Component video through a receiver??

stevesc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Goose Creek, SC
I bought a new A\V Receiver yesterday in preparation for my Voom install today. The salesman said that there will be some signal loss if I route the component video cables through the receiver. I find that rather difficult to believe. Does anyone know if it is true or not? If it matters, the receiver is a Pioneer VSX-811S and I don't have a DVI input on my TV.
Thanks.

This is definitely true. Feeding video directly to the tv is always the best option to avoid any sort of signal loss. You can however, use a power isolator with your system. It will eliminate most, if not all interference issues. I recommend buying a Monster power center. You can get a very nice one for $400 that would do the trick.

Seth

While I agree that going "straight in" is best, if you use quality cables, and have a quality rcvr, you won't "see" any loss at all...with or without a $400 powercenter.

I've run both ways on my setup, and can't see a difference...and neither has anyone else that's looked at it.

Lob

There should be some specs on the bandwidth capabilities for your recievers component switching. I would hope most modern ones can handle it without/little loss of signal quality.

stevesc said:
I bought a new A\V Receiver yesterday in preparation for my Voom install today. The salesman said that there will be some signal loss if I route the component video cables through the receiver. I find that rather difficult to believe. Does anyone know if it is true or not? If it matters, the receiver is a Pioneer VSX-811S and I don't have a DVI input on my TV.
Thanks.

You bought a very good receiver and should have no problem with signal loss. Based on this receiver, you should not see a difference between direct input and routing through your receiver (because of the quality of the receiver). I run my system through a Component Switcher (I need four component inputs), and then into the A/V Receiver, and even with this extra step, there is no noticable signal loss. I think you'll really enjoy your new receiver with Voom!

I agree with keno as long as the receiver has component inputs with HD PASS
(80 MHz) you will be able to pass the hd siginal with no signal loss.so enjoy VOOM and all it has to offer!!!!!!

My Meridian 861 handles 3 component inputs and it does so with out signal loss as they are designed for broadcast quality

therefore if your receiver has component switching chances are it was designed without signal loss.

Bill

Because I really don't know....

Hey gang,

What is the advantage of running your component vide thru the receiver?

Cheers,

James

gross67 said:
Hey gang,

What is the advantage of running your component vide thru the receiver?

Cheers,

James

As opposed to direct input? Switching from Dish to Voom to DVD to PlayStation to Laser Disc. Four component in (Voom, Dish, DVD, PlayStation) and one component out to projector. Also, on my A/V receiver, any S-Video-In will be upscaled to Component Out. I have a Laser Disc Player that uses S-Video.

The advantage for me is since I have 4 devices that require component input. TV's have only 1 or 2 inputs. So if you have a receiver that can handle the component switching then 1. you only have one set of component connections to your TV 2. You can use 1 remote to control which component source is being viewed, otherwise you have to use your tv remote to switch between componet 1 and component 2.

Bill

Ahhhhhhh

Thanks,

I'm begining to see the picture now ......... I'm learning a great deal from this forum and others - calibration, removing anti-glare screens, and component video thru the receiver - just to name a few .......

Cheers,
James

I have my DVD Player, my XBox, and my GameCube going through my receiver through the component inputs, an Integra 9.1 Receiver (a high end A/V receiver) and the picture is just as good as a direct connection for me.

I had to order the Nintendo component cable through the internet if you're curious, as they don't sell it in stores.

I have had the install done. Everything is awesome and there is no noticable difference between direct connection and using the receiver. So now I have one less remote to deal with.

I can't believe how good the OTA channels are!

Heh, you should see my switching setup since my receiver doesn't support Component :). I've got a Geffen 4x1 DVI switch, a no-name 4x2 component switch, and an Inday 4x1 digital audio switch. The only benefit is that I can remote control them all, so I program my remote to do macros every time I switch inputs. My wiring diagram is insane :)

-MP

My Yamaha receiver is now 3 years old and was one of the first on the market to have a Component switcher built in, it has 2 inputs and is rated at only 29 MHZ. According to the "Gurus of HDTV Component switching", you need something like 60 MHZ. This is nothing but pure BS. I have compared my picture quality going direct vs going through my Yamaha and their is absolutely ZERO picture degradation.

When Outlaw Audio created their latest and greatest preamp, they did some signal testing with HD and found that anything above 60 MHZ can actually introduce signal noise. I think they decided on something like 45 MHZ for their gear.

Now that I have more devices than inputs I just ordered the Audio Authority 1154 4 component switcher. It's a cool box, it learns your habits and you can prioritize the inputs. It will also pass digital audio, composite video and analog audio and comes with a remote control. I just got it yesterday and will be hooking it up this weekend.

DarrellP said:
.... I just ordered the Audio Authority 1154 4 component switcher. It's a cool box, it learns your habits and you can prioritize the inputs. It will also pass digital audio, composite video and analog audio and comes with a remote control....
I have a YAMAHA Receiver also. The RX-V1200... Its Component Video Terminals are rated at 60hz. I also have the Audio Authority 1154, but it doesnt come with a remote. Do you have a picture of your remote? Because although this unit does a great job of passing the HDTV signal, it sucks to have to get up everytime to press the damn button.

tattootearz said:
I have a YAMAHA Receiver also. The RX-V1200... Its Component Video Terminals are rated at 60hz. I also have the Audio Authority 1154, but it doesnt come with a remote. Do you have a picture of your remote? Because although this unit does a great job of passing the HDTV signal, it sucks to have to get up everytime to press the damn button.
My bad, I've been looking at so many switches with remotes but this unit does NOT have one, sorry. It does have auto sensing and prioritizing of input though. Bummer, I thought it had a remote, I guess I'll have to remember to turn the units off that I'm not watching. Not a big deal, I'll probably give the Dish 6000 priority 1, followed by DVD then DVHS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts