Comcast wants to buy Roku

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Roku is my favorite..I have " upgraded" several times when software upgrades cameout that crippled the box

I have a original firetv..has taken years worth of software upgrades..never crippled

Roku only $50... firetv was $200.. you get what you pay for
Since I've had my Sony TV, I really have no need for my Roku anymore.
I can load the same apps (and more) right on my Sony.

Roku has risen from 350 to nearly 450 a share in the last 10 days. It started going up before the Comcast news hit 5 days ago which tells me wall street may have known about this already. That's a hefty price. Either they made a huge offer or the buyers are already making this deal too expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Sony will stop software updates eventually
Sonys not doing the updates for the Apps, the Apps are...
They are updated when Sony does thier updates, which is every few months it seems.
As long as they are using the Android OS, I don't see them falling behind or not updating.

Sonys not doing the updates for the Apps, the Apps are...
They are updated when Sony does thier updates, which is every few months it seems.
As long as they are using the Android OS, I don't see them falling behind or not updating.
Sony has to update android os

Google owns Android OS, so I see no reason why it wouldn't continue to be kept up to date.
Obvioulsly Sony and Google have a good working relationship...

Who does the updates on Roku and Firestick ?
Sony has to send software updates to the tv..eventually they stop software upgrades and updates...that way you buy a new tv

Eventually, the SoCs that Sony uses in their TVs (MediaTek most likely) will be unable to handle the new codecs required by the Android TV platform. At that point you will not be able to update Android or the Apps. At another point beyond that, the older Android and App versions will stop being supported at all and not work. It won't happen all at once. Certain apps will drop support for your old TV first, and then one by one the rest will stop working, until you eventually have to get a new TV or add a streaming device. The same thing will happen to all SmartTVs eventually, not just Sony.

This is stupidity of SmartTVs IMHO, but there are very few dumb TVs available anymore, so what's a person to do? My answer is to not use their "Smart" features, so they cannot monetize me with ads and use an external streaming device instead. This is really just a bonus as the external sticks/boxes generally provide a superior experience to the built-in apps which is my primary reason for choosing to do this.

Sony has to send software updates to the tv..eventually they stop software upgrades and updates...that way you buy a new tv
With the current situation with Streaming That would be Suicide to Sony, they wouldn't do that to themselves.
I can see that happening with OFF brand TV's, but not the Major makers.

Btw, Rokus and the other Streaming boxes would also keep updating as well.
There are new versions of Each every year, that don't mean that an older unit won't work ...
If my current OLED doesn't get supported any longer, maybe I will WANT to invest in a newer one, as of right now I have one of the best out there and I'm quite happy with it.

Yes, even with how well I like my current TV, I would upgrade if the right situation came up.

With the current situation with Streaming That would be Suicide to Sony, they wouldn't do that to themselves.
I can see that happening with OFF brand TV's, but not the Major makers.
They have done it on every other tv...the fix is simple...buy a streaming device..you don't throw away the tv because they stopped updating software. Its not really a huge deal

They have done it on every other tv...the fix is simple...buy a streaming device..you don't throw away the tv because they stopped updating software. Its not really a huge deal
They have Not done it on any TV's that were capable of Streaming as of yet, I don't know why you think they want to abandon what has worked well ....
why would they want a 3rd party involved when they are doing it themselves until it cost themselves more than the 3rd party charges.

Sony was a Great TV company for a LONG time, then they decided to be like OTHERS awhile back when they were bringing out 10 different TVs a years, then they WOKE UP ... in the last 5 years or so they are back on the top of the business.

If thats the case (and it sounds right) then Google updates the Android OS and when they do so Sony (and whoever else is using the Android system) sends out thier next update along with any other improvements.

What concerns me about Android is the tendency of OEMs to add a custom layer on top of it. Hopefully that isn’t an issue.

Eventually, the SoCs that Sony uses in their TVs (MediaTek most likely) will be unable to handle the new codecs required by the Android TV platform. At that point you will not be able to update Android or the Apps. At another point beyond that, the older Android and App versions will stop being supported at all and not work.

I’m not sure I’m as worried about that with newer units… past 3 to 5 years. I think the SOC are pretty stable… heck Roku used the ARM Cortex A53 since 2017, now moving to the A55.

I am running the latest version of Windows 10 on a 2015 HP Laptop.

Heck, even phones receive upgrades beyond 2 years nowadays, particularly iPhones (he types on an iPhone 8 running the latest version of iOS).

You can take that argument back to 2010 where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed about the ease of YT etc on Sony, even with some YT features missing or inoperable (comments, deleting). So I moved that Roku to another TV. When the Sony stops hosting YT effectively enough for me, I’ll slap a Roku Next on it. But it is nice and easy to just use the Sony UI.

What concerns me about Android is the tendency of OEMs to add a custom layer on top of it. Hopefully that isn’t an issue.

I’m not sure I’m as worried about that with newer units… past 3 to 5 years. I think the SOC are pretty stable… heck Roku used the ARM Cortex A53 since 2017, now moving to the A55.

I am running the latest version of Windows 10 on a 2015 HP Laptop.

Heck, even phones receive upgrades beyond 2 years nowadays, particularly iPhones (he types on an iPhone 8 running the latest version of iOS).

You can take that argument back to 2010 where it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 6 year old Sony TVs stopped running current apps a couple of years ago. Google and Netflix have already indicated required AV1 support is forthcoming, and very few SoCs support it in silicon. A handful can support it in software, but most of them are not in Sony or anyone else's TVs.

How is your 2015 HP Laptop gonna do with Windows 11 BTW?

Obsolescence is a fact of life. Yes, hardware is now good enough that the life of "smart" features in products like TVs is longer than it used to be, but time and technology march on.

Reactions: TNGuy84
What concerns me about Android is the tendency of OEMs to add a custom layer on top of it

That is exactly why I don't use any devices running Android anymore. The bloatware often installed by carriers and OEM's clutters up the interface. Then there's the fragmentation between different versions of the OS. Folks can say all they want about iOS, but I don't have any of these issues with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts