Status
Please reply by conversation.

drboyddrboyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
US
...being, of course, me.

OK, I should be all set. I've got real live Leviton RG-6 quad shield cable (I physically counted the shields, I've got a stripping tool, a compression tool, and Perfect Vision / Ridgeloc 360 connectors - the green ones for quad core.

I've read like nine sets of instructions, and I've got the stripping tool set to 1/4" plus 1/4", per the manufacturer's instructions.

I fold both the braids back over the insulation very carefully and I think, "I'm good to go!"

However, what happens is that when I compress it, the RG-6 just gets pushed back out the end and the fitting falls off.

I've only got 50 fittings, and with my limited brainpower I don't think that 50 is enough to figure this out by random trial and error.

What am I missing here?:confused::(

How long are you leaving the braids? I cut mine to about 1/8" and fold 'em back. And yeah, a picture would almost certainly get you the right answer quickly!

...being, of course, me.

OK, I should be all set. I've got real live Leviton RG-6 quad shield cable (I physically counted the shields, I've got a stripping tool, a compression tool, and Perfect Vision / Ridgeloc 360 connectors - the green ones for quad core.

I've read like nine sets of instructions, and I've got the stripping tool set to 1/4" plus 1/4", per the manufacturer's instructions.

I fold both the braids back over the insulation very carefully and I think, "I'm good to go!"

However, what happens is that when I compress it, the RG-6 just gets pushed back out the end and the fitting falls off.

I've only got 50 fittings, and with my limited brainpower I don't think that 50 is enough to figure this out by random trial and error.

What am I missing here?:confused::(

DrBoyd,

I may be missing something but, why are you folding the braids back over the insulation? I don't do this.

I strip the end of the cable as instructed, and then I flare the inner shield just enough to get the connector to slide into it and then I manually (by hand) twist the connector all the way onto the end of the cable until the dielectic core stops at the ridge where the screw-on fitting takes over. The center conductor should then protrude about 1/16 to 1/8 inch past the lip of the screw on outer shell at this point (if your stripper was set correctly). Then I use the crimper to compress the connector onto the cable.

Folding the shields back over the insulation is not what I do. With quad shield cable, that makes the outer diameter of the cable huge! Quad shield cable is fat enough as it is.

Take a look at the center core of the connector and you will see a thin cylinder of metal, like a tube. That portion should slide over the "whitish" dielectric insulator core and between that core and the inner layer of shielding. The shielding should not be "splayed" backwards over the top of the cable's insulation. The cable's insulation is what makes part of the seal to deter moisture entry. With the shield and braid splayed back, it may not and probably won't seal properly.

RADAR

These pictures pretty much show what Radar described, above.

edit:
And here's a Digicon installation PDF. Maybe it'l help
For Quad shield cable, pull back the outer layer of braid,
remove the outer layer of foil,
then pull back the innner layer of braid.
Leave the inner layer of foil around the dielectric.

Last edited:
Aha!

Rumors on the internets reveal that the fitting screws on to the end of the cable, and then compresses! AcWxRadar wins 10,000 double secret bonus points for his use of the word "twist!"

Mfg's literature attached.

I'll try it as soon as I get home and report back to y'all.

Attachments

• Ridgeloc_StepByStep_English.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Aha!

Rumors on the internets reveal that the fitting screws on to the end of the cable, and then compresses! AcWxRadar wins 10,000 double secret bonus points for his use of the word "twist!"

Mfg's literature attached.

I'll try it as soon as I get home and report back to y'all.

OHO!

Twist then Compress - never come across that

When you're using cable with plenty of shielding, sometimes you really have to use some elbow grease to get the fitting completely on. Also, I've found that certain manufacturers' fittings work better on certain manufacturers' cables. The PPC EX6 fittings work well on nearly everything.

Well, I'm home, I tried it, and "twist and compress" is definitely the answer.

And the twistin' ain't easy. If these things stay on as hard as they are to get on, the cable will break before the connectors come off.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)