Comparing 811 & 921 PQ

Mark_AR

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
North Arkansas
I took it upon myself to do some experimenting and found a way to get HD PIP side by side and can compare the color between the 811 and 921 simultaeneously.

The 811 is just a bit darker than the 921. All images were done on May 11, 2004 Between 7 and 7:30 AM.

HDNET logo:

comp12.jpg

Making of Stewart Little 2 screen:

comp14.jpg

Trading Spaces graphic:

comp16.jpg

Program Guides:

comp13.jpg

I also compared OVERSCAN between the 2 units but have not uploaded those pics yet. They both have unacceptable overscan in my opinion.

I used the DVI output for the 811 and COMPONENT out for the 921. Both are using OPTICAL audio outputs.

So theoretically I could record 2 programs with the 921, view a 3rd recorded event and inset another program side by side or in a smaller corner window from the 811. :cool:

Mark_AR said:
I used the DVI output for the 811 and COMPONENT out for the 921. Both are using OPTICAL audio outputs.

So theoretically I could record 2 programs with the 921, view a 3rd recorded event and inset another program side by side or in a smaller corner window from the 811. :cool:

I think the 811 came out a little darker because DVI is a little darker than component. Is there any way you can swap (i.e. put 921 on dvi and 811 on component) and do the comparison again?

I wish I had a way to show you PIP with a s-video DVD on one side, s-video 811 on the other. (I don't have any displays with PIP). With the display calibrated to the DVD side, the 811 side would come out looking very very dark :(

Anyway, looks like you have one of the good 811's. Mine has dark images on s-video, component and DVI-D, SD and HD - all HD resolutions, OTA and satellite. This will all be fixed with P266, Dish have assured me.

Keith.

smodak said:
I think the 811 came out a little darker because DVI is a little darker than component. Is there any way you can swap (i.e. put 921 on dvi and 811 on component) and do the comparison again?

I did that before I took these pics and the output was still just a shade darker on the 811 than the 921.

Mark_AR said:

And if the 921 programs are SD, you can PIP them - even a 2nd simultaneous playback - actually playback and "live" are all the same anyhow - it all goes through the HDD first. :)

The 811 looks better. The 921 looks too bright. Compare the opening in that box or whatever to the left of the blond in the foreground ... you get lots of good detail on the 811, the 921 seems to have the contrast up too high.

811-510 comparo

This is s-video from the 811 on the left and 510 on the right. The display had been adjusted to compensate for the 811.

The monitor is a DLP.

I feel all the outputs of the 811 are dark, not just the 480i.

Attachments

• 811-510.jpg
    811-510.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 186
Are we really trying to judge HD picture quality differences with digital photographic images. Personal observations & preferences yes, but photographics,, uh no.. :D

We really do need more HD programming :yes

snathanb said:
The 811 looks better. The 921 looks too bright. Compare the opening in that box or whatever to the left of the blond in the foreground ... you get lots of good detail on the 811, the 921 seems to have the contrast up too high.

Part of the shortfalls with the pictures is that they are taken with a 1 megapixel camera and sitting in the sweetspot. There may be a bit of color washout/oversaturation to the camera eye.

I agree in some scenes the picture does seem to be more natural looking on my particular 811 unit. The flesh tones are closer to natural. On darker scenes is where you seem to lose the most detail. A nearly black scene on the 811 will not show any detail whereas the 921 at least will.

My main gripe again is not only darkness, but how much picture do we see as compared to what we are not seeing around the edges. (Overscan)

~5% is acceptable all the way around. Both of my units fail miserably with overscans of up to 14% on sides and 10+ on bottom.

I'm not spending another $650 for ISF calibration to see if it is my monitor. With the Digital Video Essentials DVD, my monitor specs at 6or 7% so I know it is not way out of adjustment.

Anyone with a Hi-Def monitor can check it on Tuesday mornings. HDNET broadcasts a set of Test Patterns @ 8AM Eastern.

Rlanham said:
Are we really trying to judge HD picture quality differences with digital photographic images. Personal observations & preferences yes, but photographics,, uh no.. :D

We really do need more HD programming :yes

PQ with digital photo images can't fully demonstrate the detail that HD has. That is not the point of the thread. Variation in color/hue in a side by side comparison are.

Both tuners are dispalyed on the same channel, at the same time on the same medium using the same camera to aquire the image. There is at least some control over skewing the image.

I agree with more HD content 100%! With twice the resolution of SD, I find myself watching the same HD programs over and over just so I don't have to go back to watching SD blurry overcompressed content.

Mark_AR said:
PQ with digital photo images can't fully demonstrate the detail that HD has. That is not the point of the thread. Variation in color/hue in a side by side comparison are.

Both tuners are dispalyed on the same channel, at the same time on the same medium using the same camera to aquire the image. There is at least some control over skewing the image.

I agree with more HD content 100%! With twice the resolution of SD, I find myself watching the same HD programs over and over just so I don't have to go back to watching SD blurry overcompressed content.

I was just attempting to be humorous. But really whether it is picture detail or hue, you cannot do a fair side by side comparison of a photograph of a TV, anymore than the show hosts on the shopping channels that are demonstrating a stereo system & say listen to the wonderful sound. But I do think the photos are better quality than SD on my 811. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)