Commitment Question

Poosh

Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Ok My question is about the commitment. I got the 510 receiver back when they were offering it for $99 for a one year commit or for free with a two year commit. I know I will be sticking with dish for at least the next 2-4 years becasuse of our Rural cable co. So I went with the 2 year commit to get it free. Everything is fine and dandy. My question is however when they ever offer the 522 for lease I will be all for that. But if I get it I would like to use it to replace both my 510 and my 301. So the question is, Is my commitment for two years to the 510 or just to the programming for 2 years. And is the 510 mine or theirs. I.E. will the let me take the 510 off my account. and if so, is it mine that I can keep as a back up or maybe activate it later for the kids room or sell it on ebay or whatever. Or do I have to send it back in along with my 301 to be able to receive the 522?
Any guess or answers?

Thanks, guys.

Oh and thanks for the forum this is a great place. Been a long time Lurker first time poster of question I signed up just before the drawing the other day for charlie chat. Great thing you guys got going here! Keep up the great work. :D

Larry

Are you under any promotion? DHP Dish leases you the equipment, Free Dish you own the equipment at the end of the contract. 522 upgrade information hasn't been released so it is guess work. In the past you had to return the old equipment to DISH or pay a fee or add it as additional receivers on the account. The information released so far on the 522 is that it will be a lease only even as an upgrade, so just be patient until at least the next CCHAT.

You own the 510. The commitment is tied to the programming, and once you renew with another promotion, your commitment will refresh if you qualify for the promo.

Like I had a 1 year commitment, 10 months into the commitment, I upgraded to a 721, and my commitment extended one year from the upgrade date. It's not cumulative.

If you choose to swap out the 510 and 311 for a 522, Dish gives you an option to send back the recievers you own for a reduced installation fee.

I was pretty sure that I owned the 510 but wasn't sure because of it being a promotion thing. As far as the 301 and everything else I purchased the dish and 301 package and I think it was a 2400 back in 2001. SO I know I owned those but then on the 510 promotion I returned the 2400, they said if I didn't then it wasn't an upgrade and I would be charged $50. If they were to do that again I would just return the 301 and keep the 510.
I guess your right though on who knows what they will offer for sure. But thanks for the info on the commitment thing.

Cheers!
Larry

On the 1year $99/2 year $0 promotion you DO own the 510.

In the disclaimer for that promotion it did say you must sub to AT60 or above and keep the 510 activated

Poosh - Here is an exceprt from the 510 upgrade terms and conditions:

If the customer downgrades their basic programming package below America’s Top 60 or DISH Latino or deactivates the DISH Player-DVR 510 satellite TV receiver at any time during the agreement period, a $240 Cancellation Fee will be assessed.

I do believe you own it. You just can't deactivate yet.

Ok thanks, that helps a lot. Because then that would mean I could just lease the 510 and pay $240 to have the 510 deactivated. I would have a vod fee and and a lease fee for a total of min $10. have dual pvr and be able to go to second room.

Or I could pay $249 for a 721 get rid of the 301 have a dual pvr and a pvr in the second room and only have additional receiver fee and vod fee about $10.

Number 2 sounds much better.

Or just wait for that mythical 544 thingy and by then my 2 years may be up. :)
I just wish you could pay out the $249 for the 721. I'm buying a new house hope to close at the end of July, can't afford to plop over the $249 just yet. I guess I will just wait and see

Thanks for all the info guys. Your all great!

Larry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)