Comparing Motors, LNBs, etc

Status
Please reply by conversation.

concord

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Southern North Carolina
I'm interested in getting a motor, it appears that the SG2100 is the cheaper one on most sellers website...however I noticed in a picture that it uses a platic gear. Does anyone know what the HH90 uses? I would assume that a platic gear would wear out more readily than a metal one.

I'm also interested in the Invacom Quad Polar QPH-031 so I can get the standard FTA signals V/H and any circular ones, along with any un-encrypted BEV/DN stuff (music, pentagon channels, etc). Can I connect the outputs of the V/H and circular into a switch then into the FTA receiver?

Finally, I'm torn between the Fortec Merc II and the CaptiveWorks S600 pre. The Fortec sounds like a more solid one and has blind search, however captiveworks looks easier to set up. Any advice?

Thanks.

Finally, I'm torn between the Fortec Merc II and the CaptiveWorks S600 pre. The Fortec sounds like a more solid one and has blind search, however captiveworks looks easier to set up. Any advice?

Thanks.

If those are my only two options, the Merc II would win hands down

The Captiveworks isnt the most "setup friendly". When I got mine, I had some issues setting it up

Sadoun,

Thanks, I saw the video on fortec's website also. Been checking out prices on your website.

Iceberg,

Thanks for the information, this will be my first FTA receiver and thought I'd go for a cheaper one first, may not be the best way. What would you recommend?

The cheapest FTA receiver that is generally recommended in this Forum is the Travis 3500, and the best deal is from a Forum member PSB, at:

http://www.psbsatellite.com

It has blind scan. It's main disadvantage is no AC3 output, but that may not be important for you.

BTW, currently no unencrypted BEV channels. DN has NASA, GolTV and music channels unencrypted, but you can get NASA on any unsubscribed DN receiver and dish, and the music channels with any DN subscription. You can also watcj NASA online at:

http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx

Also, AFAIK the DN music channels do not have artist/title information unless you receive them on a subscribed DN receiver. (Someone correct me if this is wrong.)

So, you then have to your FTA dish pointed to 119 to get that music, during which you cannot use it for FTA TV channels. It seems far easier to get music from Internet Radio channels. There are many free ones at:

http://www.shoutcast.com

So, unless your are using your FTA dish and Invacom Quad for subscription channels on BEV or DN (taking advantage of greater signal strength on the bigger dish), that LNBF doesn't seem worthwhile to me.

I didn't see where you mentioned your dish.
You might want to toss that out for comment, as well.

Shipping for 30, 33, and 36" dishes is about the same.
But bigger ones gets outrageous to ship.
Pricing between these sizes isn't much of a step.
Bigger being better, I think you can see where this is going. :)

When I bought my hardware, I figured the extra $10-20 spent for some better part, way offset having to throw away an "inexpensive" one later, and buy the better one.

ksturat,

thanks for the information, but already pulled the trigger on a Merc II.

Decided against getting the QPH-031 for now, I currently subscribe to DISH+HD but thought it would be great to have some music channels in my office/hobby room while geeking on my computers, maybe there's some music channels on some standard FTA sats.

Like to pick up at least one RTN up north, with their retro shows ,plus re-broadcast of WKBW-TV local news and see all the snow I've been missing :).

The cheapest FTA receiver that is generally recommended in this Forum is the Travis 3500, and the best deal is from a Forum member PSB, at:

http://www.psbsatellite.com

It has blind scan. It's main disadvantage is no AC3 output, but that may not be important for you.

BTW, currently no unencrypted BEV channels. DN has NASA, GolTV and music channels unencrypted, but you can get NASA on any unsubscribed DN receiver and dish, and the music channels with any DN subscription. You can also watcj NASA online at:

http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx

Also, AFAIK the DN music channels do not have artist/title information unless you receive them on a subscribed DN receiver. (Someone correct me if this is wrong.)

Anole,

Thanks for the input, but already submitted order, getting a 31" fortec; hope that will do for the mid-atlantic area. Think I should have gone with the better (SNH031) LNB too, but we'll see...maybe this weekend.

I didn't see where you mentioned your dish.
You might want to toss that out for comment, as well.

Shipping for 30, 33, and 36" dishes is about the same.
But bigger ones gets outrageous to ship.
Pricing between these sizes isn't much of a step.
Bigger being better, I think you can see where this is going. :)

When I bought my hardware, I figured the extra $10-20 spent for some better part, way offset having to throw away an "inexpensive" one later, and buy the better one.

I'm interested in getting a motor, it appears that the SG2100 is the cheaper one on most sellers website...however I noticed in a picture that it uses a platic gear. Does anyone know what the HH90 uses? I would assume that a platic gear would wear out more readily than a metal one.

Actually, the "plastic" gear has been proven to out last metal, and the wear rate is less than metal. The word plastic really doesn't do it justice. The non-technical term is engineering plastic. Also, the plastic gear helps compensate for back lash and keep it to a minimum. You might also read http://www.dmsiusa.com/sg2100.htm. One thing is for certain, SG2100 is time tested. We've been selling it for several years with great success.

Both STAB and DMS SG2100 are proven motors. Just stay away from the clones and you should be okay.

I have had no problems so far with mine. We had a heck of a winter with lots of thick ice, wind, etc. I think Iceberg has had his up for a few years, and it has survived the artic winters they have :)

Thanks for all the help.

Received my package today...after seeing the 31" dish and the weight of the motor, I'm having a second thoughts about mounting it onto my chimney (already have a dish500 and single61.5), even though it's the best spot.

Guess I'll be surveying for another spot. In any case, I would like to camo it, I assume painting is the best way?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)