Component to HDMI switch

freebird581bd

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2008
I just made the component to HDMI switch the other day on my 622. It seems to me that the component cables were clearer. Is this just a setting issue on the TV or is it something else. Thanks for any help.

It seems to vary from TV to TV, just go with what looks better to you and no there should be no adjustments going from one to the other for ur TV! You might want to tweak ur settings, contrast, brightness and such to see if it helps! I could not see a difference really when I made the swap to HDMI, but it's less wires and it is a digital connection! One thought though, if you had changed ur default setting with the picture using component, when u install and use another input selection such as HDMI it will revert to the default setting of ur TV for that input! Might set ur setting on ur HDMI input to mirror that of ur component settings!

I have noticed occasionally during installs (especially on 1080p televisions) that Component cable sometimes give a "softer" image. Many people prefer a softer image due to the fact that the sharper image that is sometimes achieved with HDMI can make compression artifacts more obvious. If this is the quality you are talking about you can soften the image back down by setting the Sharpness setting on your TV down a little lower.

Can you confirm what kind of signal is being watched over both cables, what your resolution is set to, and what your tv is capable of receiving? There are several factors that could be involved.

Also:

On some equipment, HDMI as a digital image is limited to an 8 bit signal with no wtw and no btb in the signal. The component being analog can be a 10 bit and probably has the wtw and btb as well. It depends on the entire chain of equipment and their capabilities.

8bit you totally lost me. I am kinda of new to all this. If you could explain a little more I will be happy to provide the info. As for now I will tweek and try the other things people said.

Thanks for the help.

Were you watching an SD or HD channel?
Is your 622 set to output 480i, 720p, or 1080i?
Is your tv SD or HD and if it's HD, is it 720p, 1080i, or 1080p and what kind is it? CRT, Rear Projection crt, lcd, or dlp, or is a flat panel?

ok 8 bit I kinda got you now.

The 622 is set to 720p. As well the tv is 720p 42 inch plasma.

Watching HD channels. It just seems that when I made the switch the picture became slightly lighter and not quite as crisp.

Thanks

Well I definatley see a difference between HDMI and Component on my TV but thats just me. I believe it comes down to what each person thinks looks better

When switching inputs on an HDTV, the new input must be retuned.

Each input is independent of the others and except for brightness, contrast and sharpness controls, do not carry over to other inputs.

When you have your set professionally calibrated, each input is seperate and additional inputs cost extra, because the settings must be redone for each one.

ok 8 bit I kinda got you now.

The 622 is set to 720p. As well the tv is 720p 42 inch plasma.

Watching HD channels. It just seems that when I made the switch the picture became slightly lighter and not quite as crisp.

Thanks
As was mentioned, you will need to calibrate your HDMI connection. Also, try setting the 622 to send 1080i through the HDMI. I know your tv is 720p but it will rescale the signal instead of the 622. See what you think.

I will try the switch to 1080i and to calibrate it. I assume to calibrate you mean to adjust the contrast, brightness etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)