Comcast Voice Service

HDJim

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Detroit
This happened a few weeks ago. I just got home and my wife said our phone is out. I checked it and sure enough it was out. Figured it was problem in the area and Comcast would take care of it. Got a call on my cell from a relative saying they called the house and no answer, but someone did come on the line saying things were being fixed. By that evening, though, still out. I went on the website and did an online chat with an analyst, who checked and said you have no phone service. I said, sure I do, had it for as long as I've had Comcast. She said, oh yes, I can see that now, let me check into this. Few minutes later, she informs me that our phone service was dropped because another party, AT&T, requested that number and Comcast gave it to them. Said that AT&T may have had that number as part of their service and it was ported over to Comcast sometime or another. She also said, that was the only info she had, there was no word on who authorized it.
I asked, how can that happen, shouldn't we have been informed of this. Kind of low class to just up and take your phone number and hand it to another company. She agreed, but said she could fix us back up with phone service. Did a quick talk over with my wife and I told the rep, forget it, don't want any phone service. Gonna go with our cells. She said we were on a Triple Play and that we can't break it or else there could be charges. I told her, it was your company who broke the deal, not me. And maybe I should charge Comcast for that. So now, we are on cell phones and we love it. It's a lot quieter without the phone ringing every five minutes with all those phantom calls from every state in the union and the 800 Service calls.

Little post script to this. A couple of days afterwards, I decided to call my old number to see who would answer. Some guy answered, I told him the story and he said he didn't even want that number. He asked for a different one and he wasn't happy. He was an AT&T customer and he said a rep was supposed to get back with him. I wished him luck and said adios.

That's interesting.

I would leave the phone off if they decided to give away your number.

Have you tried calling your number?

Write a letter to the public utility commission and name both AT&T and comcast. Let them sort things out.

Wow, So, Comcast give your number to AT&T because they requested it. Sounds to me like a double screw up... one that Comcast and AT&T doesn't want to bother to fix. I can't image my landline number that I've had since 1990 and ported to my Sprint cell phone in 2003....... having GTE...opps Verizon take my number away because it was an original Verizon....opps GTE number. Crazy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)