Commsocpe cable identification

fighterpilot

Original poster
May 29, 2010
southeast
I have search the web, including this site and found most of the numbers on cable in some member's previous posts, but not a complete match, hence not sure what I have. I want to pull cable for my grandson's new house and picked this up at the flea market today. Cable says "JT2903312 COMMSCOPE INC BRIGHTWIRE (TM) 9900963 BM (ETL) us 18 AWG "150v" ". I can find reference to eveything but the first number JT-----. It is a coax type cable, looks like copper wire with foam and shielding around it. Is the 18 AWG the same as RG 6? Brightwire is anti-corrosive, patented. Everything seems to indicate it would be good for house cable wiring but don't want to get it in and closed up and find that the JT2903312 labels it as some special use and it shouldn't have been used in the house. Now going to use cable company, but who knows might go to Sat. if Cable company doesn't work out. Thanks for your help.

If it doesn't have RG6A or RG6 plainly printed on the outer protective cover, then it isn't suitable for satellite runs. I think the RG6A is preferred over RG6. From what I can find on the internet, you have coaxial cable intended for cable TV which would be a much lower frequency.

I'm guessing that it is contract specific cable and you're going to have to call Commscope to find out. Chances are pretty good that an electrical inspector won't let it pass without authoritative documentation since the specs aren't printed on the cable.

Made for brightwire

You will have to call Commscope. That was made for a "jobber". A company had specs for putting it in a large install or sets of installs and order several thousands of ft made. 18 AWG is RG6 but the rest is gonna be an unknown. It may have been for RF that isn't hi freq. like sat.

Thanks for the infromation. My window for installation is next Sunday. Grandson indicates he is going to go with cable but one never knows. The RG6 coax connector seems to fit pretty well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts