Committed, Uncommitted and NIT

Babadem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2007
MA
This might be kind of embarrassing to ask the following questions, but here goes. Setting up the AZBox Me, I see the following switch options, Uncommitted and Committed. Even though, I have my setup working properly, I would like to know exactly what they mean and when to apply each option, instead of guessing during setup.

Secondly, is "NIT" the same thing as Network scan, and what does the acronym "NIT" stand for? I have always shut-off NIT during blind scan and turned it on during Satellite or transponder scan. Is that correct?

This might be kind of embarrassing to ask the following questions, but here goes. Setting up the AZBox Me, I see the following switch options, Uncommitted and Committed. Even though, I have my setup working properly, I would like to know exactly what they mean and when to apply each option, instead of guessing during setup.

I assume you are talking about the "combination" setting (that's what it is called on my AZBox Ultra).

Basically, it's a way to cascade a combination of committed and uncommitted switches. For example, a standard (committed) 4x1, and up to four 8x1 (or even 16x1) uncommitted switches. Also, in my case, with my EMP Centauri 8x1, a way to use all 8 ports. My version of the EMP Centauri switch allows you to use it as a "motor" (which could then go on one port of a 4X1) or as a committed/uncommitted switch, using the combinations A1,B1,C1,D1,A2,B2,C2,D2. There is also a version 2 EMP Centauri switch where it can also be used as an uncommitted switch (1-8). If I had that version, I could put it on a port of a 4x1 and use the committed/uncommitted settings A1, A2, etc., to A8. I could also get three more EMP Centauri switches and put them on the other three ports of a 4x1 and use the B1-8, C1-8, and D1-8 settings.

NIT

NIT is an acronym for Network Information Table.

I believe that the only provider (FTA) that comes close to using a NIT is GloryStar. Otherwise, it is something that DN and DirecTV provides.

Basically (for laymans terms) it is a specific sat/TP/channel that you can tune your receiver to and it will load ALL the other satellites and transponders and channels that that specific provider has available from that one source (channel) without having to blind scan or satellite search them all out individually.

That doesn't mean that you will receive all those channels or sats of course, but the information regarding the satellite, transponder data and channel data will be downloaded and recorded into your IRD from that one source (kinda like someone loading a full channel list for you for one provider).

For the general application of FTA, it doesn't do a whole lot for you.

RADAR

COMMITTED vs UNCOMMITTED

Babadem,

I am not very knowledgable on this subject. But, I will toss out some of the information that I am aware of and try to avoid any false statements or misnomers if I can.

First of all, there are very few UN-COMMITTED type switches out there (as far as I know). I think that they are uncommon because they are expensive.

Secondly, UN-COMMITTED switches are designed to be "cascadable" or daisy-chained if you want to call it that. But, only to a certain extent. For example, you could have an UNCOMMITTED DiSEqC switch feeding off of several COMMITTED switches in order to tie several receivers into numerous satellites.

Right now, I forget which switch type has to come first in line (position from the IRD). It is akin to this... One switch can operate the other, but not the other way around. Also, one type of switch cannot operate another switch that is of the same style (an uncommitted switch cannot operate another uncommitted switch and a committed switch cannot operate another committed switch).

You can set up quite a big menagerie of switches for many fixed point dishes and feeding multiple recievers through a combination of UNCOMMITTED + COMMITTED switches placed in the proper sequence. However, the UNCOMMITTED switches are quite expensive. That is why I cannot be an authority on their operation as I never attempted to use them.

I believe that it is most probable that you won't ever get into this type of switch setup. Therefore, in your receiver's setup menu, stick with the default setting for the switch style (I think that will be COMMITTED style) and leave it at that.

You could possibly spend some time using the SEARCH feature for the site and go back in time to pull up some old discussions regarding this notion, but unless you really have to, I wouldn't get too deep into the application. Most often, this is not necessary.

For being a bit inebriated and very tired from trying to relocate my residence, I can only say that I tried my best to attempt to answer your Q. I am sure that if I am incorrect that someone else will jump in to clarify it all properly. I hope they do as I need a refresher course! Ha Ha

RADAR

RADAR

Thanks RADAR and Keith Brannen. Over the years I have seen these Uncommitted and Committed option on receivers, but never had a full understanding of how they're supposed to work, hence my question. I have always used "Committed" during my setups, but thought it wise to ask the questions above to see I'm setting up my system right. I may have to read more about this, so that I can truly understand the principles of the those options.