Component Cable Quality for HD Receiver

r8d

Original poster
Jun 3, 2005
I got Dish less than a month ago with a HD Receiver. It came with component cables that look pretty sturdy. I was wondering if the cables it comes with are high quality or not. I don't have anything to compare them to so I don't know if my picture is suffering or not. I would like to get the best HD PQ so I can be a show-off and the envy of my friends, but I don't feel like spending $75+ for "quality" cables if I'm not going to see a difference.

Also, anyone see a picture improvement using DVI instead of component? I have a DVI cable too, but it came with my $150 DVD player, so I assume it may be low quality.

Any help is appreciated.

I have found that component cables can vary in quality of signal that passes through them. I don't use component any more but the ones that came with my 811 were just as good as ones I bought for my DVD player.
Don't buy monster cables if you are going to go buy a new set they are over priced and are about an 80% markup for retailers.
As for Dvi you can pick up a cable for a low as $10 and you will see no difference in quality from one that you would pay $100 for.
You will be they only one that can decided which cable is best for you by making a visual comparison of how each looks on your tv.

The component cable that came with the Dish receiver is fine. The DVI cable that came with your DVD player is probably fine, as well. If your TV is LCD, DLP, or Plasma, it MAY look better using a DVI cable. If it is a standard CRT, either direct view or rear proj, component may be better.

I use nothing but Monster Cable myself, throughout the years I found that their quality is hard to beat. Any cable has a huge mark-up for the retailer, I use to work in retail during high school/college at three chains and cables was the big "money maker".

My main reason for using Monster is that I have seen a difference from cheaper cables, I've had cables with not the best shielding that picked up some slight interfence and have had cables go bad with some handling due to poor construction.

Buy the best you can afford; Belkin just came out with a Pure AV line that look good and is cheaper than Monster.

Oh and on the cable prices, retailers could make 300% profit from name brands to 800% for off brands. Only issue if a cable is returned it is thrown away, the price they pay reflect that a certain percentage will be bad - atleast for the places I worked for. I can't tell you how many off brand cables I would have to throw away (cutting in half to prevent scavengers), but never once had a Monster Cable returned as bad in the 6 years I did retail; I guess that is why still today I go with Monster.

I've seen plenty of Monster cables go bad. (At a previous job. I would have never bought the "Emperor's New Cables, myself.) As a person with almost 30 years experience in audio, and now multimedia, I can honestly say, and without any doubt in my mind, that Monster Cable, and brands of that ilk, are a complete waste of money.
But, that's me.

No cables are guaranteed perfect.

Monster cables are generally very good.
It's their prices that are generally very high.

Do you need to buy Monster for high-quality cables? No.
Will you go wrong if you do? No, although your wallet may disagree.

If you're looking for different component cables (or any cables for that matter) there are certainly cheaper way to go than Monster. Acoustic Research is very good and much more reasonably priced. You could also check out PacificCables.com for some lengths that are harder to find but still priced nicely.

I heard about Blue Jeans Cables a few years ago on AVS Forum. It was started by an individual who got tired of being ripped off by unscrupulous cable suppliers. I have been purchasing cables from them for a number of years and have been totally satisfied.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/

I went to Best Buy for an optical cable and the guy lead me straight to the Monster cable for $45 and we round and round for 10 minutes as I told him I will not support the outrageous markup on Monster products. I refuse to buy them and ended up with an A&R cable for $17.

BCH said:
I heard about Blue Jeans Cables a few years ago on AVS Forum. It was started by an individual who got tired of being ripped off by unscrupulous cable suppliers. I have been purchasing cables from them for a number of years and have been totally satisfied.

Yes, I buy all my cables for blueJeans as well. They're the best! Fast shipping and professional quality cables at reasonable prices. :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)