Component to composite video conversion.

A_Noland

SatelliteGuys Regular
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
437
6
Owasso, OK
Since the 921 doesn't do both HD/SD output, does anyone no if you can buy an converter that would ouput S-Video or Composite video from a 1080i component source? I have searched the net and found a PAL device available in the UK, but didn't find anything in the US yet?

Any ideas?
 

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
16,319
8,566
Michiana
We had to buy a device at work like that recently, but it was very pricey. You have to digitize the incoming video at 30+MHz, write it to a 1920x1080 frame buffer, scale it to NTSC resolutions, then output that to s-video/composite.

Unfortunately, the people that bought it are on Christmas vacation unitl after the new year, so you'll probably find something before I can reply.
 

volfan615

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
89
0
A_Noland said:
Since the 921 doesn't do both HD/SD output, does anyone no if you can buy an converter that would ouput S-Video or Composite video from a 1080i component source? I have searched the net and found a PAL device available in the UK, but didn't find anything in the US yet?

Any ideas?

Why would you want to do this? I assume you will get the 921 because you have a HD set. Doesn't it have a component input? :?:
 

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,693
0
EKB Annex
The 921 itself will down-convert HD for the SD outputs. What it won't do is have the SD outs (RF, composite, S-video) active at the same time as the HD outs (component, DVI).
 

gredneck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 25, 2003
154
0
BobaBird said:
The 921 itself will down-convert HD for the SD outputs. What it won't do is have the SD outs (RF, composite, S-video) active at the same time as the HD outs (component, DVI).

so let me get this straight:
I am planning to replace my receiver that services 2 tv's with the 921

If I use the component connections to my widescreen and then use the
regular coax connection to my other tv this won't work?

the 2 tv's are never used at the same time.

does the 921 know which tv is on?

on occasion I like to watch tv in my bedroom, so I share the receiver with my hometheater tv.

this is going to be one of the major deciding factors, since i already have
4 receivers in the house and do not want to add another receiver (I know that the 921 has 2 receivers so I would be adding another receiver theoretically)

on the other hand If anybody knows of someone that can add component outputs to a jvc dsr-hm100 I'll pass on the 921.
 

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
786
12
Huntington, Long Island, NY
A_Noland said:
Since the 921 doesn't do both HD/SD output, does anyone no if you can buy an converter that would ouput S-Video or Composite video from a 1080i component source? I have searched the net and found a PAL device available in the UK, but didn't find anything in the US yet?

Any ideas?

I'd like to do the same thing with my 921. I currently use my 508 to send it's picture throughout my house. When the 921 comes it would be great to have a way to display both the HD component and SD s-video signals simultaneously (A feature that the 921 can't do on it's own). My HDTV doesn't use DVI and since it's been reported that the DVI and Component outputs ARE active at the same time, I thought this could be achieved somehow. I've found a DVI to VGA converter http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=400637/ut=182e5f24850f698a and thought if I connected it to a VGA to s-video converter http://www.smarthome.com/7743.html it might work. Can anyone verify if this set-up world work for us?
 

BobaBird

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
1,693
0
EKB Annex
gredneck said:
I am planning to replace my receiver that services 2 tv's with the 921

If I use the component connections to my widescreen and then use the
regular coax connection to my other tv this won't work?

the 2 tv's are never used at the same time.
You don't have an issue until someone has to spend the night on the couch.
does the 921 know which tv is on?
No, you use the remote to select which set of outputs is active.

The 921 should be a good fit for your current usage.
 

gredneck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 25, 2003
154
0
thanks for the reply.

that's great! :beer:

i'll just have to disconnect the cable on couch night/week/month :D
 

A_Noland

SatelliteGuys Regular
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
437
6
Owasso, OK
volfan615. Yes, I have an HD Monitor with Component inputs, but I have 3 other TV's that I would like to push to at the same times. I'm currently pushing my 721 to 3 TV's using a channel plus Dual input Stereo Modulator. I would like to send the 921's output the same way at the same time as watching the HD version on my HD TV.
 

kt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 12, 2003
21
0
DVDDAD said:
I'd like to do the same thing with my 921. I currently use my 508 to send it's picture throughout my house. When the 921 comes it would be great to have a way to display both the HD component and SD s-video signals simultaneously (A feature that the 921 can't do on it's own). My HDTV doesn't use DVI and since it's been reported that the DVI and Component outputs ARE active at the same time, I thought this could be achieved somehow. I've found a DVI to VGA converter http://pcworld.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=400637/ut=182e5f24850f698a and thought if I connected it to a VGA to s-video converter http://www.smarthome.com/7743.html it might work. Can anyone verify if this set-up world work for us?

I do not believe that this converter will work with a 1080i or 720p signal. 1080i is 1920x1080@60Hz interlaced. 720p is 1280x720@60Hz. And the converter maxes out at 1024x768@60Hz resolution. Also, 1080i and 720p formats are 16:9, whereas computer resolutions are 4:3. Now 480p can be 640x480@60Hz in a 4:3 aspect ratio. So, if the 921 is set to outut a 4:3 signal, the converter *may work* at 480p. This would be using the DVI-I port on the 921, with the DVI-RGB adapter you describe. However, I believe that most of us are interested in downconverting 1080i or 720p to 480i. And I have not seen a cost effective solution for this. IMO, the bet is to pick up a second receiver (301, 501, etc.) to feed the other TVs.
 

A_Noland

SatelliteGuys Regular
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
437
6
Owasso, OK
IMO, the bet is to pick up a second receiver (301, 501, etc.) to feed the other TVs.

I have a 721 also to feed live programming, but I'm talking about recorded HD content and content from HD-Net that won't be available on a SD only receiver.
 

kt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 12, 2003
21
0
A_Noland said:
I have a 721 also to feed live programming, but I'm talking about recorded HD content and content from HD-Net that won't be available on a SD only receiver.

That is what I would ideally like to do as well at a reasonable cost. (<$300)

I just ran across a 1T-PC1280HD converter for $395. The specifications seem to indicate that it can convert HDTV to PC resolutions. Perhaphs, this device coupled with the SmartHome PC-SVideo converter, and an RF modulator may do the job. Hopefully, this device can convert 16:9 to 4:3 as well.

http://www.tvone.com/1t-pchdtv.shtml
http://www.tvone.com/upconpage.shtml



This solution is still a bit on the high side as far as cost goes ($500-$600), but is not in the $4k-$20k range of other devices I had found a couple of months earlier.

Hope this helps.
 

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
786
12
Huntington, Long Island, NY
kt,

This looks like it might do the trick. But wouldn't I need to split the component signal from 921, as my TV doesn't have a DVI input? Is it possible to split the Component signals with just a good quality RCA Y-connector without degrading the signal too much? Or is there some other device that I should use to split the component video signal? Or does this device accept a DVI imput?
 

kt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 12, 2003
21
0
I believe that a ~$10 DVI-RGB/VGA adapter, and/or a cable with the right pinouts should do the trick, as the 921 has a DVI-I port. This assumes that the 1T-PC1280HD can accept composite sync on green. Many RGBHV devices should.

Or you could also try splitting the component signal. I am not sure how much signal degradation would occur with this route.

What also needs to be confirmed is whether the 1T-PC1280HD can convert 16:9 1080i signals to 4:3 PC signals. Also, the final signal quality when the 921 output is run through 2 or 3 different converters needs to be confirmed.
 

Boma

Member
Sep 7, 2003
11
0
I have split component outputs w/ (3) male to dual female adapters.
Using good RG6 w/ F-connector to RCA connectors. 35 foot runs to 2nd HDTV. Picture not degraded. Run both TVs at the same time.
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top