Coming back to Canadian Satellite in the US

debraski

Original poster
Nov 26, 2006
Hi everyone.

I was a BellExpressvue subscriber via CanAm Satellites. Wehen BEV went to Bell, we lost our account. It's been some time, but now I want to get back into things.

I've read a lot of posts here, but I'm not sure what my best next step should be.

Since I have the BEV receiver & dish, I can't help but wonder if I should just try to get an account through Bell (I now have an address in Canada that I think I can use). But I'm also hearing that I can start with Star where I can pay online without having to harass my canadian contact every month.

I live in NJ, which I'm told may have signal issues.

Or maybe I should just find a new broker.

I know that's a lot and a lot of these questions have been fielded in other ways, but I can't decide if having the equipment shuld have any bearing on my choice (the receiver is kind of old by now).

I'd love all your input! Thanks!!

If you were a sub to CanAm when they went under (aka busted) your receiver is a doorstop. Bell has blacklisted those receivers

If you want to stay with Bell, I would suggest just getting a new receiver. When did you last have Bell? The HD sat changed about a year or so ago so there may be an issue in NJ

Before you even decide to go with Bell try and see if get a good signal on 82W.

Thanks for the quick replies! I figured that DVR was useless (merde!)

I haven't even tried anything signal wise in over a year.

I'll try 82W and see if anything comes up.

Is there consensus that I could just be SOL altogether in NJ?

Thanks for the quick replies! I figured that DVR was useless (merde!)

I haven't even tried anything signal wise in over a year.

I'll try 82W and see if anything comes up.

not necessarily; there was someone who got success outside of philly last summer using larger dishes than the standard issue for BEV. look through some of the old threads to see what he used

No, if you can get a half decent signal on 82W you could buy new receivers and either setup an account in Canada or use a broker. Your other choice which may be easier is Shaw Direct. You will for sure have no signal issues with them. Shaw Direct receivers lack many of the features that the Bell TV receivers but they picture quality is better.

Again, thanks.

I don't seem to be able to test 82W on my device. It seems like I should be able to switch from 91 to 82, but I can't figure out how to do it (admittedly, it's been 6 or 7 years since I initially set up the satellite, so I'm a little rusty.) But it seems like Shaw may be the way to go anyhow.

But any other input is welcomed!

I had Bell for years in New Jersey and the move to Nimiq 4 killed all of my HD. Unless you feel like fighting to find a fringe signal I suggest you look at Shaw Direct.

I have the Bell 9200-I went to a 30 in. (76cm) dish for the 82 sat. The only low transponders here in Philly are #5 and #11-now that the snow has melted here-I am going to try to play with the dish-maybe I can improve it. I use my family member add. in TO and Bell debits my card each month...you should be Ok in Jersey with a 30" dish...

The only low transponders here in Philly are #5 and #11-now that the snow has melted here-

So why should a new (or returning) sub bother with all the monkeying around with Bell in most US locations? Just get SD and forget it - plus get better HD PQ and fewer simsubs.

Given all of the info, I think i'm going to try Shaw. If you'll indulge 2 more questions:

Can I use the BEV dish itself to retrieve a Shaw signal (is that like using a Dish Network dish to get DirectTV?).

And, either way, could I get my hardware from somewhere other than Shaw and still get the service? Since I used the broker last time, I ordered the BEV hardware through them. If I went directly through Shaw, would they have to send me the hardware (through my Canadian friend) or could I buy the hardware myself and just have the hook me up.

Thanks again (and again!)

Can I use the BEV dish itself to retrieve a Shaw signal (is that like using a Dish Network dish to get DirectTV?).
no. They use different satellites. Bell uses DBS and Sahw uses KU Band. You need a different dish. Preferably the 75e

And, either way, could I get my hardware from somewhere other than Shaw and still get the service? Since I used the broker last time, I ordered the BEV hardware through them. If I went directly through Shaw, would they have to send me the hardware (through my Canadian friend) or could I buy the hardware myself and just have the hook me up.

Thanks again (and again!)

you can get it all through kusat.com
Thats what I did when I started with Shaw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)