Status
Please reply by conversation.

tdenton1138

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Hi all...

I know that the WGA600n (~$90) is a supported adapter which will configure directly with the HR2x series without hooking up to a computer, but frankly that's not that big a deal to me... I can use my laptop to get in on my network.

My router is a Linksys G using wpa2 and I don't really see the need to upgrade it to an N anytime soon, if ever, which led me to this post.

Since I only have 1.5kbps dsl, I certainly don't need anything beyond G or really even B for that, but of course any computer streaming/mrv (soon I hope) would be throttled down on a G relative to an N, though probably not even all that much - if any - considering...

So, Is there any reason I shouldn't just get a G wireless gaming adapter since they're cheaper? And if my assumptions are correct, does anyone have any recommendations for a G gaming adapter which will for sure work with my HD20-700?

Just before I posted this, I searched for wireless G prices and found that some of the adapters seem to be hard to set up and are not that much cheaper and may need firmware upgrades to enable WPA2 w/TKIP+AES algorithms (if at all), so now this may be harder/less feasible than I thought...

Thanks for any and all input.

I believe that Directv sells the WGA600N for $80, which is probably a bit better than you can do elsewhere. Using a router in bridged mode might be less expensive, since they are often on sale. It might take DD-WRT firmware to do this, so you should check at http://www.dd-wrt.com if you plan to go that route in order to pick compatible hardware.

Yup. DirecTV sells that for $80 which led me to start ordering from them until I found the tax and s/h ended up at over $90 which led me back to Amazon at $89.99 w/ free 2 day shipping (Prime membership was great for Christmas!)

We'll see how this works for VOD etc... hopefully very well. The powerline thing didn't work out at all.

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)