Come on DISH! Help me out.

TerryK

Supporting Founder
May 17, 2004
Wichita Falls, TX
Have been a Dish customer since 1996. Currently have 722k, 622, and 612. With my programming I spend $170/month. Recently my DPP44 switch has started working intermittently. Ok I decided it was time to upgrade to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. They cannot come out until May 6th. I asked if they could send me a loaner DPP44 until the install. The rep said either I could cancel the upgrade and have a service call to replace the switch and then call back after that work was done and reschedule the upgrade or just wait until the upgrade on May 6th!! I have been a customer for 17 years and this is the best they can do! Give me a break. I realize it is only television however we are having family the end of this month and there will be some times when we would like to watch TV. Can any of the DIRT team help me out? I would really appreciate it.

On a side note you will notice I do not have a lot of posts on SatelliteGuys. I joined when we had less than 10,000 members. I generally find answers to my questions from reading others threads/posts. I have installed all my own equipment including dishes until DISH started requiring service calls for the newer DVRs. The reason I am saying all this is to let people know I am not a newbie to SatelliteGuys I just find most everybody else has already had questions such as mine and I find their solutions usually work just fine for me.

One other question. I think I have read on here that DISH is allowing customers to install their own Hoppers. If this is the case do I just go through normal channels on the phone to ask for that option?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my rambling.

Have been a Dish customer since 1996. Currently have 722k, 622, and 612. With my programming I spend $170/month. Recently my DPP44 switch has started working intermittently. Ok I decided it was time to upgrade to 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. They cannot come out until May 6th. I asked if they could send me a loaner DPP44 until the install. The rep said either I could cancel the upgrade and have a service call to replace the switch and then call back after that work was done and reschedule the upgrade or just wait until the upgrade on May 6th!! I have been a customer for 17 years and this is the best they can do! Give me a break. I realize it is only television however we are having family the end of this month and there will be some times when we would like to watch TV. Can any of the DIRT team help me out? I would really appreciate it.

On a side note you will notice I do not have a lot of posts on SatelliteGuys. I joined when we had less than 10,000 members. I generally find answers to my questions from reading others threads/posts. I have installed all my own equipment including dishes until DISH started requiring service calls for the newer DVRs. The reason I am saying all this is to let people know I am not a newbie to SatelliteGuys I just find most everybody else has already had questions such as mine and I find their solutions usually work just fine for me.

One other question. I think I have read on here that DISH is allowing customers to install their own Hoppers. If this is the case do I just go through normal channels on the phone to ask for that option?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my rambling.

What dish do you have? A 1K2 or a 1K4 may have a switch built in where you don't need the DPP44 to run 3 receivers. As a long time reader you should know as long as your account has an open work order another can't be scheduled by the system DISH uses. Cancel the upgrade then schedule the service call then reschedule the upgrade.
Have you tried powering down the DPP44 some times a reset cures the problem.

Worst case scenario remove the DPP44 and use F81 splice to connect 2 receivers then you will still have some TV if switch fails.

Dish is not allowing Hopper self-installs (on leased equipment).

What dish do you have? A 1K2 or a 1K4 may have a switch built in where you don't need the DPP44 to run 3 receivers. As a long time reader you should know as long as your account has an open work order another can't be scheduled by the system DISH uses. Cancel the upgrade then schedule the service call then reschedule the upgrade.
Have you tried powering down the DPP44 some times a reset cures the problem.

Worst case scenario remove the DPP44 and use F81 splice to connect 2 receivers then you will still have some TV if switch fails.

He has the original DISH 1000.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Thanks all! Yeah the DPP44 is now working intermittently. Sometimes there is a signal and other times not. So obviously the electronics are starting to breakdown. I guess the best thing will do as suggested and cancel the install and have the switch replaced then reschedule the upgrade. My dish is a 1000 with 3 individual feedhorns. I can't remember the exact reason but for this part of North Texas at the time that was the best solution, it was several years ago before EA and WA. Somewhere I missed about not being able to schedule more than one service call, makes sense for them I was just a little peeved that they did not seem more accomodating. I will ask the tech when they are out on the switch about upgrading when they are here. They do not have to run any cables I have the RG6 quad coax and cat5 to all rooms so it is mainly plug and play. I have a central distribution panel in the garage to mount the node. Again, thanks for the responses!

TerryK said:
Thanks all! Yeah the DPP44 is now working intermittently. Sometimes there is a signal and other times not. So obviously the electronics are starting to breakdown. I guess the best thing will do as suggested and cancel the install and have the switch replaced then reschedule the upgrade. My dish is a 1000 with 3 individual feedhorns. I can't remember the exact reason but for this part of North Texas at the time that was the best solution, it was several years ago before EA and WA. Somewhere I missed about not being able to schedule more than one service call, makes sense for them I was just a little peeved that they did not seem more accomodating. I will ask the tech when they are out on the switch about upgrading when they are here. They do not have to run any cables I have the RG6 quad coax and cat5 to all rooms so it is mainly plug and play. I have a central distribution panel in the garage to mount the node. Again, thanks for the responses!

If I were the tech on the call i would eliminate the switch. Throw up a 1000.2, and use the three sat feeds. No need for a switch unless you have 4 boxes. If you don't it's just something else in the line that could fail.

I'm sure while you have a service call.and tell the tech onsite you want to upgrade then he may want to do it since everything is already ran and basically set up. Sounds like a simple job. I'd be down to do it. Atleast let the tech know up front before he does a bunch of trouble shooting that wouldn't be needed to do on an upgrade anyways.

I was going to upgrade to Hopper, but with price increase next month on that receiver, I will just stick with my 622 and 722 for at least a bit longer. I realize you read here, but I thought you should be warned in case you missed that... though you still might enjoy a price break. :D

I thought I might talk to the tech about the upgrade before we do any replacing of switch and or dish. I was thinking about the new dishes and the fact that a switch was not needed in some installations, I'm all for keeping things simple. I did read about the increase in fees but I am ready for some new technology or at least the GUI so I will pay to play.

For just 1 Hopper the fee increase is not that bad, only $4 on the DVR fee, but more than 1 Hopper, you get it in the shorts for $7 for each every month plus the extra $4 for DVR fee.

Have you tried resetting the switch? Disconnect the power cable (port1) on the switch, leave unplugged for aprox 15-20 minutes, then reconnect. Also from what you're describing sounds more like a power supply issue, lack of external power on switch does what your switch is doing, so it could be a failing power supply. Try the switch reset and check your power supply.

Yep, did the switch reset shuffle. And it did work, however, the next day back to "Complete Signal Loss". Very possible that the power inserter power supply is the culprit. At this point Dish is coming out on Sat. to fix. Since I pay for the protection plan there is no extra charge for me at this time. And I might get the tech to upgrade me to the Hopper when he/she is here. Since my original call to Dish I have mellowed and just want them to fix me up. Thanks for the info!

The post cable running of installing a Hopper and Joey's is very time consuming. The whole process of loading the Hopper and Joeys ONE by ONE can take a long time. I wouldn't count an a tech who does NOT have a work order for a time consuming Hopper & Joeys install when he has other waiting customers to install to have the time to accommodate you at the expense of others who have made arrangements ahead of time and want their Hoppers, too, nor is he likely to post-pone his dinner any longer than it will be. Best to do what the CSR said: get the DPP44 replaced with the first call (that would be a quickie for a tech to perform). Them hang-up and call right back to upgrade. Work-orders can be KING at Dish. Easiest for each of your requests to have their own work-order.

It might not even the switch. It could be one of your LNBs.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Tech installed new 1000.2 dish solving the problem of even having to use the DPP 44 switch, one less thing to have problems with. Slightly larger dish is providing higher signal strength also. So next I will call either Dish directly or try a local retailer to upgrade to the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)