Commercial Volume

scots

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I've noticed that commercials that are being inserted by Dish have an insanely loud volume on them. The commercials that the network broadcasts are fine, and seem to be pretty close to the volume of the show. Other than the Dish inserted commercials I don't really have to do much with muting/adjusting the volume, even when changing from one channel to another. I'm pretty sure this is only happening on the HD channels, but I could be wrong. I've been having to mute the sound when Dish inserted commercials come on because if I don't it pretty much blows out all the windows in the house (along with our eardrums). I'm connected HDMI to a Sony receiver, and then HDMI again to the TV. Anyone else noticing this?

I've noticed that commercials that are being inserted by Dish have an insanely loud volume on them. The commercials that the network broadcasts are fine, and seem to be pretty close to the volume of the show. Other than the Dish inserted commercials I don't really have to do much with muting/adjusting the volume, even when changing from one channel to another. I'm pretty sure this is only happening on the HD channels, but I could be wrong. I've been having to mute the sound when Dish inserted commercials come on because if I don't it pretty much blows out all the windows in the house (along with our eardrums). I'm connected HDMI to a Sony receiver, and then HDMI again to the TV. Anyone else noticing this?

this subject has been discussed many many times in these forumns. not just the Dish forum. Try searching and sit back and read read read.

Yea, it stinks, doesn't it?

One article stated it was all a perception of loudness. That is, movies and TV-shows have more dynamics (quiet passages and loud passages), while a commercial can be just one volume, therefore we perceive it as louder. Personally I think that is bull. Many of the commercials are just plain broadcast much louder.

this subject has been discussed many many times in these forumns. not just the Dish forum. Try searching and sit back and read read read.

I did a search before I posted this, but all I really found was stuff about volume issues when switching between SD and HD channels. Maybe I'm not putting in the right words to search on or something. I have no issue with volume when switching between SD and HD channels, and I have no issues with the commercials that the stations are showing. It's only the commercials that Dish injects in place of the commercials the station is showing that have the horrendous volume.

Yea, it stinks, doesn't it?

One article stated it was all a perception of loudness. That is, movies and TV-shows have more dynamics (quiet passages and loud passages), while a commercial can be just one volume, therefore we perceive it as louder. Personally I think that is bull. Many of the commercials are just plain broadcast much louder.

This is definitely no perception thing. I'll be watching a show, a commercial will come on and the volume is fine, then another commercial or two will come on and blow the windows out of the whole house, and then another commercial or back to the show and the volume will be fine again. The reason I know it's the commercials that Dish is inserting over top of the channel's commercial is because on several occasions the extremely loud commercial(s) will end and then the very tail-end (like just a few seconds) of another commercial pops up with a "normal" volume.

i have D and E and i have to tell you that D is even worse not only with their own commercials but with others as well. it drives me insane. i find E* to be better with this problem. sometimes you're in bed with the volume low and suddenly you jump to the large difference in volume. crazy.

Yes, they use dynamic range compression tricks to do this. This makes it so the commercial reads about the same with a conventional dBa meter, but is perceptibly louder.

But they've trained me... I only skip commercials now. Such a time saver.

Used to be that the FCC outlawed commercials being a different volume than the programming, but then the FCC was co-opted by business due to deregulation by Reagan's Congress in the '80's. This was also when Equal Time Regulations were rescinded, which led to the rise of radical talk radio.

I get so bloody tire of getting screamed at by hard-limited audio on commercials...I agree.

Billy Mays here for...oh shut the hell up! *mute*

lol:D i hate billy mays. such an irritating voice. he sounds like my ass in the middle of a diarrhea session.

I did a search before I posted this, but all I really found was stuff about volume issues when switching between SD and HD channels.
Did you search for the topic of your thread??? I did and along with some of the HD/SD complaints, there are a couple of threads about your subject.

You need to get a receiver with Audyssey Dynamic Volume. I have it on my Denon 3808 and it is AMAZING. There is no difference in the volume of commercials and the shows.

LOL! And is there anything he doesn't hock these days? Used to just be OxyClean...now it's tons of stuff that probably doesn't work either! :D
You got that right! I don't think it was OxyClean that I bought... But it was some other cleaner that did not work even slightly like Billy Mays showed it working. I now avoid all products hawked by that smarmy salesman.

You got that right! I don't think it was OxyClean that I bought... But it was some other cleaner that did not work even slightly like Billy Mays showed it working. I now avoid all products hawked by that smarmy salesman.

you probably bought KABOOM :D

I've also notice that on some of the overly-loud commercials, they must be recorded to take advantage of surround matrixing (If that's the right term). Earlier a commercial for Proactive acne came on and it was not only much louder than the previous commercials, it also filled up the room more. I got up and walked to each speaker in my 7.1 setup and they all had the commercial content playing at a level slightly lower than the fronts.

So no only did this commercial max out their signal db wise, they managed to get the surrounds to kick in as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)