Comcast reply of Previous Thread

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
I can't seem to find a thread that I just recently started. Did a Mod delete it or something? Or was it just moved. I read it before lunch, but didn't get a chance to reply. When I came back from lunch I was going to reply, but now its gone.

I am just happy that I finally took the leap into HD. I just got my Hitachi 51S500 and had Comcast already, I added their HD box with no mothly rental fee. And HD programming is also at no additional charge, so what's not to like about that. I went from a small 19" color tv to Full HD on a 51" HDTV. WOW, its awesome. I'm just excited, that's all. And the quality of my cable HD is awesome. No reception issues, no signal strength issues, no weather related worries. No dish on my roof. There are some advantages to cable. And trust me, I will drop cable in a heartbeat if VOOM, D*, or anything lese ever became a better option for me, or my cabel customer service became a problem. That's why I come to this forum. To get up-to-date info, and learn of everyone else's experience with the way that they receive HD broadcasts so I can make informed decisions. I'm not closed minded at all.

I am still considering VOOM, and read the posts here frequently. With my current viewing habbits, more channels don't interest me. Like I've said before, its not about quantity of channels to me. Its about having the HD programming availible to me that I would actually watch. I can only watch one channel at a time, and if that one channel was broadcasting the programming that I was interested in 24hrs a day, then I would never even change the channel.(That will never happen in reality, but it does only take a few channels to satisfy me). I don't know why so many people just count the number of channels that they have as gospel. You may look at the shear number of channels, and think "Man, that's pathetic! How could he be happy with that?"

I totally realize that this is a satellite website and this is the VOOM forum. I know that the majority of people here choose satellite as the method of receiving their tv, whether its by choice or whether other alternatives are simply not availible. I just wanted to put my thoughts out there and let you know that not all of the areas that Comcast serves is filled with unhappy, frustrated customers. Everyone at this forum has given me great insight and I am thankfull for that. And if everyone is happy with VOOM, then why should it matter that I am happy with Comcast. There is no Right Answer. Everyone's situation is different and you must make the best decision for you. I was just pointing out an option from my perspective that is an alternative to satellite, and it works for me.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
This post kinda looks out of place without the original thread and other peoples replies, but I just wanted to get that out. I am not pushing Comcast. I don't push my recommendations. I just give my perspective on HD providers and HD programming in order to strengthen the community. Whether it be satellite, cable, OTA; it doesn't really matter. It just matters that you find a service that you are happy with, even if others think that you shouldn't be happy. Why doesn't this website/forum have any Sections on Cable HD providers. Just because it is a satellite forum doesn't mean that you can't explore options. It is healthy information to compare what your competitors are doing, and how people who do use cable like or dislike their service. I mean, I think all of us here are interested in the advancement of HD programming and how we can get better service.

Here is my Original Thread:

Its June 2004 and I've got Comcast HD in North Ridgeville, OH(west of Cleveland). Right now, There are a total of 10 channels availible(4 premiums and 6 basic networks)

202 ESPN-HD
206 INHD
207 INHD2
210 ABC-HD
211 NBC-HD
213 FOX-HD
228 HBO-HD*
233 Max-HD*
238 Show-HD*
248 Starz-HD*
* premium channels require subscription to their package

Notice there is no CBS-HD. Comcast is having difficulty negotiating their agreement to carry their HD channel. This is in its final stages and will be wrapped up by fall 2004. Quality of broadcasts has been excellent. HD programs look amazing, as expected. And even the SD material on these channels that is upconverted looks great. The SD material looks leaps and bounds better than on the analog channel, especially FOX. INHD and INHD2 are the most amazing HD that I have ever seen, PERIOD. The programming on these channels rotates, and varies widely in subject from sports(awesome) to concerts to nature shows(Discovery-type) to movies. These two channels give me more interesting programming than the entire VOOM lineup! I was seriously considering VOOM, that is untill I actually got my Comcast HD hooked up and saw the great variety of programming availible to me. And with ESPN-HD, I am all set. What's even better is that somehow my Cinemax-HD channel is coming in even though I never ordered it or pay for it. COOL! This channel is actually very good and is showing great movies. I just watched X2 in HD last night, and WOW, it was great and the 5.1 digital audio that went with X2 was dynamic and in Full Glory.

If you live in the Western Cleveland area, then this is what's availible right now from Comcast. My service has been outstanding(for a cable co.) and I am totally satisfied. So, if you've been thinking about getting a HDTV and HD programming, don't hesistate any longer. I'll keep ya posted on what's new.

deArgila

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
MrPorterhouse said:
With my current viewing habbits, more channels don't interest me.

Here's your first problem - HDTV changes your viewing habits. You can't go on your "current" viewing habits - they will change now that you've gone HD. It happens to everyone.

Like I've said before, its not about quantity of channels to me. Its about having the HD programming availible to me that I would actually watch.

This is true - but the only thing better than quality channels are a large quantity of quality channels - that's what you get from Voom.

Aside from the ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, Show-HD, StarzHD, and CinemaxHD that you can also get with Comcast, Voom give you the East and West Coast feeds of those channels plus ...

WorldsportHD
DiscoveryHD
RaveHD
RushHD
MonstersHD
BravoHD+
EncoreHD
TMC-HD
PlayboyHD
TNT-HD

and then Gallery, Auction, Moov, Animania, Cinemas1-10, etc.

There is NO WAY I'd trade that for INHD and INHD2. NO WAY.

I'd also add that if a provider doesn't offer at least DiscoveryHD or HDNET - you haven't seen HD. (obviously, I'm not mentioning the Voom exclusives here because , well, they're voom "exclusives")

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
Discovery-HD I would like. I do get similar shows on INHD, INHD2 however. Those other networks don't have any HD programming that I would watch regularly. Of course it would be great if I did like those HD programming choices, and I would switch to VOOM today. But for now, with the limited interest that I have in those channels and HD programming, it is not doing anything for me. This is something I review constantly, and I keep an eye one what TNT-HD, Bravo-HD, etc... are showing so I can decide if its something that I would be happy doing.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
I'd also add that if a provider doesn't offer at least DiscoveryHD or HDNET - you haven't seen HD. (obviously, I'm not mentioning the Voom exclusives here because , well, they're voom "exclusives")[/QUOTE]

Have you seen INHD? Its the best HD I have seen. I do miss Discovery-HD.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
Why is that funny?

I post regularly on the hdtvoice forum, hometheaterspot, and the AVS forum.

I cross post the same info when I have something that I want to share with those members who don't get around to the other communities. It saves me so much time typing. I am a slow typer.

Don't you go to other forums? Obviously you do. Don't you share your thoughts and info that you learn from one forum and carry that knowledge to the next forum? I do.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
Seanb61,

Why are you so reactive when someone doesn't like VOOM, or when somoeone thinks that their service fits their needs better than VOOM?

Your replies seem sarcastic and condescending. I do not judge others, I try to give my opinions in a manner that does not attack someones viewpoint. I value everyones advice and input. When someone else is particularly frustrated, I try to reply back with comments that will ease their frustration and further educate them so they can make an informed decisions.

Seawaves

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 10, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
MrPorterhouse said:
Why is that funny?

I post regularly on the hdtvoice forum, hometheaterspot, and the AVS forum.

I cross post the same info when I have something that I want to share with those members who don't get around to the other communities. It saves me so much time typing. I am a slow typer.

Don't you go to other forums? Obviously you do. Don't you share your thoughts and info that you learn from one forum and carry that knowledge to the next forum? I do.

Okay Mr Steak,

Let's recap, shall we?

You don't have Voom but you keep posting in the Voom forum.

You are NOT going to get Voom but again you keep posting in the Voom forum.

You keep telling those of us that have Voom how lousy it is, though you have never tried Voom.

It must suck to be this jealous of Voom. What's the matter- the wife needs HGTV?

Seanb61

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 4, 2004
Chicago
Seawaves said:
Okay Mr Steak,

Let's recap, shall we?

You don't have Voom but you keep posting in the Voom forum.

You are NOT going to get Voom but again you keep posting in the Voom forum.

You keep telling those of us that have Voom how lousy it is, though you have never tried Voom.

It must suck to be this jealous of Voom. What's the matter- the wife needs HGTV?

Exactly if you don't have voom, hate voom, can't get voom, or otherwise have nothing to say on here except to promote Comcast, who you obivously are in love with, don't bother us. If you have honest question's about voom, want to learn about voom and don't want to promote comcast then stay. I am not attacking I am just saying that this is a VOOM forum and not a comcast forum so if that is all you have to say......leave.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
No, I never said I won't go with VOOM in the future.

I post in the VOOM forum because I am SERIOUSLY considering VOOM.

I think V* is great, but for me, right now. Comcast is satisfying me. I don't think its lousy at all. For people who need the most HD programming that they can get, there really is no alternative to VOOM. My point was that I don't need volume, just a few HD channels work for me , if they are the right few channels.

deArgila

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
MrPorterhouse said:
No, I never said I won't go with VOOM in the future.

I post in the VOOM forum because I am SERIOUSLY considering VOOM.

I think V* is great, but for me, right now. Comcast is satisfying me. I don't think its lousy at all. For people who need the most HD programming that they can get, there really is no alternative to VOOM. My point was that I don't need volume, just a few HD channels work for me , if they are the right few channels.

I think it's kind of sad that you have to keep justifying your decision to get Comcast.

I think it's also sad that you think INHD and INHD2 provide "more compelling" programming than all the Voom HD channels put together.

And yes, I have seen INHD and INHD2 - TWC here has them - along with DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, PBSHD, ABCHD, CBSHD, NBCHD, FOXHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD.

And I just switched from TWC to Voom because I wasn't happy with TWC's HD line-up.

VOOM has a ton more HD programming options than TWC - and two tons more than your local Comcast. If you're serious about HD, Voom is where it's at. But if you want to keep justifying your poor decision making, do it elsewhere.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
I don't want to make poor decisions. That's why I'm here. I want to put everything on the plate so I can make my choice based on whats right for me.

I did exaggerate about INHD and INHD2 better than the whole VOOM lineup.

What I mean is, Out of the entire VOOM lineup, I would only watch a few channels. Comcast also gives me a few channels that I would watch. So its just about even for me. I'm on the fence. I already have Comcast, I don't have VOOM. I will probably try VOOM. That is really the only way I can make my final decision. Like has been suggested to me, with the current promotion, there is nothing for me to lose.(except this argument)

deArgila

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
MrPorterhouse said:
I don't want to make poor decisions. That's why I'm here. I want to put everything on the plate so I can make my choice based on whats right for me.

I did exaggerate about INHD and INHD2 better than the whole VOOM lineup.

What I mean is, Out of the entire VOOM lineup, I would only watch a few channels. Comcast also gives me a few channels that I would watch. So its just about even for me. I'm on the fence. I already have Comcast, I don't have VOOM. I will probably try VOOM. That is really the only way I can make my final decision. Like has been suggested to me, with the current promotion, there is nothing for me to lose.(except this argument)

Ok, now you seem more rational. ;)

Trust me on this - the Voom lineup is a TON better on your TV than it looks on paper.

You know the INHD content that you enjoy so much - well, break that stuff into categories and put them on dedicated channels 24/7. That's called options. Plus tons of other stuff that INHD doesn't have.

And, hopefully soon, Voom will have INHD and INHD2 anyway. But even without, if the pricing is even somewhat comparable - Voom is a no brainer for HDTV viewing.

MrPorterhouse

SatelliteGuys Family
May 24, 2004
North Ridgeville, OHIO
Well, price is more because I get a price break on my high speed cable internet with Comcast(I can't live without that). But the total monthly increase is still very close, I think it would only be about $10 per month more. That wouldn't kill me.

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 14, 2004
>>And yes, I have seen INHD and INHD2 - TWC here has them - along with DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, PBSHD, ABCHD, CBSHD, NBCHD, FOXHD, HBOHD, ShowtimeHD.<<

Dang if my cable co. had that much content (Inhd & Hdnet both), I'd go with them.

>>VOOM has a ton more HD programming options than TWC - and two tons more than your local Comcast. If you're serious about HD, Voom is where it's at. But if you want to keep justifying your poor decision making, do it elsewhere.<<

That's rather arrogant of you. Why is it poor decision making because it's not the decision you'd make?

deArgila

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 2, 2004
barth2k said:
That's rather arrogant of you. Why is it poor decision making because it's not the decision you'd make?

Are you answering your own question with that?

Poor decision making = choosing the ComcastHD lineup he listed over the Voom lineup for the reasons he listed/implied (e.g., INHD and INHD2 have more compelling content than what's on Voom ... )

In other words - making a decision based on faulty/incomplete information.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I moved your previous thread because it was not clear what it had to do with VOOM. This one is also out of place. You should post in the main forum because it is a general question. This sub-forum is for local issues with VOOM. I will move to main forum.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Also, if you would like our inputs to compare any HD channels with comcast, you should post your question differently. There are a lof of us who have comcast or another cable company (like TWC or Cablevision) that also carries same channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)