Condition of 129 satellite

Ray S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Central NJ
I wanted a western arc dish installed but was told by the installer that 129 is barely functioning. My setup is currently two dish 500, one pointing to 61.5 and the other has two LNB's and gets signals from 110 and 119. I have a 501 and three DVRs. He is going to install a third dish, Eastern arc, and leave the the two Dish 500s. The dish 501 will be receiving from the 110, 119 and 65.5. The three DVRs will be receiving signals from the Eastern arc dish.

Three dishes seem a bit too much but he said that the Eastern and Western arc dishes can only handle three DVRs.

Is 129 on its way out?

129 is new. Installer is clueless....

The install is tomorrow afternoon. With my setup,would their have been any benefit to getting the Western arc dish rather than the Eastern arc. Will I be missing any New York locals? Is it true that the Eastern arc dish and the Western arc dilsh only have room for three receivers?

It seems from various posts that Dish is pushing the Eastern arc dish when their is a choice between the two. Any ideas why this is the case?

The previous satellite for 129 was failing and was replaced about a year ago with a brand new satellite with a strong signal.

New York locals and local sports channels are all on 61.5, so a Western Arc dish, which is 110-119-129 would still need your 61.5 dish. A "Dish 1000.2" gets 110-119-129 and has an input for another dish, so it could receive the 61.5 feed and send it to your receivers.

A 501 receiver cannot be used on Eastern Arc, period.

I am not sure how many receivers can be used with what equipment, but I am sure someone else will post on that.

The install is tomorrow afternoon. With my setup,would their have been any benefit to getting the Western arc dish rather than the Eastern arc. Will I be missing any New York locals? Is it true that the Eastern arc dish and the Western arc dilsh only have room for three receivers?

It seems from various posts that Dish is pushing the Eastern arc dish when their is a choice between the two. Any ideas why this is the case?

Your best bet would be to have the Installer keep your 110/119 Dish, but turn you 61.5 dish into a 61.5/72.7 Dish, but adding another LNB. That's what the installer did at my place & it works great. Also don't need another Dish, still just 2 dish's. 129 doesn't work well in the NE, so that's why I didn't do that setup.

JC

Only mpeg 4 vip receivers can be used with Eastern arc. Presently all receivers can be used with western arc. But soon they will be starting the transition to all mpeg 4 on western arc too. Probably in the next couple of years. More bandwidth using mpeg 4 = more hd channels per transponder. That is why they started the all mpeg 4 service with the eastern arc first. New subs only at first and the rest are being upgraded as they need the new dish to get all the hd channels.

Your best bet would be to have the Installer keep your 110/119 Dish, but turn you 61.5 dish into a 61.5/72.7 Dish, but adding another LNB. That's what the installer did at my place & it works great. Also don't need another Dish, still just 2 dish's. 129 doesn't work well in the NE, so that's why I didn't do that setup.

JC

I had your previous post printed out and showed it to him. He said it would not bring in both 61.5 and 72.7. I really had hoped that it could be done and suggested it to him several times.

I checked out the specks on the 1001.4. It has "three receiver output ports support direct connection to either three single-tuner receivers or three Dish Pro Plus (dual tuner) receivers (when used with a DP Plus Separators or a combination)." The installer was correct on this issue. Because I have the DVR501, he is keeping it connected to the two Dish 500s one receiving 110, 119 and the other 61.5. It looks like the only setup that would work with my configuration of equipment and location. If I wanted to add additional receivers, I still have the the two DP 34 switches which are connected to the two Dish 500s. I just would not get the new HD channels. I think at some point in the near future new Dishes will available to accommodate more than three receivers.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts