Coming Back To Dish - Install Tomorrow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Shoot To Thrill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
United States
My contract was up at DirecTV and I've decided to return to Dish.

I am having the Hopper and 3 Joeys installed tomorrow. Is there anything I should ask the installers or is the install routine?

Any tips/secrets on the operation of the Hopper?

2 hoppers and 2 joeys might work a little better. If your family/ roommates are going to watch multiple (3 or More) TVs at the same time.

No, I don't think I'd use the sling technology. I barely have time to watch TV at home.

the reason i mentioned it is because there was a comment in another thread that it was free for new customers with contract. It's got a faster processor, so that could be one little benefit.

Also the Hopper w/Sling has the Hopper Transfer app, to transcode and move the program to an iPad or (later) Android tablet. No other Dish receiver has the intestinal fortitude to do that.

When I signed up the Sling was offered for $49.99.

The new Hopper with sling wasn't in their system until yesterday so they wouldn't have offered it to you back when you probably signed up. You could probably call up and get your order modified or get DIRT to modify it. Although my comment is probably late since you may have already been installed, but perhaps it will help some others who are getting installed soon.

(of course that's assuming you're interested in a box with a faster processor)

Installed Today - Questions

I got the Hopper installed today and so far so good except one thing.

How do I get rid of the black bars on the side when HD is not available? I never had this issue with DirecTV so I am guessing there is a setting I can't find.

Thanks.

On the remote down on the left side you can see the button ".*" It also says "FORMAT" above it. Press that and it scrolls through several settings, one of which is "stretch". That gets rid of the bars, but it does what it says: it stretches the picture. That's the easy way to get rid of the bars. On a non HD tv, the bars shouldn't be present.

I think the single hopper will work just fine here. We had the two tuner whole home DVR from DirecTV and had no problems. We'll see how this woks out.

The installer was very professional and helpful. I guess he was here for 2.5 hours.

He said it was a simple install and did use the cables under the house but ran a new cable from the dish to the Hopper.

Now I just have to get use to all the new bells and whistles, the new channel numbers and the UI.

For the cost I would've gone with the new Hopper with Sling, a regular Hopper and two Joeys. If not that then just the two regular Hoppers with two Joeys. There is an upfront cost but the monthly fees are the same and having one hopper with three Joeys.

I know you say you don't need it now but in 6 months you may be kicking yourself and when you want to add it you'll be paying the upgrade fee anyway.

For the cost I would've gone with the new Hopper with Sling, a regular Hopper and two Joeys. If not that then just the two regular Hoppers with two Joeys. There is an upfront cost but the monthly fees are the same and having one hopper with three Joeys.

I know you say you don't need it now but in 6 months you may be kicking yourself and when you want to add it you'll be paying the upgrade fee anyway.

I ain't too worried. The 2 tuner DirecTV set up that everyone said would cause issues never did - Not once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts