comparison 622 vs. 722 vs. 722k? (install Oct 31st)

avaddict

Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Hello all!

I need to know exactly what the differences between HD DVR models is (622, 722, 722k) so I'm informed if I have to press an issue.

Background: I used to be a LONG time customer of dish. Got it as soon as the company launched actually. Things change, I got fed up w/ certain dish treatment, comcast got their HD act together and I changed to the triple play about 2 years ago.

I've now moved to a different comcast area and they most definitely do NOT have their HD act together here! 10 HD channels including networks?!? really???

Anyway, I pulled the trigger yesterday and have an install Sun. Being well versed in getting stuck with old equipment, I made sure they send me a 722k.

However, I also know that doesn't guarantee ill get it... I'd really appreciate a run down of specific differences so I can make an argument if I have to.

I did some searching on the forum here but haven't had much luck. Hopefully someone can assist me?

If it matters, I've got an HDTV in the living room where the receiver will be. SD TV in the upstairs bedroom run off TV2. N-wireless but no wired ethernet at receiver location without trouble.

622 and 722 the same except 722 has larger hard drive and is black. 622, silver. Both have one built in OTA tuner.

722K can take an optional OTA module that allows for two simultaneous OTA recordings plus two sats. K uses new 21.0 learning remote that can back up timers. K has a couple more minor features.

thanks for the quick reply!
black is better although I wouldn't freak over that alone.

bigger hard drive is definitely important. (I was told I might get a 622 based on what inventory was available)
OTA tuner not an issue for the foreseeable future. but worth noting.

Could I trouble you for a description of the extra minor 722K features?

thanks for the quick reply!
black is better although I wouldn't freak over that alone.

bigger hard drive is definitely important. (I was told I might get a 622 based on what inventory was available)
OTA tuner not an issue for the foreseeable future. but worth noting.

Could I trouble you for a description of the extra minor 722K features?

The back up timers in the remote is the BEST reason to get the K. That way if system goes bad which happens due to HDD's going bad. It will allow you to transfer the timers to new unit that you have saved from old unit. That can save you hrs of time. Trust me on the timers issue. I had a 622 that E* replaced because it was one build that had some real problems. It took a long time to put in the timers by hand. When I went from the 622 to the 722k it took a long to time to do it as well My bro that started out w/ a 722k was able to save his timers and was able to change his out faster because of this when his went bad due to electric company. Getting the OTA module will allow you to record 4 things at one time instead of only 3. As far as the finer features the one I can tell you off hand is that on the K there is a reset button behind the right front panel that makes it much easier to reboot than having to unplug the unit. One has to do this occasionally as let's face it "it's a computer". It runs on Linux but sometimes it needs a reboot and turning the power button off doesn't do that.

The back up timers in the remote is the BEST reason to get the K. That way if system goes bad which happens due to HDD's going bad. It will allow you to transfer the timers to new unit that you have saved from old unit. That can save you hrs of time. Trust me on the timers issue. I had a 622 that E* replaced because it was one build that had some real problems. It took a long time to put in the timers by hand. When I went from the 622 to the 722k it took a long to time to do it as well My bro that started out w/ a 722k was able to save his timers and was able to change his out faster because of this when his went bad due to electric company. Getting the OTA module will allow you to record 4 things at one time instead of only 3. As far as the finer features the one I can tell you off hand is that on the K there is a reset button behind the right front panel that makes it much easier to reboot than having to unplug the unit. One has to do this occasionally as let's face it "it's a computer". It runs on Linux but sometimes it needs a reboot and turning the power button off doesn't do that.

I would like to believe that it might be possible someday to transfer timers through DishOnline from one DVR to another.Maybe that's too much to hope for?.;)

thanks for the advice everyone!

OK, I understand the timer backup option now. Definitely a good thing. Didn't realize it actually stored it IN the remote

These are exactly the kind of things I wanted to know in case the installer brings a 622 or 722 and I need to argue why I want the latest 722k instead. Dish rep assured me I would get a 722k, so I WILL argue the point if that's not what's brought out.

Don't argue, just refuse to sign the work order until you get what you ordered. I might be wrong on this point, but I think the 722K has no S-Video out connection, if that means anything to you.
Dan

At my warehouse we havent had 722's or 722k's in over a month. So whenever a customer asks me for a 722k I say sorry. Not one of them has turned me down. So u might get a stuck with a 622 for a little while.

Check the equipment first

Verify the equipment the installer brings when he/she first shows up. Make sure you see the 722k before you let them start doing any work. If they didn't bring the 722k, send them on their merry way until they can show up with the right equipment. The OTA module doesn't come with the 722k, you have to specifically order it separately.

Verify the equipment the installer brings when he/she first shows up. Make sure you see the 722k before you let them start doing any work. If they didn't bring the 722k, send them on their merry way until they can show up with the right equipment. The OTA module doesn't come with the 722k, you have to specifically order it separately.
can't do that...The custy gets what the warehouse has. Remember, Dish lists the work order for HD DVR as 622/722k...Menaing, the tech could have 622's only because that is what is available. A customer can refuse an install if they feel strongly enough about the issue. The tech is required to put the custy on the phone with the Retentoion Dept. The custy can reschedule, in this case the install could be weeks out. Or the custy could cancel the deal altogether. In which case Dish will require the custy to go through the procedure of credit check and sign up again.
Either way, it's a hassle most customers would like to avoid.

Mine has VIP 722K DVR on left front panel and look for red reset button behind front right panel. Would someone explain to a dummy what timers the remote saves,as I am really lost on this point.

I most strongly agree with this. Don't count on any promises of an exchange later.

Way back, when rocks were soft, Dish offered a deal on my first DVR. It was, IIRC, $99 for a 501 or 508. I took them up on it. And told them ONLY if it was a 508. I met the truck, saw a 508, ensured it was for me, and took it into the house before I let him do anything else. Beat my old 301s hands down.

A note to the guy who said dont sign the paper work, the tech will sign it for you before he gets back to the shop. dish has handwriting rec software but i dont think they use it. I have seen lots of guy sign papaerwork. Also the 722K is loaded with software for a 1000.4 dish if he uses a standard 722 and you live in a 1000.4 dma it wont work

K&B,are the automatic recordings also stored in the receiver? I couldn't find anything about this in my know all book that came with it. I learn more interesting things about my Dish system from this board and always reminds how much I don't know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts