Concerning DVB-S TV tuner cards

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Devros

Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Orinda, CA USA
Was told in another forum that if I plan to try Satellite TV in future, I need to include a 'DVB-S TV Tuner card' in my custom-build....but then CNET forum tells me that both DirectTV and DishNetwork require their own tuner boxes, so DVB-S TV Tuner cards are useless. I'm confused! Can anyone explain?

DIRECTV and Dish use encryption cards that only work with their equipment. They do not supply cards that work with DVB-S cards, it is a business choice they made, probably to maintain their copy protection.

But when you realize there is more to satellite TV than DBS services, those DVB-S2 cards become very useful. I've used one for many years and will continue to include DVB tuners in my computer builds.
:welcome: to the forum Devros

DIRECTV and Dish use encryption cards that only work with their equipment. They do not supply cards that work with DVB-S cards, it is a business choice they made, probably to maintain their copy protection.

So if DVB-S TV Tuner cards don't work with either DirectTV or DishNetwork, just what would these cards be good for? Is there some other reason to include one in my PC?

But when you realize there is more to satellite TV than DBS services, those DVB-S2 cards become very useful. I've used one for many years and will continue to include DVB tuners in my computer builds.
:welcome: to the forum Devros

Thanks for the welcome! I'm only beginning to research Satellite TV, so don't know much, but as my procurement list of components for custom-build is nearly finished, I need to fast-track this. Could you give me some idea what "more to satellite TV" there is, and just how they are "very useful"?

So if DVB-S TV Tuner cards don't work with either DirectTV or DishNetwork, just what would these cards be good for? Is there some other reason to include one in my PC?

If you like to experiment then they would be used for FTA(Free to Air). :) See the FTA forums on this board for more info and help.

As mentioned above look at the FTA section. There is a lot of free unscrambled TV being uplinked over KU (and C-Band).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts