comcast replaces wiring--no more tiling

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
The main cable feed (decades before Comcast came here) to our home was done in 1979 with a fairly thin coax.

aI recently activated Comcast HD and got tons of picture breakups (tiling) on hd channels. ESPN was unwatchable. Also could not receive one of my local hd channels at all.

Comcast replaced the main cable to the house which runs underground through a conduit. They had to bring heavy duty air compressor to blow cable through the conduit.

The main cable is a monster in size and appears to be at least twice as thick as the cables running from my sat dishes and from cable tv throughout the house.

HD reception now is perfect with improved sd picture as well.

No charge and done within a week of my first call for service.

Just wanted to say something nice about Comcast.

Shelly

You were one of the fortunate ones. For me however, not so. I have had the same troubles. My coax service drop showed signs of deterioration due to 2 water softeners flooding out the conduit. The super-hyperband channels kept fading in and out, tiling on all digital channels, etc. etc. 2 service calls later and the only gain I got was a cable tv booster located in the utility closet were all the coaxs are home ran. Ended up calling a friend who used to work for the outfit, he got a good length of RG11 cable and took it between the cable tap and the ground block. Come to find out that the initial installer had left a shiner that touched the center conductor right out of the cable tap, signal was doomed to the start. Well, now I have a perfect signal on everything...maybe even a little too much. The DVR box needed a slope filter so that those super-hyperbanded channels don't overlap. So now I'm cherry, but I'm out a six pack and some cigars instead of having the cable guy do the job for what he's paid for.

I was having trouble getting Discovery HD along with bad reception on some analog channels after the initial Comcast installation. Comcast came back out today and the tech took a reading of the signal and did something to the cable outlet in the wall. All I know is that all the channels look fine now. He also said Comcast will be making channels 2-99 digital before too long. The tech was quite knowledgeable. The only problem I have right now is with sound drop-outs. I forgot to mention that to the tech. When it happens, I change the channel and then go back to the original and it usually comes right back. The DVR works good too. Thanks Comcast. By the way, I live in Garland,Tx.

mdanderson said:
I forgot to mention that to the tech. When it happens, I change the channel and then go back to the original and it usually comes right back. .

I get that too especially when using dolby digital, optical cable. This issue only occurs on the analog channels below 100. I usually hit the swap button, and use the other tuner.

For some reason one tuner will pipe out the analog SD channels over optical cable, but the other will not. It took me a while to figure this out. Very strange problem. I read that you should never turn the box off, and never leave it tuned to an analog channel overnight. Since I have done that, I no longer have any issues.

skakusha said:
I get that too especially when using dolby digital, optical cable. This issue only occurs on the analog channels below 100. I usually hit the swap button, and use the other tuner.

For some reason one tuner will pipe out the analog SD channels over optical cable, but the other will not. It took me a while to figure this out. Very strange problem. I read that you should never turn the box off, and never leave it tuned to an analog channel overnight. Since I have done that, I no longer have any issues.

I have been turning by box off at night but I am wondering why this would make any difference in the operation of the unit. Thanks.

Matt

mdanderson said:
I was having trouble getting Discovery HD along with bad reception on some analog channels after the initial Comcast installation. Comcast came back out today and the tech took a reading of the signal and did something to the cable outlet in the wall. All I know is that all the channels look fine now. He also said Comcast will be making channels 2-99 digital before too long. The tech was quite knowledgeable. The only problem I have right now is with sound drop-outs. I forgot to mention that to the tech. When it happens, I change the channel and then go back to the original and it usually comes right back. The DVR works good too. Thanks Comcast. By the way, I live in Garland,Tx.
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with sound drop-outs. I was beginning to think it was my 6412, and wasn't looking forward to taking a day off to wait for Comcast to come out and swap it. I'm in Carrollton, so maybe it's a DFW area thing? I'm also starting to see a bit of tiling - mostly on HD channels.

sbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)