Complete newbie needs help with installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dangerpl1

Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Hi, I just got a dish and a receiver from my uncle, as he moved and doesn't need it anymore so I'd like to try it for now. I don't know anything about setting it all up. I positioned the dish exactly to the specifications however I don't get any signal. It's Dish 500 with one receiver, on one TV. Any help? Please?

Is your uncle still paying for the service? Did he own the equipment or was he leasing it from Dish? Did he have any balance due for pay-for-view movies?

All of these questions come into play. You are better off going to Dish as a new customer (without even mentioning your uncle). That way you can get the best deals from Dish--and they all include installation.

Yes, it's paid for until the end of the year. He's not using it because he moved to Europe. I am going to purchase the new system but I just want to try it first.

What is your zip code? You'll need that to know where to point the dish. Then run one coax line without any breaks from the receiver to the dish... The satellite receiver pushs voltage to the dish LNB, make sure you have voltage to the LNB... if not... it won't work. Go into "menu" 6...1... 1... and put the receiver on 119 sat and transponder 11 and move the dish and watch for signal or have a helper watch for signal while somebody moves the dish... move it slowly...

Hi, I just got a dish and a receiver from my uncle, as he moved and doesn't need it anymore so I'd like to try it for now. I don't know anything about setting it all up. I positioned the dish exactly to the specifications however I don't get any signal. It's Dish 500 with one receiver, on one TV. Any help? Please?

Which model receiver is it? You might be better off going as a new customer.

But if you want to learn about satellite, playing around with your Uncle's old system and asking questions here is the best way to do it.

I know I enjoyed learning about satellite systems that way (just the basics as much of the stuff on this board is way over my head)...

I set the dish exactly to the specifications... I have a 301 receiver... But i don't get any signal... I've been trying to move the dish, but still no signal at all... Any other things I should look at? I just bought a new cable so that's not a problem.

I set the dish exactly to the specifications... I have a 301 receiver... But i don't get any signal... I've been trying to move the dish, but still no signal at all... Any other things I should look at? I just bought a new cable so that's not a problem.

What did you use for elevation and skew settings?

What's your zip?

Have you checked to see if you are getting voltage to the LNB? One guy I used to work with use his tongue to check... yes, you get a shock... a small shock... it will be either 13 or 18 volts...

If you have a meter you can check the voltage...

What else could be the problem? I still get no signal at all... In Point Dish I have 0 signal and it says: Not locked... In Check Switch I have Conn Conn

What else could be the problem? I still get no signal at all... In Point Dish I have 0 signal and it says: Not locked... In Check Switch I have Conn Conn

Are you saying yes the mast is plumb/level and yes power is getting to the lnb? If so, most like it's just an issue of finding the birds. You can try covering the 110 side of the lnb to make sure you are using 119.

Do you have someone watching the point dish screen while you make adjustments to the dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)