Computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh don't be offended, it was not my intent, I do not think you an idiot, I am just a little passionate about my line of work and can be obstinate. :)

Apologies.

Not offended. By the way what do you do for a living?

Ok guys please be nice. This girl is a friend of my wifes that talks so much bs. She dropped out of collage year 1 but tries to impress everyone.

Ok guys please be nice. This girl is a friend of my wifes that talks so much bs. She dropped out of collage year 1 but tries to impress everyone.

Were fine. Just a couple of guys with the same passion with different ways to express it.

Not offended. By the way what do you do for a living?

Well business card says "Network Administrator/M.I.S", but they just call me 'the computer guy'. Started out as a repair/tech back when it made sense to repair the computer (before integrated motherboards), did a run with a small ISP, which I found to be very demanding, so kind of drifted for a bit, then went into building, networking and maintaining various database (various SQL engines) and mortgage software systems (mostly Encompass), which includes everything from creating users, creating cron scripts, replicating AD domains, offsite backups, web hosting, DNS zone creation, pretty much everything they need, I work for several mortage companies, a bank, 2 credit unions, a few real-estate companies, once set up, most of the work (maint) is done right from my home, I hate 9 to 5. :)

All the discussion has been about whether a 20 year old computer could still be used on the internet. I have questions about whether a 20 year old computer could be using a color printer. If its a 20 year old printer, or even a 10 year old printer, I'm not sure they could still get cartridges for it, and if they are using a more recent printer I have my doubts that the drivers would work. I'd say the friend is blowing smoke out her...ears.

My only credentials on this subject are being a stingy SOB who until I finally broke down about a year ago and bought new computers bought all my boxes used and kept them and upgraded them until I couldn't get software to run on them anymore.

Thats cool. But the sad thing is when someone.... Hey I have question. I have the evil AOL Dialup. Jeess I hate it. Its like a virus. There was this thing I think it was aol.exec. It would take about 90% my cpu. I deleted it. Now I have this pop up from aol from its core services to install that I keep deleting, Any recommendations. obtw things run fine without it.

Last edited:
Well business card says "Network Administrator/M.I.S", but they just call me 'the computer guy'. Started out as a repair/tech back when it made sense to repair the computer (before integrated motherboards), did a run with a small ISP, which I found to be very demanding, so kind of drifted for a bit, then went into building, networking and maintaining various database (various SQL engines) and mortgage software systems (mostly Encompass), which includes everything from creating users, creating cron scripts, replicating AD domains, offsite backups, web hosting, DNS zone creation, pretty much everything they need, I work for several mortage companies, a bank, 2 credit unions, a few real esatate companies, once set up, most of the work (maint) is done right from my home, I hate 9 to 5. :)

I started by integrating PC's for a reseller and then moved to be an OS/2 Lan Server Engineer. OS/2 was the best operating system of the time (just couldn't compete with the Microsoft Sales machine). After OS/2 started it's downfall I moved over to supporting Novell Networks for a mid-west bank for about 10 years. During this time I also had some time helping our Microsoft team integrating AD with eDirectory and supporting some of their systems during a short periord of time. I have since moved on to be within our Unix support team concentrating on Linux. I sometimes have to support Solaris and help with AIX. My current favorite NOS is still NetWare. To bad Novell does not know how to market itself.

Thats cool. But the sad thing is when someone.... Hey I have question. I have the evil AOL Dialup. Jeess I hate it. Its like a virus. There was this thing I think it was aol.exec. It would take about 90% my cpu. I deleted it. Now I have this pop up from aol from its core services that I keep deleting, Any recommendations.
Your only solution is to burn your computer at midnight under a full moon, while making a blood oath to the gods of the internet that you will never allow the demon of AOL to possess its replacement.

Your only alternative, which might or might not work, it to delete anything related to AOL from your computer, but chances are you won't find everything. I had success with one of my daughter's computers by reformatting her hard drive and starting completely over.

Your only solution is to burn your computer at midnight under a full moon, while making a blood oath to the gods of the internet that you will never allow the demon of AOL to possess its replacement.

This is much better than what I was going to say. :D

Your only alternative, which might or might not work, it to delete anything related to AOL from your computer, but chances are you won't find everything. I had success with one of my daughter's computers by reformatting her hard drive and starting completely over.

Yah! I agree. I will when RoadRunner comes to town from TWC.

My current favorite NOS is still NetWare. To bad Novell does not know how to market itself.

I worked (contract work, not on payroll) for a medical billing company some years back, they STILL used all 14.4 modems and Novell on an OLD IBM/AS system for fileserving, afaik, the system is still up and running, it just won't die.

Thats cool. But the sad thing is when someone.... Hey I have question. I have the evil AOL Dialup. Jeess I hate it. Its like a virus. There was this thing I think it was aol.exec. It would take about 90% my cpu. I deleted it. Now I have this pop up from aol from its core services to install that I keep deleting, Any recommendations. obtw things run fine without it.

Theres a few things you can do, first is to use the search program on your computer to do a search for aol, after it finds the aol items you can delete them by right clicking and deleting. Another thing you can do is download a program called CCleaner from download.com and run it. its a pretty effective utility for removing programs and it does alot more than that if you want it to.

Also if you download programs such as instant messengers and games and a few other types some of them are bundled with aol, most will give you the option to not have it installed though aol seems to ignore this and install anyways and some software companies dont even tell you that aol is bundled with they're program and suddenly you find it on your system.

Reformatting should be the last option really, its not hard to get aol off your comp unless you are someone that looks at a computer and gets to shaking out of fear and paranoia of even having to be in the same room as anything thats newer than the 50's.:D

Restore the computer to a previous point. Reinstall windows after formatting the hard drive.

It isn't 20 years old, but I have a Mac IIci (circa 1989) with 80MB of RAM and an Ethernet card that has been on the Internet. It's not worth using it for this purpose on a full time basis, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts