Coming back to D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shadyrest59

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I'm glad to be back in the D* family.

I've had D* through my building for two years. It's been great, but they are switching to Comcast (crap) and I decided to keep my D*.

I'm getting an HD DVR which I didn't have before, just a regular DVR. Can't wait for the HD service to get here tomorrow and the NFL lockout to end.

I'm happy, no more bitching about the PPV events, controlling my own service and just doing my own thing. I tried Dish and liked it, but the lack of the MLB network was ultimately a deal breaker.

Anyway, just saying, I'm glad to be back.

Also, what should I know about D*'s HD service? They show 1080p on their website, but I want to know what do they show in 1080p?

I've had an HDTV for while, but no HD service, so this is my first time.

Last edited:
The only 1080p available through Directv is PPV or VOD. Come to think of it, the 3D hd channel might be 1080p, I'm not sure.

Glad to be back.

I've had DTV once before and loved it, but had to get Comcast a while back. Then I had Dish Network and I liked it but after they decided not to get MLB Network and TVOne, I was finished with them.

So, I'm installed and I am really loving the HD picture. The thing I noticed this morning is that on my box (Gray version of black box I had before, not new box on website), that when I change channels, say ESPN 2 HD and NFL Network HD the resolution changes. Let me explain: I will have it on 1080i on ESPN 2, then switch to NFL Network, when I switch back, the resolution drops to 720p.

Does anyone know why this happens?

And does anyone know how to stop it from happening?

My TV goes up 1080p BTW.

I must say I was very disappointed to see the gray box. My entire home theater setup is black and now I have this fray box sticking out like a sore thumb. Why do they advertise one box and then send you another? Should I have asked for the box on the website?

I really want another black box, but it's not a really huge deal right now.

Last edited:
Shadyrest59 said:
So, I'm installed and I am really loving the HD picture. The thing I noticed this morning is that on my box (Gray version of black box I had before, not new box on website), that when I change channels, say ESPN 2 HD and NFL Network HD the resolution changes. Let me explain: I will have it on 1080i on ESPN 2, then switch to NFL Network, when I switch back, the resolution drops to 720p.

Does anyone know why this happens?

And does anyone know how to stop it from happening?

My TV goes up 1080p BTW.

I must say I was very disappointed to see the gray box. My entire home theater setup is black and now I have this fray box sticking out like a sore thumb. Why do they advertise one box and then send you another? Should I have asked for the box on the website?

I really want another black box, but it's not a really huge deal right now.

This was a brand new account and they didn't send you a H/HR24, that's surprising.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Did you get MRV? Also, are your locals available in HD. It sounds like you have, if I am reading your post correctly, a silver box, if you do it is a HR20 series, if your locals are not in HD on DirecTV, they could have given you a HR20 because it has a built in ASTC tuner for OTA. If you had ordered MRV and it is a new install I would think they would have provided HR24/H24 hardware.

So you are receiving your local channels from the satellite, and not from an antenna? The HR20 has a built in OTA tuner, so I thought if they did not (DirecTV) offer HD locals in your area yet they may have gave you the HR20 for that reason. MRV is Multi Room Viewing, you can view the content of any of your DVR receivers from any other receiver (H or HR series) in the house. On new installs they usually use H/HR24 equipment.

I have the silver box with my local channels in HD. I have no clue what MRV is.

I got an HR20/700 box I think.

Fyi,
If you want to bverify the make and model of your units, there are several places to do that:
Inside the Access Card door
In the Menus:
Menu/Set Up/System Set Up/Info
This page gives you Recvr model, ID, Access Card Number and Software version.

If you click on Info and then More System Info, you;ll get a lot more info about the recvr and the current dish type and internal temps and much more.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts