Hopper with Sling Network Connection Questions

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
In the Broadband Network Setup menu (yellow, Network Setup, Broadband, red dropdown tab) what is the difference between Ethernet Top and Ethernet Bottom settings? Also with MoCA selected what is the Frequency Scan button that pops open right hand side? Then if you select Frequency Scan what is the Restricted and Full menu all about? Thanks to all that respond.

No difference top or bottom you can use either one.

Thanks n0qcu. Do you know what the top and bottom is by any chance, just curious. Two of my Hoppers are set Ethernet Top and two are the bottom. Don't know how they got they got that way. I don't remember choosing one or the other. Joey does not have but one selection choice, Ethernet.

Thanks n0qcu. Do you know what the top and bottom is by any chance, just curious. Two of my Hoppers are set Ethernet Top and two are the bottom. Don't know how they got they got that way. I don't remember choosing one or the other. Joey does not have but one selection choice, Ethernet.

There are two Ethernet ports on the back of the Hopper. The idea behind having two ports was to allow a pass-thru connection to other devices but dish hasn't turned that feature on.

There are two Ethernet ports on the back of the Hopper. The idea behind having two ports was to allow a pass-thru connection to other devices but dish hasn't turned that feature on.

OK, thanks redelephants. In the Network Setup menu on the right hand side do you know what the difference is between Reset Connection and Reset Network? When you click on either one of them the same window code 875 pops open. They both say Resetting DHCP connection to verify communication between your receiver and router.

OK, thanks redelephants. In the Network Setup menu on the right hand side do you know what the difference is between Reset Connection and Reset Network? When you click on either one of them the same window code 875 pops open. They both say Resetting DHCP connection to verify communication between your receiver and router.

I do not for sure, but would think one is for resetting moca network, and one for the actual network connection. Basically it is releasing and renewing ip addresses.

I do not for sure, but would think one is for resetting moca network, and one for the actual network connection. Basically it is releasing and renewing ip addresses.

Thanks again redelephants. Does anyone know for sure? There must be a reason for the two different choices, Reset Connection & Reset Network. Also, in Network Setup MoCA mode, when Frequency Scan is selected does anyone know what is the Restricted & Full settings used for?

Thanks again redelephants. Does anyone know for sure? There must be a reason for the two different choices, Reset Connection & Reset Network. Also, in Network Setup MoCA mode, when Frequency Scan is selected does anyone know what is the Restricted & Full settings used for?

Reset connection just resets that receiver's connection. Reset network attempts to reset all of your receivers' connections, however it's not always reliable.

As for restricted/full, last time I asked about it probably nearly a year ago they said that setting does nothing at that moment. I don't know if that had changed or not but mine are all on the default "restricted" and work just fine, so if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Reset connection just resets that receiver's connection. Reset network attempts to reset all of your receivers' connections, however it's not always reliable.

As for restricted/full, last time I asked about it probably nearly a year ago they said that setting does nothing at that moment. I don't know if that had changed or not but mine are all on the default "restricted" and work just fine, so if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

OK, thanks for the info.

You can actually run a Joey off an ethernet patchcord from the hopper. Not something that would get a lot of use but it is an option fwiw.

You can actually run a Joey off an ethernet patchcord from the hopper. Not something that would get a lot of use but it is an option fwiw.

I checked out both top and bottom Ethernet ports on the Hopper. Each have their own Mac address. Also MoCA and wireless have their own Mac address too.

Is this something that Dish just enabled?
You've been able to run a joey off ethernet for a little while, but it is not a supported way, and if you have problems, Dish will not support it.

I can see Dish using the two different jacks on the Hopper kinda like MoCA, to create a separate network segment that is used solely for video, and use the other to provide internet to the system. I can see the possibility of trying to use a single network for everything having the potential of causing network collisions and degrading the performance of the video portion of the network, so instead just create a separate network.

Yes ethernet joey has worked since the release. What I was getting at is plugging a joey directly to the hopper ethernet port. Again, not something that seems all that useful in most applications but it will work.

Yes ethernet joey has worked since the release. What I was getting at is plugging a joey directly to the hopper ethernet port. Again, not something that seems all that useful in most applications but it will work.

So that's about the only use you can get out of both Ethernet ports at the same time. I've always wondered why Hopper has two Ethernet ports.

So that's about the only use you can get out of both Ethernet ports at the same time. I've always wondered why Hopper has two Ethernet ports.

So it seems. If I could run an ethernet switch off the second port I'd be a happy camper.

On a side note, I'm having some video dropout issues on my joeys that I'm trying to troubleshoot and not having much success with. I know you have a 4h/?J set up. Have you had any issues? My joe's are ethernet connected and I have a 2 HIC set up so I don't have much of a database to refer to. lol

Since the S292 update, my (1) WiFi Joey has had several different random quirks, such as video dropout issues that are fixed by simply powering off and powering back on, oddly enough the dropouts occur only on DVR recordings, and not on Live TV. It's only happened twice so far but it's pretty dang irritating. The worst bug S292 brought with it was the fact that the Daily Schedule doesn't update properly when you skip events. You have to power off and power on again for it to properly update.

Yeah, mine are dropping out more frequently during not only recordings but live tv also. I originally suspected the initial H and not the newer HWS but switching hasn't corrected the it. The J's aren't used as much so it's not a major inconvenience. I thought it may be an ethernet connectivity issue but running coax didn't fix it either. My 2nd HIC is behind HWS and running off a tap. Right now I'm trying to just use the bridging on the original hopper to connect the system and see if that fixes the issue, however the bridging seems to be quite stubborn. I've unplugged both HIC's and done a couple resets on both hoppers. Bridging shows as enabled but connection type is still HIC.

I make a living installing these things, and I'm more or less the go to hopper guy, but this has me stumped. Node has been replaced, I swapped the HIC's, and the cabling is all new. I thought it may be an ethernet issue, so I ran coax to one Joey to see if it fixed the issue and no dice.