component output anamoly

toto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
I have had (purchased or under warranty purchased) 7 or 8 622s since Febuary of the year they were released. I have had this issue on most of the units hooked up to my CRT RP HD ready set. After one of Dish's upgrades over a year ago, my HDMI/DVI cable has no longer worked. As it is an analog TV that isn't an issue for me. The problem has been the loss of component out. When it happens, it has always been the day after turning off the 622, while using the OTA tuner. In every case, but one I've restored the component via a soft or hard reboot. That exception was Tuesday. Monday I lost component out audio worked fine, composit worke fine reset didn't work. Tuesday same situation, also tried other inputs on tv and different cables. Called tech support, first person after a little time on phone, asked me to wait a moment, I hung up 5 minutes later. Second person went through all the checks again asked me to wait a moment, 5 minutes later I hung up. Third person and I'm steaming, (American for the first time) we go through the whole routine again, I explain my issue with this being the 4th unit since March (others died) and I was getting fed up with refurbs. He stated a service call was necessary. Cancelled this morning---component has worked without an changes in hookup for 2 days. Any ideas?:D

7 or 8 units? Wow, sure sounds like you have a problem somewhere in your system. Especially since you are describing a component problem as well. I don't recall ever reading that kind of problem here. Have you tried other cables and another display to eliminate either the rptv or the cables as the suspect?

I'd say if you have gone through 7 or 8 622s, something is definitely wrong with your power or cabling.

I was an English/History major and can't spell "anomaly" . Old age is setting in.:D None of the units has been sent in because of output issues, which has occured often enough, to cause me concern. It still could be a TV input issue, but it only occurs when the receiver was on its OTA tuner before being turned off. The death issue--- I gave my wife my 622 when I got her a 1080p set which is hooked up with HDMI in November 2006 with a unit I'd purchased in February 2006. I purchased a second 622 in late November 2006. That unit's hard drive failed in less than 3 weeks. Fast forward to March of this year (3 and counting all failures have been harddrive related). Between March and June of this year my wife's 622 was replaced 4 times! with refurbished 622s. The last time I moved the replacement unit to my TV and my unit (December 2006) to her TV. That makes 7 (there may have been another issue in early 2006 but not sure). The 3 units on my analog TV all had the same experience with component out, that over 2 1/2 years has occured at least 6 times, but only once for more than the time it took to reset. On only one other occasion did I call and the fellow on the other end said he woul "hit" my receiver. 5 minutes later, it was working.:D