[COMCAST] Sound MUTED during program record MOTO 6412 DVR

morepar2u

Original poster
May 2, 2004
I just switched from VOOM to COMCAST HD with the Motorola 6412 DVR and haven't yet figured this one out: When I have programmed a record session with the DVR and then turn the cable box off if I turn the box back on during the record session, the volume is MUTED (screen displays MUTE) and the only way for me to un-mute it is turn turn the box off, confirm I want to stop the recording and then turn the box back on. I have tried hitting the MUTE button but the remote I have from Comcast seems to be setup to MUTE the receiver not the cable box (Yes, I have pushed the CABLE button on the remote but the mute button doesn't work). I have also tried the SWAP button but both tuners are in the MUTE mode.

This is a problem primarily for recording a show when I think I may be away but in fact I am not and want to watch the show and also record it from the beginning.

Maybe my box is faulty or the remote they gave me needs to be programmed differently.

Any help is appreciated.

I can't offer any help, except to assure you that you are not alone. My comcast HD-DVR has done that since day-1. I keep meaning to ask them what is up with that.
I will be exchanging my son's Digital STB for a second DVR, and I will ask them in person (although I doubt the friendly gals behind the counter will actually know the answer).

I had the same problem. Fixed it by following the "unlocking volume instructions" on the folded paper that came with the 6412. Substitute the 'cable' button with the instructions. Afterwards, the mute button will work with the cable button.

Thanks POLAR - I will try that tonight. What you say makes sense as it seems that the remote is already programmed and I need to reprogram it so that the mute button controls the cable box not just the receiver. I bet someone else had already programmed the remote when I got it to control the receiver. What I don't understand is why the thing mutes in the first place - It is unlikely that anyone would leave their tv and/or receiver on 24/7 which (I guess) is why they mute the sound.....

As a follow-up (and thanks to POLAR) I was able to get the mute button working on the remote by Unlocking all the volume controls. This is described in the instructions for the remote control that came with the cable box. Press cable once then press and hold setup until the cable key blinks twice then release cable. Then enter 973. Then press CH once and then the cable key will blink four times confirming the change. The remote will now be able to turn off the mute when in cable mode. What this does is override the remote if it is already programmed to control the TV or AUX volume and mute while in the cable mode. It is a headache if you get a remote like I did that was programmed this way and necessitates this reprogramming to get the mute turned off.

DCT 6412 See #1 below

morepar2u said:
I just switched from VOOM to COMCAST HD with the Motorola 6412 DVR and haven't yet figured this one out: When I have programmed a record session with the DVR and then turn the cable box off if I turn the box back on during the record session, the volume is MUTED (screen displays MUTE) and the only way for me to un-mute it is turn turn the box off, confirm I want to stop the recording and then turn the box back on. ..............

http://www.dvrchatter.com/viewtopic.php?id=8
1 Leave your 6412 on at all times. Some have reported being unable to view live TV after turning their box off and on again. Also, the 6412 will “Wake Up" to record programs in a muted state and shut itself off after having “Woken Up" to record a program in spite of the fact that you are using the DVR at the time. DVRs are generally “Always on" appliances.
2 Do Not Leave Your Tuners Tuned to An Analog Channel Users have reported lock-ups when recording or viewing Analog channels (Generally Channels 2-99). Some of these reports have even made it into media reports on the product. To avoid this, it is best not to leave your 6412 tuned to an analog channel when it is unattended. You may turn on your TV to find the box has frozen. Comcast is currently pushing a firmware upgrade to customers (version 09.15) which is supposed to correct the “Analog Freeze? issue.

I have a different problem if I set the 6412 to record a program (let's say a 1 hour program), when I come home to play it, only the first half hour is good then it gets choppy and soon stops recording. Do I need a replacement box?
Thanks!

Wayne

I had the same issue and was able to solve it by tech support helping me to reset the volume button to the box. I was also told that they are workin gon the bug to fix issue and will be on next update???

Why recording is muted

I was frustrated with this problem and think I figured out why it does it. If your sound system is activated, the DVR will turn itself on to record a program and all of a sudden you will have the program audio turned-on. Having an auto mute feature when the unit is powered down eliminates this problem. My fix is to always leave the DVR turned-on otherwise the only way to correct is to turn off, losing my recording or reprogram the remote temporarily.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts