Comcast to Directv ????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Salacak

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
I have been reading a lot lately because I'm about the change from Comcast to Directv this Wednesday (Getting HR20 + HD receiver with 2 extra standard receivers total of 4 rooms setup). But I can cancel and send the installation guy back and assuming I will get my money back (thats what they told me, I can cancel it anytime with no obligation before installation). First I was worried MLB deal that Comcast might not get it but seems like they can now I guess. I live in Dover Delaware and comcast and philly is big here which I care less, my teams are NY Mets and Jets alone with Islanders so what comcast offers HD for philly and eagles and all I really don't care too much unless my team comes from NY to play with them. I buy NHL and MLB package anyway with comcast but if I switch I will buy them through DTV too. I pay $42.95 for cable internet and if I switch that price will go up to $57.95 alone plus DTV service vs.
A lot of mix feelings out there about this switch, some people thinks cable was great and had better HD quality and channels than what DTV offers, some thinking otherwise.
Any input you guys can put make this decision easier for me.
Thanks a lot

I also live in Dover, Delaware. I just switched from Dish to Direct so I could be sure I can get MLB. I follow the Red Sox. I also have Comcast for the basic channels so I can get the Salisbury locals. With Direct you can only get the Philadelphia channels. You may want to consider the basic package with Comcast, it is $18.75 and then you can still get the discount for the Internet as well as have locals that give Dover news. You could also look into DSL. That is what I use and I am happy with it. Comcast may be a little faster, but not worth the extra cost to me.

Also, I don't know that Comcast will get MLB. It is a possibility, but not guaranteed.

Thank you for your reply, I didn't think about the local Salisbury channel, I guess it is a good point because school closings and stuff like that on that channel for locally (I don't know how much important that to keep it?). If basic is only $18-19 than it is worth it I guess to keep both. But I was hoping take all these comcast stuff out and let DTV installer to use these wiring I'm using for comcast. Can it be done? Same wiring for both comcast and DTV, nah probably not how are they going to split two different feeds.
Also I can not get DSL here at my house yet, near future they said but not yet.
If comcast will get the MLB do you think I should stay with it or go ahead and switch to DTV.

Last edited:
I have been reading a lot lately because I'm about the change from Comcast to Directv this Wednesday (Getting HR20 + HD receiver with 2 extra standard receivers total of 4 rooms setup). But I can cancel and send the installation guy back and assuming I will get my money back (thats what they told me, I can cancel it anytime with no obligation before installation). First I was worried MLB deal that Comcast might not get it but seems like they can now I guess. I live in Dover Delaware and comcast and philly is big here which I care less, my teams are NY Mets and Jets alone with Islanders so what comcast offers HD for philly and eagles and all I really don't care too much unless my team comes from NY to play with them. I buy NHL and MLB package anyway with comcast but if I switch I will buy them through DTV too. I pay $42.95 for cable internet and if I switch that price will go up to $57.95 alone plus DTV service vs.
A lot of mix feelings out there about this switch, some people thinks cable was great and had better HD quality and channels than what DTV offers, some thinking otherwise.
Any input you guys can put make this decision easier for me.
Thanks a lot

Salacak - On the NHL CI package with Comcast do you watch all Flyer games on Comcast Sportsnet Philadelphia or via your hockey package? (Not sure if Delaware is the RSN for Philly teams). Reason is if you go to Directv they do not have access to CSN Philly and therefore when Philly teams are playing on NHLCI you may be blacked out. I live in Allentown PA and I do not receive any Philly sports games. Like you I am more a NY sports fan but what is frustrating is I am blacked out of all Flyer/Ranger games or anytime a NY team plays a Philly sports team.

You would have to have separate wiring if you have both cable and satellite. Comcast does have the Philly sports and they don't share with satellite. If your teams are playing the Philly teams, the out of market package will block these out. It is the same with the Baltimore teams. I like the signal quality better on satellite than on Comcast. Right now, Comcast has offered a great deal for the year, so I have the digital package, but I will drop that once the year is up. Direct also offers the NFL package that Comcast does not offer. I recommend that you look at the costs for the different packages and what they offer and then make your decision. For me, the mix of cable and satellite work the best.

It isn't a sure thing that Comcast will have MLB so you may have to go with Direct to see this. The other thing is you will be locked into a 2 year commitment with Direct. No perfect answer.

Yes even I have the NHL CI package I get philly games on comcast sports net with HD and whenever Islanders, Mets, or Jets comes to area I get all those HD. Also I get Washington games to in HD. But again I don't care about philly or eagles too much so still you think I should stay where I'm with comcast?

If I keep basic with comcast alone with internet can I get sports channel when philly teams plays with ny teams.

The sports channels are in the expanded package and not included in the basic channels. I find for baseball, some of the Philly games are on 57 and that is carried by satellite and most of the Baltimore games are on Comcast Sports Net that is carried by satellite. I don't miss too many of the local games. The Philly football games are on either Fox or CBS so you would get those just as cable has them now. I don't follow hockey, but I believe that it is similar to baseball.

If out of market sports is your big concern, I recommend satellite. With Direct you can subscribe to NFL season ticket that Comcast doesn't offer. You will definately be able to get MLB EI, it is still uncertain if Comcast will offer it.

The biggest drawback I see is that Direct requires a 2 year commitment, so you want to make sure that you are making the right decision before you commit. In my experience, Direct has better quality and better equipment than Comcast. The advantage I see with Comcast is you don't have a 2 year commitment and you can get Video on Demand.

I called and canceled DTV scheduled installation for now. Too many things has to be changed if I go to DTV, wiring all over the house again bcs most likely I have to keep comcast internet service and that service goes to $60.00 even I keep basic channels or not. Besides sports I'm a big HD fan and looks like dishnetwork is the best out there for HD and they have receivers that can handle 2 rooms with one that is good bcs less wiring. This point I'm hoping comcast will have MLB package and I don't have to change anything (For HD I love to go distnetwork anyway). Or wait until DTV new satellite goes up this summer and lets see what is that going to bring on the table.

I called and canceled DTV scheduled installation for now. Too many things has to be changed if I go to DTV, wiring all over the house again bcs most likely I have to keep comcast internet service and that service goes to $60.00 even I keep basic channels or not.

I had the same problem with Comcast...having to keep the basic service so my high speed internet didn't jump to 60+.

So now, DSL is available in my area thru Verizon with a bundle with Directv. I am dumping Comcast. Their monopoly is over!

I had the same problem with Comcast...having to keep the basic service so my high speed internet didn't jump to 60+.

So now, DSL is available in my area thru Verizon with a bundle with Directv. I am dumping Comcast. Their monopoly is over!

Have you looked at Earthlink they have high speed through a lot of cable compaines. I have them through Time Warner for $41 a month.

I will check, I think best bet is DSL but until they offer DSL to my area stuck with comcast I guess.

Dish Network isn't that great for HD. Directv is better and cheaper. I had both until yesterday. $60 for internet? Wow! I pay $20 for slow DSL. I agree stay with cable and add D* this fall for new HD channels and NFL Sunday Ticket/Superfan. It's getting expensive to get the sports we want to watch.

I checked and dishnetwork has a lot more channels in HD then anybody else and their price is lower then anybody else, but I'm waiting for this new satellite going to bring how many new channels in HD so on, also I read that DTV picture quality is not good as dishnetwork is that true. As of now as much as I hate comcast I have to stay with them, they are expensive and their boxes don't work properly

Have you looked at Earthlink they have high speed through a lot of cable compaines. I have them through Time Warner for $41 a month.

Verizon's DSL is only $31/month plus I get a $28 discount on my bundle. I will probably set it up tonight and test the speed.

I checked and dishnetwork has a lot more channels in HD then anybody else and their price is lower then anybody else, but I'm waiting for this new satellite going to bring how many new channels in HD so on, also I read that DTV picture quality is not good as dishnetwork is that true. As of now as much as I hate comcast I have to stay with them, they are expensive and their boxes don't work properly
On the surface Dish has more HD (the 15 Voom channels) than Directv. That's why I originally went with them. But there is very little NEW content on those channels. They get old fast. Directv is scheduled to put up more satellites (bandwidth) in the next year than Dish. This is very important. The HDMI works best on the HR20 if that matters to you.

HSI jumping to $57.95 isn't a big deal when you look at it this way...

I currently pay $105 per month for DirecTV (Premier, DVR, one additional outlet). With Comcast Digital Cable, the same package would cost me $134.25 per month ($108.40 for Digital Cable Platinum, $11.95 for DVR, $8.90 for an extra box, and $5 for the sports package)...and I wouldn't even get nearly as many channels - for example, I get SNY and CW-11 (WPIX) with DirecTV so I can watch every Mets game. Comcast in my area doesn't offer EITHER of those channels...

So, I'm saving almost $30 per month by going with DirecTV over Comcast Digital Cable for my video services...as such, I don't see the extra $15 per month for HSI to be that big of a deal. So I'm only saving $15 per month instead of $30...whoopie!

Also, in my area, basic service (channels 2-23) is only $12. So, by keeping basic cable, I get a backup source of TV for when the dish is out and also lower my HSI price by $3. YMMV...

Can I get SNY from DTV and watch all the Mets games? I was planning to get MLB package to watch Mets.

I'm in DOver, DE 19904 zip code and I saw few Delaware address in that link so what is that mean, I can get it here or not. Probably I will talk to DTV customer service when I have my account set with them but I just wanted to confirm with you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)