Comcast Ups Cable Speed to 16Mbit

RScottyL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Irving, Texas
I figured I would post this, since it does mention Verizon FIOS. Let's see if Verizon will need to do anything in return:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Comcast_Ups_Cable_Speed_to_16Mbit/1143653359

Comcast Ups Cable Speed to 16Mbit
By BetaNews Staff, BetaNews
March 29, 2006, 12:29 PM

In an effort to fend off competition from Verizon's FiOS service, which offers download speeds of up to 15Mbit per second, Comcast has doubled the speed of its top-tier broadband service to 16Mbit. The change is currently being rolled out in a few markets, including Reston, Va.; Sarasota, Fla.; Fort Wayne, Ind.; and Howard County, Md.

Along with the faster downloads, users will now be able to upload at a speed of 1Mbit per second. The service costs $52.95 USD per month. Other cable operators such as Cox and Adelphia have taken a similar approach to Verizon encroaching on their territory. Comcast says its move was not made specifically in response to the competition, but simply to test new applications it can offer with such high broadband speeds.

Stargazer said:
Isn't that still more expensive than what Verizon FIOS is?
and SLOWER (upload speed, atleast)!

Not even mentioning how it slows down during "peak" hours. Does anyone know if FIOS slows down as well?

-John

Doesn't sound too competitive to me but Comcast may think that some people will not take a look at upload speeds and so forth and has to get their service more closer to the competition to have a chance.

jgantert said:
and SLOWER (upload speed, atleast)!

Not even mentioning how it slows down during "peak" hours. Does anyone know if FIOS slows down as well?

-John

all services, regardless of provider, can slow some during peak times.

cablewithaview said:
all services, regardless of provider, can slow some during peak times.

there have been no slowdowns for me with fios. they bandwidth is much better and does not suffer the same slow downs as cable does. dsl has less slowdown than cable, they just don't have the speed.

korsjs said:
there have been no slowdowns for me with fios. they bandwidth is much better and does not suffer the same slow downs as cable does. dsl has less slowdown than cable, they just don't have the speed.

I'll second that. At peak times, 8pm - 11pm, I have never noticed a slow down.

Good to hear. I never had any slowdowns with my Verizon 768kbps DSL, but it was slow to start with. Now with Comcast HSI, I notice much more slow periods during prime time. Glad to hear if I go with FIOS once its available, I'll still be able to get full speeds. :) Not that newshosting.com is going to like me for it! heh

-John

Fios just became available in my area. Do you think its best to wait a few months for them to get everything worked out. Has anyone with fios experienced downtime or outages?

RScottyL said:
...Comcast says its move was not made specifically in response to the competition, but simply to test new applications it can offer with such high broadband speeds.

Sure it wasn't. Amazing what competition can do.

shappyss said:
Fios just became available in my area. Do you think its best to wait a few months for them to get everything worked out. Has anyone with fios experienced downtime or outages?

you should be ok to get it now.

ronfelder said:
what does fios go for?

Here are the prices on the website here in the Texas area:

Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps $34.95 - $39.95

Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps $44.95 - $49.95

Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps $179.95 - $199.95

FIOS downtime

shappyss said:

I have had FIOS Internet for about 9 months, and have not had any downtime that I am aware of. Can't comment on FIOS TV, still waiting for local franchise agreement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)