Coming Back To D*....Little Install Help??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bucknut

Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Hi all. This is a bit long winded so forgive me. Long time reader, first time poster. After frequenting this forum for some time I am rejoining the D* family. I was with them for 5 years before switching to TW Cable. I’m really tired of the “boxy” pixels on the TW Cable DVR, so I’m switching, plus D* is a bit cheaper. Plus TW Cable SD channels look terrible. D* gave me a really good offer to join back up (TIVOs, free re-install, etc.), but I have a question.

Currently I have 2 RG-6 cable runs going through my house, one to each needed TV. With TW Cable I also have VoIP telephone and RoudRunner. I really do not want to run another line of RG-6 for D* so I was wondering if I could diplex the signals for TW Cable and D* and then split them again once they reach the destination, ie the TV and the cable modem? I know that before D* offered locals this was the process, having two feeds into one and then sending it the the destination, so I can only assume that this will work just fine. Do you think it will effect PQ or even possibly bandwidth?

I suppose the easy thing to do is just to run another cable, but it awfully dam* cold in my attic and I’d really rather not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

I think that will work with the diplexer. Currently I have a E* 522 which takes 2 inputs like the DTivo. The 522 also has 2 outputs. The TV2 out is going the bedroom via coax and the TV1 stays in the living room hooking up to the TV via S-video. Anyway, to get the coax back to the bedroom would have required 3 lines in the living room (2 in from the dish and 1 out to the bedroom), but the installer diplexed the signal on the sat2 input with the TV2 output so I only have the 2 lines in the living room now. This works absolutely fine for me, but it's an E* setup not a D*. I would think that the tones from the receiver to the multiswitch would still work being diplexed on a D* system, but I don't have any experience with it.

I have a question for you. I'm in a similar situation, former long time D* customer who dropped about 2 years ago but now looking to return to the fold (E*'s low PQ and the buggy 522 are not worth saving a few bucks a month). Did you have to beg for the DTivo or the free install or did they just offer it up to you? I want to sign back up soon, but I'm going to hook up with TWC again until D* releases the home media center late this year/early next year.

Hey ibleedblue.....I didn't have to beg for the deal that I got. I just told them what I had now, which was a TW Cable DVR and another receiver and they matched that for free and are coming out to repoint the dish. I did call the Customer Retention number and not the standard number. The Customer Retention number is 800-600-8977.

Now that I think about this it should work just fine. The signal is combined upon entry into the house by a diplexor and is then split apart by another diplexor at the end of the cable run. Should be kool and the gang...........or at least I hope so.

In most cases this will work, assuming that TWC isn't sending very low signal into your house and there isn't too much insertion loss going the other way back out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)