Comcast Take over of NBC

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
i wouldn't worry about it yet, they have to get the buyout finalized by the SEC (not the football SEC, but the Stocks one), department of Justice and the FCC too. i think this will take as long as it did with Sirius-XM when they merged.

You're right it is going to be a regulatory nightmare to get this approved. It will take some time for sure. My guess is that there will be no immediate impact as there are current contracts in place that will need to run their course first. Now when those contracts come up for renegotiation there could be issues, but I would not be surprised if Comcast has to make some assurances that they will not be about to go outside the normal course of business in rate increases for other pay TV providers (cable, satellite and fios). If Comcast ended up taking NBC off of all providers except themselves there would be huge public outcry.

Hope it doesn't happen

I hope that it gets turned down by the securities & exchange commission. But really can't count on it. Too much consolidation of entertainment into one company. If it does pass have a fear that other big cable co's are going to try same thing.

If you go by the book, then it will be denied. (In fact, probably the 20 biggest mergers should have been denied by the government, and almost all of the media mergers, as well as the deregulation of media ownership. "Too big to fail" is easily solved by not allowing anyone to be too big.)

However, NBC owns a lot of outlets for media that politicians want to keep happy. So, I think the usual unspoken between-the-lines corruption will prevail.

Until the approval, Comcast and NBC will have to be on best behavior, so no problems for Dish until the approval happens...

If approved, what effect would this have on both Dish & Direct, when it comes to programming?
Comcast...."You want NBC, USA, etc......ha ha ha!!!"

If approved, what effect would this have on both Dish & Direct, when it comes to programming?
Comcast...."You want NBC, USA, etc......ha ha ha!!!"

They will definitely have more leverage since they can bargain more channels at once including large market NBCs.

The FCC does have some safeguards in place for stuff that gets retransmitted via satellites. But, if they do like they do with some RSNs they can get around it by not sending any of the content via satellite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts