on the fly. So while the cable box/app remains positioned on the same linear channel, the resolution of that channel's stream could increase or decrease depending on the show being aired. Kinda the same way that YouTube works, where different videos in the same auto-playlist will stream to the viewer in different resolutions.

I don't know if we'll ever see a linear channel that broadcasts in 4K 24/7 and is marketed as a 4K channel, e.g. HBO 4K. I think there was an expectation that that would happen because that's how it happened with HD; over time, HD versions of channels rolled out and replaced the old SD version.

But so much of the high-value entertainment content now being produced isn't destined for linear channels but rather on-demand streaming apps, and typically in 4K. Perhaps we'll see shows and movies airing on cable and broadcast networks also start showing up in 4K too, but if/when that happens, I expect that cable operators will just offer it in that format via their on-demand platform. (DTV and Dish satellite services might put those shows on their few dedicated 4K channels that feature content from a variety of networks.) I know that some recent FX shows have been available in 4K the following day on Hulu. I don't know if cable operators are given the 4K version to distribute to their customers. (Would be weird if not, but who knows.)

Think about the typical cable channel and what percentage of its content is new stuff (which might be produced in 4K) and how much of it is reruns from years past. To launch a dedicated 4K version of the channel would mean going back and rescanning lots of old content into 4K or, more likely, just artificially upscaling all that old HD content into 4K, which is something your 4K TV/cable box can already do pretty well. That would mean cable operators would have to devote a big chunk of bandwidth for a 4K channel that is mostly just airing upscaled HD stuff.

Now, as cable operators dump QAM and switch to managed IPTV, their system should be able to switch the stream sent to viewers from HD to 4K on the fly. So while the cable box/app remains positioned on the same linear channel, the resolution of that channel's stream could increase or decrease depending on the show being aired. Kinda the same way that YouTube works, where different videos in the same auto-playlist will stream to the viewer in different resolutions.
There is not the WOW difference between 4k and HD that consumers saw with HD and SD

No real demand for 4k linear channels
With streaming filling the void

There is not the WOW difference between 4k and HD that consumers saw with HD and SD

No real demand for 4k linear channels
With streaming filling the void

And I think that because many ISP’s have data caps, that we won’t see much in the way of linear 4K streaming either.

Reactions: dtv757

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)