Comcast Sportsnet Philly

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yep. There are no talks. Comcast Philly is using a loophole from the old PRISM & Sportschannel days which pretty much says if you dont beam it up via satellite it doesnt have to be available ot satellite

PRISM was done via microwave/fibre and not CSN Philly is too so unless hell freezes over and the FCC actually change the rule, CSN Philly wont ever be on Dish/Direct

yep. There are no talks. Comcast Philly is using a loophole from the old PRISM & Sportschannel days which pretty much says if you dont beam it up via satellite it doesnt have to be available ot satellite

PRISM was done via microwave/fibre and not CSN Philly is too so unless hell freezes over and the FCC actually change the rule, CSN Philly wont ever be on Dish/Direct

I have a friend that works for Comcast and he just mentioned to me a few weeks ago that Comcast is upgrading their system and that they have already been told about customers possibly wanting to leave for directv and dish, he stated that the signal is going to be delivered via satellite and can no longer be kept from satellite. the date he mentioned to me was septemeber 2008 but he also stated that comcast never gets anything finished on time. He is a supervisor in their internet division. Hopefully what he says is true.

Maybe there will he hope

Check thread Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 529 - AVS Forum

He is expected to announce support for closing the “terrestrial loophole” in the program-access rules. It’s called a loophole by Dish Network and DirecTV because cable operators may withhold a programming network from unaffiliated distributors if that service is not delivered via satellite. Such a rule would force Comcast to sell its regional Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia network, delivered via fiber lines and microwave, to Dish and DirecTV.

“I’m concerned about the terrestrial loophole. I think the idea behind program access is that people who own programming and distribution, the incumbent providers of that, should be required to share that programming so that we can facilitate additional competition,” Martin said to reporters last Tuesday at FCC headquarters.

I have a friend that works for Comcast and he just mentioned to me a few weeks ago that Comcast is upgrading their system and that they have already been told about customers possibly wanting to leave for directv and dish, he stated that the signal is going to be delivered via satellite and can no longer be kept from satellite. the date he mentioned to me was septemeber 2008 but he also stated that comcast never gets anything finished on time. He is a supervisor in their internet division. Hopefully what he says is true.

If this is true, this is huge. I hope your friend is right.

Check thread Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 529 - AVS Forum

He is expected to announce support for closing the “terrestrial loophole” in the program-access rules. It’s called a loophole by Dish Network and DirecTV because cable operators may withhold a programming network from unaffiliated distributors if that service is not delivered via satellite. Such a rule would force Comcast to sell its regional Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia network, delivered via fiber lines and microwave, to Dish and DirecTV.

“I’m concerned about the terrestrial loophole. I think the idea behind program access is that people who own programming and distribution, the incumbent providers of that, should be required to share that programming so that we can facilitate additional competition,” Martin said to reporters last Tuesday at FCC headquarters.

You would think they would want thier channel shown to as many people as possible, higher population, better ratings, better ad revenue ect, ect.

Jimbo

You would think they would want thier channel shown to as many people as possible, higher population, better ratings, better ad revenue ect, ect.

Jimbo

I always thought the same thing about how they are losing out on income from not selling the channel to satellite. They must have determined that their subscriber loss in the Philly area would outweigh the additional income from selling the channel (they’re basically admitting that people would leave in droves). They want to avoid the embarrassment of not dominating their “home” market.

The issue is further complicated by the fact that Comcast owns 2 of the 3 teams on the channel (Flyers & Sixers), so it’s not like they’re going to complain about lack of coverage or threaten to leave the channel

The closest we got to receiving CSN is when Comcast was negiotiating with the FCC for Adelphia's assests. The FCC wanted to do away with exclusive arrangements like CSN Philly, but it accepted Comcast's offer to not withhold any other current or future content from any provider, but it can keep their arrangement in Philadelphia. Thanks. Thanks a lot. Come on FCC, grow a set and let the consumers in Philly market decide which service provider provides the best value.

The NHL Network (TSN feed) had no problem in getting the HD feed onto Directv last night for the Leafs / Flyers game.

The PQ was great...now if we could only get this all the time.

Im no longer holding my breath when it comes to the FCC fixing the issues of CSN Philly. Everytime its sounded promising, CSN finds a way to get Philly and exemption to existing rules. Money and Lobbying are an amazing tool. I do however think in the next 5 years those of us who suffer might actually see an end to this.

a reliable poster at dbstalk, satelliteracer, has indicated that loca hd feeds for toronto, philly and san diego should be made available soon.....at least during baseball season on extra innings.

How does CSN Philly have the right to block out the Penguins/Flyers game televised on NHL Network that is being played in Pittsburgh? This is complete b/s! I live in Philly and cannot stand the teams out here! I actually want CSN so I can watch their teams lose!

But really, how do they have the right to block out the game on NHL network when they are playing in Pittsburgh? Is it just because they are also televising the game in this area on that crappy network? That should not matter!!!!

How does CSN Philly have the right to block out the Penguins/Flyers game televised on NHL Network that is being played in Pittsburgh? This is complete b/s! I live in Philly and cannot stand the teams out here! I actually want CSN so I can watch their teams lose!

But really, how do they have the right to block out the game on NHL network when they are playing in Pittsburgh? Is it just because they are also televising the game in this area on that crappy network? That should not matter!!!!

They have the right because they have the tv rights in the Philly market and they black out the game on any other network to protect their business partner. You may not like it, but it makes perfect business sense.

I wish we could organize and collectively write our federally elected officials and get this fixed. Comtrash is so politcally connected it will take some doing. Anyone who has the sports package will notice an increase of blackout programming. We pay a subscription fee and get blacked out? That does not make sense. I am talking about programming not games. Directv also now blacks you out of any rebroadcast of any game. We used to be able to watch a rebroadcast even if we did not have the subscription.
Those of us in the Philly area with Directv and MLB extra innings get blacked out of Phillies games but the Phillies still get paid a portion of our subscription. Pretty Cool huh? You can still see the Phillies on the Strike Zone channel which I am sure they will figure out how to black out this year.

Has there been any update on this? I here that the terrestrial loophole rules are closing in Sept, but can't confirm it. Anyone know anything?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)