Please reply by conversation.

Turksat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
New York City
Here is my comparison, including my current bill to TWC:

satellitecomparisonwb5.gif

The main reason I want to switch to DirecTV or Dish is because of more advanced DVR features. It started when TWC swapped their decent DVR firmware with a inferior one when I had to take my old DVR in for a replacement.
Therefore quality and reliability of DVR is the first priority, then price and minimum service interruptions.

So, considering these, (eventhough this is DirecTV category) which one would you recommend? I liked Dish's pricing because they include Cinemax for 12 months for a penny, and with usual HBO/Starz for 3 months free.

The important thing about billing is, do they charge a lot of extra fees/surcharges on top of the number I see above? For example Dish is $70/month, plus tax I assume. Will they charge me bunch of frenchise, fcc, regulation, compliance, etc.. fees?

That looks like that is for 1 DVR recevier.....if you get more thank one recv, you will have $5/$7 fee per extra recv per month. (2nd / 3rd / 4th recv)

I only need 1 receiver. :) When you look at your bill, are there any other fees/surcharges?
Oh and I believe they charge TAX based on full price, and then remove the discounts, both DirecTV and Dish.

That's not convenient, especially with DirecTV since their first 12 month price is low, but if they TAX based on full price that will jack it up.
Again, as long as I pay less than cable, I am OK. My switching purpose is better equipment and higher quality picture.
And there is no place where I can go and test these boxes.

I dont wanna start a thread fight in anyway but IN MY PERSONAL experience Dish has been more reliable FOR ME. I had Directv and my HDDVR would freeze needing a reset a few times a day. Others have had no problems with Directv however with Dish Ive had 0 problems with my HD DVR's.

I have both. In my experience, either would be fine. Personally though, I prefer D* for a few reasons (many of which may not apply to you). I love the sports offereings from D* versus what E* offers. There is no comparison here. On the other hand, E* does offer more premiums. I also think that the customer service with D* is better for the most part. Easier to talk to, easier to get what you want, and get issues resolved.

As far as equipment, it depends again on what you want. E* has higher rated DVRs (based on Cnet, ect). However, I am very happy with my HR series DVRs from D*. MINE have been rock solid. Basically both have had problems, and you may or may not experience them depending on who you go with. This is true with any company IMHO.

For me, the D* lineup is better. I get more HD channels that I want.

Price is tricky. E* has better low end packages, however when you get to the upper end of things, it is a wash, or in many cases D* can save you a buck. Not much difference really.

All of that said, if I were getting service today, I would get D*.

You may have different needs.

Thanks. I tried to list what is most important to me, reception and quality of equipment. DirecTV has a lot of cool stuff like online scheduling and online on demand download, very cool. Plus being able to keep those on demand titles in the hard drive is another cool thing.
I also noticed that it won't charge me unless I actually start watching a VOD PPV title! :) Very cool.

Dish doesnt list a lot of info about their on demand service, and neither lists all channels, however DirecTV seems to be more revealing when it comes to what you get service wise, but Price-wise it is still tricky. I am still trying to find out if they charge additional stuff on the bill.

Thanks. I tried to list what is most important to me, reception and quality of equipment. DirecTV has a lot of cool stuff like online scheduling and online on demand download, very cool. Plus being able to keep those on demand titles in the hard drive is another cool thing.
I also noticed that it won't charge me unless I actually start watching a VOD PPV title! :) Very cool.

Dish doesnt list a lot of info about their on demand service, and neither lists all channels, however DirecTV seems to be more revealing when it comes to what you get service wise, but Price-wise it is still tricky. I am still trying to find out if they charge additional stuff on the bill.

I'm in California, so it might be slightly different, but D* doesn't add ANY extra fees to my bill. It's strictly the advertised monthly charge, the DVR fee, and the extra receiver fees. Oddly, even though D* is headquartered in El Segundo, CA, there are no taxes whatsoever on my bill. My condolences to all of you in other states that are hit up with sales and satellite taxes.

Top 250 and HD Gold Qualifiys for DVR atvantage so your DVR fee will be Waved
Top 250 DVR atvantage For
$59.99 per month
Comes with DVR in 2 Rooms 1 HD and 1 SD (Vip 722 $50 extra) or 1 room HD/DVR Vip 612 no upfront cost, and includes your local channels.
HD gold is $10 extra ($69.99) and since this counts as 2 premiums all other premiums are only $10 extra Including HBO and Playboy tv.
and Cinemax (.01) Comes to
$70
NO other fee's Unless your state has them. Or you can't plug your receiver into a landbased phone line or connect it to a broadband connection. Then its $5 extra. My state I pay sales 6% sales tax.
So this is correct.

Last edited:
Just a Side note E* Top 250 Comes with the
Full Encore Pack, The Movie Channel West, TMC Xtra West,
ESPNU,CBS-C,Fox Soccer,Outdoor Channel,
These require addtional pack from D* to
receive.
Also E* comes with more Premium Channels in their packs
HBO Comedy
HBO Zone
Action Max
5 Starmax
Showtime Beyond
TMC Xtra
TMC Xtra West
On top of all the Premiums that D* carrys.
D* carrys HBO Family West and E* doesn't.

Hey fellow mopar guy, :) thanks for the details, I actually did not realize that it was upgraded to 250 automatically eventhough it said DVR has been added for best price. I thought it was just 200 DVR package. Thank you very much for pointing that out.

However, I am a bit upset to hear that on-demand would require additional $5 per month fee, since I have to hook it up to get on deman channels.

If I end up with either one, D* or E*, do I have to ask them for a certain DVR or is it a gamble?

So far biggest plus of D* is the remote programming of DVR and vast majority of on demand channels, versus E* same price for more channels, and presumably (or as posted at few other places) better DVR Operating System, but that's eye of the beholder.

Thanks again.

Neither providers will let you choose your receivers. They might say they will, but it depends what they have in stock.

My Personal opinion is that your better with Directv. Also Directv's On Demand Service is free as long as you have a High Speed Internet connection. The only thing about it that costs money is the PPV. Also you can do remote scheduling from your PC or Cell Phone with Directv anytime, including On Demand. For what I have seen Directv;s On Deman Service is far better than dishes in many ways.

Neither providers will let you choose your receivers. They might say they will, but it depends what they have in stock.

My Personal opinion is that your better with Directv. Also Directv's On Demand Service is free as long as you have a High Speed Internet connection. The only thing about it that costs money is the PPV. Also you can do remote scheduling from your PC or Cell Phone with Directv anytime, including On Demand. For what I have seen Directv;s On Deman Service is far better than dishes in many ways.

Thanks! :up
Is there really a big difference in DVR between Dish and DirecTV interface wise? Also HDD size, flexibility, etc?
I believe neither has option to export recordings to other devices via USB or Firewire or External storage expansion?

I was teetering between the two satellite providers for a month or two before I made my choice. The punchline was the fact that DISH wanted to charge me 5 bucks per receiver that wasn't connected to a phone line where DTV didn't charge anything. That would have been 20 bucks more a month for me to get DISH. I told them where they could stick their extra fees and haven't looked back since. I am happy with DTV.

I am not sure if the Hard Drives are the same size or not. Also if you have you Directv DVR Networked you can watch your recorded programs on your PC on your home network. That's a super cool feature. Also Directv is always coming out with new features all the time, expecially if you have the HD DVR.

If you need too, you can hook a SATA Hard Drive to your DVR for more storage.

I was teetering between the two satellite providers for a month or two before I made my choice. The punchline was the fact that DISH wanted to charge me 5 bucks per receiver that wasn't connected to a phone line where DTV didn't charge anything. That would have been 20 bucks more a month for me to get DISH. I told them where they could stick their extra fees and haven't looked back since. I am happy with DTV.

What's the deal with that, why do they need you to hook it up to phone line? Is there some sort of profiling going on, like statistics of what you watch, etc so if they cannot get that data they want you to pay for it? Or is it because you are using some bandwidth on the satellite channel which costs them money so they push guide/updates/etc to broadband?

sundude90, thanks for that info. SATA would be nice if internal hdd fills up on HD Movies. Especially during that first 3 months.
Which brings the question, can I continue watching recorded HBO movies after I cancel the HBO? This has not been a problem with TWC, I could watch it from DVR even if I cancel that channel. That would be a big turn off. :)

As an installer i enjoy dish over direct for the funconality of the dvr recever and HD Picture quality.. o and recording 4 shows at once on dvr (722K) 612,622,722 only three at once :(. the $5 phone like hook up is ez to get waved i do it for every install that i do that has no home phone service..

On direct ive gone through many HR2X recevers . ran bolth cables for dish and direct same time 4 rg6 quad solid copper and bolth systems are grounded.

What ive noticed is with dish i have no problem recording movie chanels but on direct i will get msg stating that you are not alowd to record this event mosly on HBO but i can on dish net.

When people ask me what one is better i say "Do you love soprts & hate money.... Then direct is for you..."

With Directv the only reason you need your phone line hooked up to the receiver for is to order PPV and Called ID on you receiver. Also Directv can use that connection to do some troubleshooting if needed.

You do NOT have to have your phone hooked up to Broadband Internet, that only for if you want On Demand, Directv2PC (Watch your DVR on you PC) and other features that are currently in the testing stage.

Are you getting a HD DVR or a SD DVR??

I don't think there would be any problem with watching pre-recorded from a channel that you don't have anymore. As long as you record it when you have that channel you should be all set. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Thank you very much Sundude, no. It now all comes down to speed of getting it installed, and deciding on if I really want to switch or stay with Time Warner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)