Complicated Hopper question...

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I haven't been on here in awhile but I bought a new 4k and wanted to maybe add the Hoppper. I currently have a 722k and a couple 211k's. I also have the E arc dish and the dpp 44 switch. My question is...I wanted to replace just the 722 or maybe just add the hopper for my new Sony 4k but I didn't want to change any of the other TV's in the house. Can I just buy a Hopper on Ebay and just add it to my account? Does it need any special wiring or switches other than what I already have? will Dish allow me to just add the Hopper without a joey? I've been with Dish for over 10 years and know the equipment pretty good , I just haven't thought about the Hopper till know. Have they got the bugs worked out out? does it have OTA yet? I would like to use a powered HDMI splitter to send a line to my bedroom. is the remote UHF? I know these are a lot of??? but I'm not on contract and really don't want to have a tech do what I can do... and commit to 24 months.

No if you upgrade to the Hopper system all you other equipment in the house must be Hopper / Joey equipment as DISH does not allow for a mixture of Hopper and ViP equipment on an account. (Only exception is a 211 receiver for use with a Tailgater or Pathway X2.)

No if you upgrade to the Hopper system all you other equipment in the house must be Hopper / Joey equipment as DISH does not allow for a mixture of Hopper and ViP equipment on an account. (Only exception is a 211 receiver for use with a Tailgater or Pathway X2.)
Thanks, they don't make it easy do they

That's because the switching technology is changed for the Hopper and uses a device called a node which is different then a switch. :D

That's because the switching technology is changed for the Hopper and uses a device called a node which is different then a switch. :D

My problem is that with the 722 coax out, I can send a signal to all my other tv's "5" around the house and garage and use the same remote, I don't want to add 6-7 joeys...

I was thinking about using this "Dynex™ - RF Modulator" to take the rca out from the hoppper and then splitting to the other tv's. But I would want to split the HDMI using a powered splitter to my other HD tv in my bedroom. Do you think that would work. If it would I would just upgrade to the Hopper and just 2 joeys for my kids rooms, the rest are just for me as I move around the house

No. The Hopper is designed to be a whole home solution. I think you can put 2 hoppers on the system and have them isolated from one another. IOW, you could have a hopper and a joey for the kids, and a hopper and a number of joeys for the rest of the house.

Can my kids joeys be isolated from my hopper to keep them from my shows and vice versa
What do you mean by "my shows" ? DVR recordings, channel lists, etc ? You can block channels on the Joey only. You can apply parental controls to prevent "my shows" from being playable on the Joey (based on their ratings).

I guess I mean not being able to have control over timers and maybe the ability to delete and or skip something because of the tuner limit.

The Hopper Zone...yea

It has been awhile since I last posted, didn't realize there is a Hopper Zone/ Anyway , I have decided that what I need is 2 hoppers and 1 joey to fit my household. I'm not under contract and was wondering if that set up is possible as a free upgrade? I did order a hopper and 2 joeys today and the Dish rep waived all the fees for that set up, I called back and cancelled that order after my other post today...should have come here first. Would they still waive the fees on 2 hoppers and a joey?

It has been awhile since I last posted, didn't realize there is a Hopper Zone/ Anyway , I have decided that what I need is 2 hoppers and 1 joey to fit my household. I'm not under contract and was wondering if that set up is possible as a free upgrade? I did order a hopper and 2 joeys today and the Dish rep waived all the fees for that set up, I called back and cancelled that order after my other post today...should have come here first. Would they still waive the fees on 2 hoppers and a joey?
The second Hopper would not be free. You should contact DIRT to see what your pricing would be. Go to the Hopper Upgrades Sticky at top of Hopper Zone page.

And they'll expect a two year contract with the leased equipment. But the tech will have to deal with wiring and any problems that may develop.

You can certainly keep at least one ViP211 and that could be for the kids and them not have access to your Hopper. It can be set up as a DVR.

Not sure if more than one ViP211 series receiver is allowed on a Hopper account. I'd suggest nailing that down before ordering. You might decide one Hopper and two ViP211 series boxes would be best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

You must OWN that VIP 211 to have it on the same account as the Hopper/Joey solution, it can't be leased....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)