Comcast wants to buy Roku

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Oh Good Lord. If they offer enough money the board of directors of Roku will cave. I'm hoping they can't make a hostile attempt.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Captain Midnight
Roku has been slowly taking over as the primary smart TV operating system. Between them, Samsung, and LG, you probably cover over 90 percent of TVs sold.

I’m guessing that this is a play to get advertising revenue through providing the OS on something like a third of the smart TV devices out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roku has been slowly taking over as the primary smart TV operating system. Between them, Samsung, and LG, you probably cover over 90 percent of TVs sold.

I’m guessing that this is a play to get advertising revenue through providing the OS on something like a third of the smart TV devices out there.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer Comcast stay away from Roku.

Nevertheless, I'd prefer Comcast stay away from Roku.

Oh, no disagreement on that.

Just pointing out that Roku has substantial market share that is only likely to grow since most smart TVs today (last 3-5 years) come with streaming capabilities that rival that of streaming sticks. The TV marketplace seems to be converging on Roku for the operating system… Roku is more or less becoming the equivalent of the Microsoft Windows on smart TVs. Samsung and LG are currently the main holdouts.

Controlling the smart TV operating system marketplace will give them significant control over access to the streaming marketplace. Potentially, by limiting (or setting terms for) what streaming apps can be placed in the Roku store, Comcast could limit competition for other streaming services.

There is no way that streaming content providers should have control over the streaming hardware/software.

They'll ruin it. They ruin everything they touch.
It is an obvious one, but also a serious conflict of interest. Possibly even illegal. They could eliminate any apps that they found competing with them, or put a surcharge on them. It would make the YouTube TV conflict look like a school yard tussle.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Actually, Comcast has done quite well with their acquisitions, look at the powerhouse they are after buying NBC/Universal, the only bad year was because of Covid.

Now look at AT&T, they were getting their *** handed to them with the purchase and overpayment of DirecTV and Warner, now they have to spin them off to get the debt off the books and tax benefits.

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Midnight
Just pointing out that Roku has substantial market share that is only likely to grow since most smart TVs today (last 3-5 years) come with streaming capabilities that rival that of streaming sticks. The TV marketplace seems to be converging on Roku for the operating system… Roku is more or less becoming the equivalent of the Microsoft Windows on smart TVs.
Is that an endorsement? As much as Windows has improved over the years, I am constantly amazed at how bad it is to actually use. I hate it when my wife needs help with her work computer. I just end up asking myself "why?" over and over again. Maybe Windows 11 will finally implement consistent UI elements (maybe), but it won't fix the mess that is the Windows networking stack.
Roku has already been headed in that direction from my perspective. It all started when they decided they needed to monetize their customers by selling them to advertisers. Prior to that, it was a pretty good platform.

You but they bought back up a lot of their former bells, too. If I remember correctly the only one that is still independent is Cincinnati Bell

What is now AT&T is actually a former baby bell, Southwestern Bell, which bough AT&T in 2005 and renamed itself AT&T.

AT&T was a minority shareholder in Cincinnati Bell. Cincinnati Bell’s Fioptics internet service has none of the horror stories I frequently see from AT&T and Verizon customers on these types of boards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)