Comcast vs satellite

swissin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2006
michigan
:upPRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- The results of a new survey show that when it comes to high-definition (HD) picture quality, Comcast is the clear winner - even among customers of the two leading national satellite TV services.

In side-by-side comparisons, two-thirds of satellite customers expressing a preference between Comcast and DirecTV and between Comcast and Dish Network said Comcast delivered a better HD image. More than 65% of customers ranked Comcast higher than DirecTV, and almost 70% chose Comcast over Dish Network.

Among customers of both satellite and cable, Comcast was selected as providing a better HD picture than DirecTV by 60% of respondents with a preference. Comcast was selected as providing a better HD picture than Dish Network by 66% of respondents indicating a preference.

"This survey shows that consumers agree with what we've known for years: Comcast has the best HD picture," said Dave Watson, Executive Vice President, Operations, for Comcast Cable. "Whether it's feeling like you're in the front row at your favorite sporting event or concert, or watching a movie the way a director intended it to be seen, the quality of the picture is as crucial as offering the most choices, and we're the source for the best HD and home entertainment experience."

Comcast is the leader in bringing customers HD entertainment, with about 200 HD viewing options at any time, including an industry-leading 100 hours of HD movies and shows as part of its signature ON DEMAND service, making HD programs available anytime a customer wants to watch them. This year, Comcast will be doubling the amount of HD ON DEMAND programming available. To date, Comcast customers have watched more than seven million HD ON DEMAND programs.

The company was one of the first video providers to offer HD service, beginning in 2001. Its high-definition lineup now includes affiliates of all major broadcast networks; comprehensive sports coverage with ESPN HD and ESPN2 HD, as well as regional sports networks across the country; premium HD networks including Starz, HBO, Cinemax and Showtime; and the most popular HD cable networks, including Discovery, Universal HD, Mojo, MHD and TNT.

Methodology and Results

Frank N. Magid Associates, a leading research consulting organization, conducted the survey; Accenture, a management and technology consulting company, oversaw the technical aspects of the test; and Loeb & Loeb, a national law firm, provided legal guidance on the survey process. Participants were asked if they felt there was a difference in quality between the HD television pictures displayed on three identical, unlabeled television sets (one set displaying a picture from Comcast, one from DirecTV and one from Dish Network).

Among satellite customers in the survey, 65.60% of those who expressed a preference between Comcast and DirectTV chose Comcast, and 69.92% who expressed a preference between Comcast and Dish Network chose Comcast. Among all participants in the survey, 60.3% of those who expressed a preference between Comcast and DirectTV chose Comcast, and 65.6% of those who expressed a preference between Comcast and Dish Network chose Comcast. The survey has a 5%-7% margin of error.

I have been saying that for a while. They don't have quantity compared to others but they do look better than dish and prior to recent comments on DirectTV's mpeg4 I could say the same for DirectTV.

I've had HD packages from Dish Network, Bell Expressvu and Comcast.

The HD on comcast seems to be the most clear IMHO. I do not think they compress the resolution at least in this area.

I was with DISH for YEARS and their PQ used to be much better....I am now with Comcast and HD and SD PQ are BOTH better on Comcast. I woder IF Verizon FIOS TV PQ would be comparable?

I was with DISH for YEARS and their PQ used to be much better....I am now with Comcast and HD and SD PQ are BOTH better on Comcast. I woder IF Verizon FIOS TV PQ would be comparable?

FiOS looks about equal to Comcast. I wasn't blown away with FiOS PQ over Comcast PQ.

FiOS looks about equal to Comcast. I wasn't blown away with FiOS PQ over Comcast PQ.
Depends on your area. My SD PQ is much better with FiOS on the analog channels (<100 on Comcast). HD is about the same, except FiOS gives you HDNet & HDNet Movies, and Comcast gives you MoJo. I think the HDNet channels are better, but thats just IMO.

However, Comcast currently has a huge advantage in program guide until FiOS gets their new software debugged, which could be quite a while!

-John

I think comcast is better than D and E with SD and HD But FIOS is the tops on all PQ.

I am a former Comcast customer. I have to say Comcast serves customers who are looking for high quality of package better than the Satellite providers. Their premium package are very very good.
However, they lack service package for people with limited budget. They still have a lot of channels on analog and one knows the quality is not as good. I upgraded to their Digital Preferred and gave them 4 months. I liked their line up but they could never fix the signal strength in our subdivision. After 4 months, I had to switch to Dish.

shoot my ananlog sd channels i get as a backup are much better than dish's, makes me wonder......

It's not uncommon. Depending on how and where Dish and DTV gets the local feed, then they digitalize and compress and send to us. In this area (Houston), I don't see the difference with the local NBC, ABC, CBS or Fox. But I can see the difference on CW and other local channels.

shoot i just hope they add more hd by next year, i'll be moving near my sister and my bro in law works for comcast, i'm just going to rent boxes from him to save me some cash :)

Yeah right. You can rent all the boxes you want from your BIL but Comcast isn't gonna turn 'em on. Is your BIL willing to lose his job so you can save a few bucks? Are you willing to feed your sister and her husband while he looks for new work?

Mini dish has always had bad picture and sound quality, a better comparison would be between Comcast and FiOS, I do know many have said the 4dtv sound quality was much better than Comcast, I wonder how FiOS sound is?

I'm just curious now on the PQ comparison with
D*'s NEW HD channels? I Comcast's still better? Here in Seattle, Comcast has fallen leaps and bounds behind everyone in the HD dept. We finally got NFL HD on the 1st, with 4 more in Dec. 1st and 6 more on Jan. 1st.

Just Curious on the new PQ comparison.:rolleyes:

Thxs!

Eric

Cable will always be better in a well setup area, mini dish may look ok at first then they will add more channels and well... Basically history will repeat itself :)

as long as i live near the same node and he connects them at his house first, it taint a problem :)~

You ever hear the term 'theft of service'? When Comcast finds out that your BIL is stealing service from them and is selling it, it's bye bye employment for him, big fines, maybe jail time for both of you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts