Commercial D500 vs D1000

w2n

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Can anyone compare a commercial D500 (extra large reflector) to the D1000? if you had your choice which would you want? I've been out of the loop for about 2years & am finally considering switching to Dish. I'm looking to have HD programming & live in a condo. I'd like to try to avoid a mess on the roof.

(Please feel free to get technical w/ me, i was an FSM for 3 years.)

The D500 see two orbital locations and the D1000 see 3 orbital locations. What this means is that the D1000 can see an additional satellite at the 129 orbital location where a lot of the HD programming is transmitted from. Depending upon where you live, you are probably going to want a D1000 in order to keep the install as clean as possible. If you live on the far east coast or the pacific NW, you might want to install a D500 and a separate dish in order to improve your signal strength or gain access to programming on one of the wing satellites at either 61.5 or 148.

Can anyone compare a commercial D500 (extra large reflector) to the D1000? if you had your choice which would you want? I've been out of the loop for about 2years & am finally considering switching to Dish. I'm looking to have HD programming & live in a condo. I'd like to try to avoid a mess on the roof.

Ok, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong type of dish. But isn't a commercial grade D500 a 24 inch dish with one dual LNB on it?

If you wanted to simulate the D1000 experience, you would need 3 of those larger dishes to pull in all 3 birds.

148 has the same programming as the 61.5 maybe less than a handful of difference (at least it did when i was running a crew) you could in theory hit either from the center of the US but the 148 was for west coast & the 61.5 was for east coast. the 148 LOS on the east is just above the horizon making it nearly impossible for most installs. (although i can think of 2 jobs were we pointed at it instead of the 61.5 because it was easier)

the dish is shaped same as a regular 500 except it's oversized. (for less rain fade) you can install either a twin or 2 duals (as it has a yoke included).

I guess i'm asking if the D1000 has reduced rain fade or is as prone to it as an average D500. Also it was my understanding that the 129 (or the other sat available with a D1000) is "only" for local channels. is this true?

Also it was my understanding that the 129 (or the other sat available with a D1000) is "only" for local channels. is this true?[/quote]
It also has a lot of the national HD channels on it.

I guess i'm asking if the D1000 has reduced rain fade or is as prone to it as an average D500. Also it was my understanding that the 129 (or the other sat available with a D1000) is "only" for local channels. is this true?

129 has some locals and all the HD channels mirrored on 61.5

148 has ethnic & locals

The HD on 61.5 is mirrored on 129
The Ethnics on 61.5 are mirrored on 148

Companies such as MCM Electronics offer dishes in the 30 to 36" range, with one LNB for weak signal areas. ( www.mcminone.com ) In my older neighborhood trees make most 18-24" dishes worthless. I have seen one house with what looks like a 36" dish on it.

Couldn't find them

Companies such as MCM Electronics offer dishes in the 30 to 36" range, with one LNB for weak signal areas. ( www.mcminone.com ) In my older neighborhood trees make most 18-24" dishes worthless. I have seen one house with what looks like a 36" dish on it.
I looked at the MCM site that your link took me to and couldn't find but 1 dish that works for D*.

There is no true commercial 500 dish. Dish supplies a standard 500 or 1000 dish, only the contracts are different for commercial accounts.
If you want a larger dish you are basically on a diy trip.

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)